Project Black

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, Specky, clemo, Nige, Sy V, Dave Eds, DaveT, Elanlover, muley, Enright, algirdas, nitroman, GeoffSmith

Re: Project Black

Postby par » Sun 22.04.2018, 16:04

Replacement of the window weather seals were a priority as the old ones were really letting the car down:-

To get to the fixings for the weatherseal strips needs most of the door to be stripped down:-

par
Fanatic

Postby par » Sun 22.04.2018, 16:24

Unfortunately when the door is stripped down this inevitably leads to project creep so new parts were obtained from Wayne to refurbish the window mechanism as a couple of the runners had broken and only about half of the main slider/butterfly clip on one side was remaining:-

On one side the cable had been operating off the pulley and the pulley had completely seized so had to be freed up and lubricated:-

I also found out the reason it had been operating off the pulley as the cables had snagged inside the regulator and whoever had been in before likely took the cable of the pulley to get the extra travel to allow the window to close, so the cables had to be rewound back on to the drum without snagging. As the way of these things are this was only discovered after the window assembly had been completely re-assembled so all had to come out again :roll:

par
Fanatic

Postby par » Sun 22.04.2018, 16:35

Next level of project creep was discovering some corrosion around the bottom hinge where it attaches inside the door frame so removed the door to get some additional bracing welded in place:-

Removal of door revealed some further work was required (does it never end!), luckily it was only speaker wire that had been bodged:-

New speaker cable was then soldered in place properly with heatshrink applied:-

par
Fanatic

Postby par » Sun 22.04.2018, 16:44

Anyway back to where this series of repairs originally started with the replacement of the door weather seals. The replacement items are from a Honda courtesy of Jamie N (Master of Seals) which should prove to be a bit more robust and durable than the originals:-

A quick wash and the car was taken for a spin now that it was back in one piece. MOT is booked for next week so will check everything is working as it should over the next couple of days.
par
Fanatic

Postby Steve A » Sun 22.04.2018, 17:16

:clap: Great job, the Honda seals are a good alternative.
I think the window mechanism self destructs because the window travels down too far
and the nylon window holder then hits a small rubber stop (that isn't man enough or is missing) which causes it to break up.

I'm pleased with my seals and there easier to photograph on a red car

"If everything is under control, you are going too slow."
Steve A
God

Postby Rambo » Sun 22.04.2018, 18:40

Great job Stephen. If you need to practice on a couple more I can bring them up to you ;-)

Could be a good winter project for you this year if you want to earn some hard ready :smt023

PS Between you and the seal wrangler fae Rawshyte, I think you could have a good M100 business going
Rambo
Don't push me

Postby par » Sun 22.04.2018, 23:09

Steve A wrote:I'm pleased with my seals and there easier to photograph on a red car

Agreed, I think the black & red colour combination really works well.

Notice you have S2000 seats fitted also, we are slowly diluting the GM parts bin percentage on these cars :D
par
Fanatic

Postby Steve A » Sun 22.04.2018, 23:11

par wrote:
Steve A wrote:I'm pleased with my seals and there easier to photograph on a red car

Agreed, I think the black & red colour combination really works well.

Notice you have S2000 seats fitted also, we are slowly diluting the GM parts bin percentage on these cars :D

Yes the S2000 seats are so much better :D
Steve A
God

Postby par » Sun 22.04.2018, 23:14

Rambo wrote:Great job Stephen. If you need to practice on a couple more I can bring them up to you ;-)

Could be a good winter project for you this year if you want to earn some hard ready :smt023

PS Between you and the seal wrangler fae Rawshyte, I think you could have a good M100 business going

My back might have recovered from crawling around under an Elan by next winter, so you never know what I might agree to Mark!

Jamie loves working on modern Peugeot's too much to spend time on M100 projects :wink:
par
Fanatic

Postby Jamie N » Mon 23.04.2018, 07:37

par wrote:Jamie loves working on modern Peugeot's too much to spend time on M100 projects :wink:

Grrrr :evil: .
Monaco S2 #406

https://youtu.be/MGiyiIFjUew Rubbery stuff.
Jamie N
Seal God

Postby Scott J » Tue 24.04.2018, 16:56

Seats look great. Project coming along nicely. We need to have a wee get together again at Bo'ness, drag Jamie away from his Pugs, get his white Elan out on the road even if it might get dirty.
Discs n pads & MOT on Elise last week so I'm set up for summer now .
Some people beat Rambo from A to B.
Scott J
The prodigal son

Postby par » Tue 24.04.2018, 23:08

Agreed Scott!

I dont think I made it to Bo'ness once last year as anytime I could manage the weather was miserable :(
par
Fanatic

Postby par » Thu 10.05.2018, 21:27

Couple of little additions which freshen up the interior a bit:-

par
Fanatic

Postby dolmerob » Wed 23.05.2018, 08:19

I like the mats with logo. The color provides a nice contrast in the interior also.
dolmerob

Postby par » Wed 23.05.2018, 09:54

dolmerob wrote:I like the mats with logo. The color provides a nice contrast in the interior also.

Thanks, I had thought about changing the whole carpet to red to get the contrast as Maz has just done in his YHO Chronicle project thread but went for the easier route of just the mats :D

My wife said fixing on the badges was the hardest sewing she has had to do but I found placing the mats in the footwells very simple :lol:
par
Fanatic

Postby par » Tue 05.06.2018, 23:20

Latest addition from the House of Jamie © catalogue of alternative parts to replace the old worn, ripped and twisted piece of OEM rubber. New front lip has a more defined shape yet still retains a high degree of flexibility to cope with the friendly speed bumps:-

par
Fanatic

Postby Steve A » Wed 06.06.2018, 08:53

:x Bugger now I want one :lol:
Look like a good upgrade, does it fit in the same way as the original L shape rubber?
Steve A
God

Postby par » Wed 06.06.2018, 10:55

Steve A wrote::x Bugger now I want one :lol:
Look like a good upgrade, does it fit in the same way as the original L shape rubber?

Yes it fits in the same way although the fixings have been upgraded to Honda parts so they wont rust solid and need to be removed by the Dremel screwdriver :wink:
par
Fanatic

Postby Steve A » Wed 06.06.2018, 21:34

Is it as bendy as the original ?
Mine usually cops it when the car bounces onto the brake test rollers at the MOT station :roll:
Steve A
God

Postby Jamie N » Thu 07.06.2018, 08:54

Steve A wrote:Is it as bendy as the original ?
Mine usually cops it when the car bounces onto the brake test rollers at the MOT station :roll:

Almost Steve, they are not hard plastic, more of a Copolymer rubberised plastic, they are genuine GM
front bumper bottom lips, and are approximately 10mm deeper than the OEM one.

Things like these are never easy to convey properly with pictures, they look so much better in the real and don't
really look like an add on, which has probably got a lot to do with how well it sits on the bumper, provided its
fitted with due diligence and a good eye.

As Steven said its held on with SS Honda screws so future removal will be simple if and when required.
Its not OTT, has a nice textured finish, takes conditioning gel really well and imparts an air of freshness
if you have the usual old scuffed and scruffy one. ;-)

Monaco S2 #406

https://youtu.be/MGiyiIFjUew Rubbery stuff.
Jamie N
Seal God

PreviousNext

Return to Projects - Car (Major)