Justin's I.B.10

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, GeoffSmith, Dave Eds, DaveT, Elanlover, muley, Nige, Enright, nitroman, algirdas, Sy V, Specky, clemo

Justin's I.B.10

Postby JusNoGood » Sun 14.10.2018, 17:10

When Clemo asked me at the Lotus 70th whether I had done any work on the car I had a complete mind blank and said no :banghead: I have done a little so thought I'd better write it down before I completely forget :D

I bought the car in January. There were a few bits and bobs I knew needed doing. Nothing serious, just enough to keep me entertained with my new hobby. So I set about putting those things right first:

- The fuel tank had a crack in the neck. The fault was subject to a recall in the 90's but I guess my car spent far too much time off the road to get it done. So tank was replaced with a brand new one.
- Fixed a number of the dash light bulbs
- Upgraded the front brakes to HiSpec.
- Fixed the drivers window - with the help of JC (Brit car nut) and Clemo.
- Service: New spark plugs, changed oil & oil filter, new air filter

The MOT only just passed in Jan. Hazard switch had to be fiddled with and emissions weren't great. Also at this point the car was stuttering under heavy acceleration or load.

- Fixed temperamental hazard warning light. Turned out the bracket behind the switch was broken so I moved it to a spot with a blank switch and it now works.
- Reading up on here I thought the emissions may be down to the 20+year old O2 sensor. So I set about trying to remove the current one trying everything including a Turbo torch!

Then back to fiddling and improving:
- Replaced all four speaker and the gastly silver cd head unit with a black modern unit.
- Fitted an immobiliser
- Removed all the wax on the car. Then applied Gtechniq Exo and Crystal Serum. Love this stuff. really does protect the car and is super easy to clean.
- Replaced the open foam underfelt with closed foam.
- Switched the driver and passenger seats - to share out the wear and tear.

Went to Castle Coombe not having replaced the O2 sensor. Pinky also pointed me to my faulty heater valve.

- Replaced the rusted heater valve with a new rubber V40 one. Also found the heater wasn't plugged in!
- Finally removed and replaced the O2 sensor. Phew! Nothing like the pride of doing a tricky task yourself and not giving in and calling in the professionals.
- Fitted a CTek dash socket so I can keep the car battery conditioned and ready to go. Also removed a number of old unused wires from the transmission tunnel.
- Bought and fitted a wind deflector

Went to Lotus 70th.

- Yesterday I got round to fitting new coil packs which has resolved the stutter. Drives like new now.

List of things still to do:

- When I turn off the Windscreen wipers they don't return to their starting position.
- My coolant reservoir is only attached by a single bolt (+ a cable tie to give it some temporary support). It did originally have a strap that went round it but that has perished over time. So need to do something there...
- Some of the Lotus wheel centres are scratched up and could do with replacing.
- My stereo turns itself off on occasion when driving over bumpy roads.
- Rear lights mist up. So need to take those out, dry off and reseal.
- Voltage, oil and boost gauges mist up. I've drilled holes in the top of them but not cured it :?
- The bonnet stay is on the right of the bonnet and doesn't support it properly. I originally thought that was perhaps a prototype part. I've noticed holes in the front of the engine bay so I'm not quite sure now. I have a broom that works really well for now but need to work out what to do.
- Drivers a-piller is a bit rough near the top.
- Short shift
- Any recommendations for floor mats please? My lotus ones constantly get caught up in my feet when driving.

At Lotus 70th I had a discussion with David Monument, the first owner of the car, and found out a few bits on the car aren't original. So mulling over what to do...

- Do I refit the original orange indicator lenses
- Do I fit a yellow and green lotus badge on the bonnet. It has a black one currently which looks really nice but the first owner said it didnt leave the factory with it.
- First owner also said he replaced the SE wheels with S2 wheels...which I had thought was done by the factory.
Last edited by JusNoGood on Mon 15.10.2018, 18:57, edited 1 time in total.
JusNoGood
Fanatic

Re: Justin's I.B.10

Postby Rambo » Sun 14.10.2018, 19:25

A few comments Justin...

I believe that the cracked neck of the fuel tank was only a recall situation in the States. I don't think there was a recall here but I may be wrong ? Someone confirm or correct me

If you are going for originality ie everything OEM then replace the orange indicator lenses, the correct Lotus bonnet badge, the SE wheels etc...

But then someone will question the HiSpec calipers, the wind deflector, the CTEK dash socket etc...

It all depends on you and how much factory originality you want. It's not a concours car so I'd say do whatever you think best. After all, it's your baby
Rambo
Don't push me

Postby clemo » Sun 14.10.2018, 19:35

here comes project creep .

Voltage, oil and boost gauges mist up. I've drilled holes in the top of them but not cured it

If you do find a fix for this let us all know as this is something we all suffer from .

- Do I refit the original orange indicator lenses
- Do I fit a yellow and green lotus badge on the bonnet. It has a black one currently which looks really nice but the first owner said it didnt leave the factory with it.

Personal taste . i like it the way it is BUT i do understand original . which i am finding myself a bit of a stickler for.

