Connector plugs for Gemini Aquila alarm

Moderators: theelanman, nitroman, Specky, clemo, dapinky, Dave Eds, GeoffSmith, Nige, DaveT, Sy V, Elanlover, muley, Enright, algirdas

Connector plugs for Gemini Aquila alarm

Postby KenS » Sun 10.06.2018, 19:15

Hi, does anyone know the brand and type of connectors used on the Gemini Aquila 5160T alarm unit (used on the S2)? I have a Toad Ai606 ready to replace the original Gemini, was thinking that it would be easier if I could source the correct connector half to terminate the Toads wiring, making it a quick swapover for most of the connections. They look similar to Molex Micro-fit connectors, but those do not come in 3 row style (looks like they are split as a 3x3 and a 3x5 pin matrix). Any leads appreciated !
S2 NMY #285
KenS

Re: Connector plugs for Gemini Aquila alarm

Postby Saltire » Sun 10.06.2018, 20:02

Been there, tried to do that, got the T-shirt :?

I searched high and low without success. Eventually I labelled the wires going into the Aquila, cut the connectors off and used two new multiway connectors with new terminals soldered onto the wires. Somewhere - if I can find it - I have a conversion chart between the old Aquila wiring colours and the new Toad alarm.

It’s not too hard, but it is a bit of a faff
Jonathan

S2 no 512, BRG, magnolia interior, last of four UK S2 to this spec
Saltire
God

Location: Skagway, Alaska & up to Whitehorse, Yukon Territory

Postby KenS » Mon 11.06.2018, 21:23

Starting to think that changing the alarm is a job to put off for the winter when I can pull the dashboard in slow time to make access easier. Meanwhile I try to map out my exact connections, especially the black ones. Do you know if the Gemini ultrasonic sensors can be re-used on the Toad or do they need stripping out and swapped for ones supplied with the Toad?
S2 NMY #285
KenS

Postby Saltire » Mon 11.06.2018, 21:51

No, Ken, the Toad comes with its own ultrasonics which must be used. I also fitted a microwave and tilt sensors as options. Contrary to what the Toad instructions say, I fitted the ultrasonic sensors in the OEM locations. It’s a bit of a faff, because you have to remove the windscreen header rail and enlarge the holes slightly, but it can be done. I took the opportunity to add a dash cam power supply, a digital radio aerial and connectors for some extra LED lighting in the foot wells while I was up there.

You’ve reminded me to look out my notes of the connections - may save you a pile of time.
Jonathan

Saltire
God

Postby Saltire » Tue 12.06.2018, 21:05

I’ve found my connection schematic, but it needs a couple of changes. Once they’re done - a day or so - I’ll PM it across to you. For obvious reasons, I don’t like to put details about the alarm systems on the open forums.
Jonathan

Saltire
God

Postby KenS » Wed 13.06.2018, 21:53

Thanks Jonathan, any info will certainly be useful. One of those jobs that takes some courage to start !
S2 NMY #285
KenS

Postby Saltire » Thu 14.06.2018, 11:14

Hi Ken, you have an email with lots of details in it. Let me know if anything's not clear.
Jonathan

Saltire
God

Postby KenS » Thu 14.06.2018, 20:29

Email received, many thanks Jonathan, a lot of useful info which makes the job a lot less daunting.
S2 NMY #285
KenS

Return to Electrical / Electronics / Stereo / Lights etc.