- First owner also said he replaced the SE wheels with S2 wheels...which I had thought was done by the factory.

I reckon given that yours is the America test car i reckon these would be 16" feds . which would probably be what a fed IB test car was set up for . Though given you have the last P reg car to leave the factory ( yes there was another special build that went to cloggerland that is no longer as it got wrapped round a tree ) BUT 96 = s2 wheel ....
whatever it is... i love your car .....
Jim Clark S2 - 1/12. The one with the Yellow spoke wheels . No 613 on dash (pushed in to factory in wrong order 615 on tub)
clemo
LEC Administrator

Postby Brit-Car-Nut » Sun 14.10.2018, 19:41

clemo wrote:Voltage, oil and boost gauges mist up. I've drilled holes in the top of them but not cured it

Isn't that why Lotus changed the dash lights (S2?) to be on all the time? The extra heat helped prevent misting...
Please contact me via eMail, not by PM
Lotus Manuals
Brit-Car-Nut
God

Postby John_W » Sun 14.10.2018, 20:02

:agree:
But I don’t get misty gauges and I have an SE and live in Scotland. :smt102
Mind you, the oil pressure gauge has pinpricks of light shining through its face. :(
John_W
Heid-bummer

Postby clemo » Sun 14.10.2018, 20:21

Brit-Car-Nut wrote:
clemo wrote:Voltage, oil and boost gauges mist up. I've drilled holes in the top of them but not cured it

Isn't that why Lotus changed the dash lights (S2?) to be on all the time? The extra heat helped prevent misting...

Whilst this may be correct it didn't solve the issue on my S2 but lets be honest Chris Goffey on Top gear assured us by the time the elan came to production it wouldn't leak !.
Jim Clark S2 - 1/12. The one with the Yellow spoke wheels . No 613 on dash (pushed in to factory in wrong order 615 on tub)
clemo
LEC Administrator

Postby clemo » Sun 14.10.2018, 20:24

Rambo wrote:A few comments Justin...

I believe that the cracked neck of the fuel tank was only a recall situation in the States.

As the Fed test car maybe thats why ? .....

But as far as i know others have fuel tank issues ... Pinky always runs at 3/4 ...
clemo
LEC Administrator

Postby Rambo » Sun 14.10.2018, 20:32

Correct. Some cars had filler pipe issues but I don't think there was an official recall over here
Rambo
Don't push me

Postby JusNoGood » Mon 15.10.2018, 18:54

Hi Rambo, Clemo is right. My car has the Fed fuel system so I saw the US recall bulletin and assumed that should have been adhered to on mine. Funny enough the first replacement tank I bought was from fleabay and that too had a split in the same place! I gave up and bought a brand new one after that. You can see JC referring to the recall here: https://forum.lotuselancentral.com/view ... 37&t=21443

Is it easy to take the gauges apart? There's a lot of moisture staining on the inside of the glass. I'd like to clean them and dry them out and see if that helps. Turning my dash lights on doesn't help at all...well, seems to help mist them up if anything!

Thanks for the comments Clemo :-D Yes, I really do love my car too. Very pleased with my purchase and really enjoying tinkering with it and driving obv. I wont be turning it into a standard SE but I'm constantly battling with whether to improve it or keep the history.

Everything I've done so far can be reversed. I have the original Fed springs, brake callipers and can easily remove the wind deflector and CTEK. I bottled fitting a boot switch at the weekend as although I wanted the practicality I couldn't bring myself to cut into the boot. I have the orange bits in a bag Dave Noble gave me...so might just try them out to see what they look like :D I've also got my eyes on JC's short shift when money allows.
JusNoGood
Fanatic

Postby Simon_P » Mon 15.10.2018, 19:21

JusNoGood wrote: improve it or keep the history.

Improve, much like upgrade is in the eye of the beholder. The Spanish cleaner who restored the painting in the Church springs to mind when I hear those words.
They only made history once, and with classic cars originality usually commands a premium.

That said its your car so improve away!
Simon_P
God

Postby JusNoGood » Wed 24.10.2018, 13:00

Yes, now working on sneaking a second car into the Evans garage....ib10 would then stay standard(ish) and the second would be used for long miles and experimentations.

Just need to convince the Mrs it takes priority over boring stuff like paying my daughters Canadian accommodation fees :-D
JusNoGood
Fanatic

Postby JusNoGood » Sun 28.10.2018, 11:32

This morning I thought I would investigate the water ingress in the passenger footwell. I've read a lot about the seal on the heater vent perishing.

So I've removed the wheel arch liner and I think I've discovered I have a piece missing...

This is what I initially saw
IMG_6323.jpg
IMG_6323.jpg (69.32 KiB) Viewed 2213 times

and when I moved the light flimsy foam out of the way

IMG_6324.jpg
IMG_6324.jpg (73.11 KiB) Viewed 2213 times

Am I missing a bit of hard plastic or rubber there to bridge the gap? I cant quite make it out on the parts drawings.
JusNoGood
Fanatic

Postby dapinky » Sun 28.10.2018, 11:44

Justin,

The 'light flimsy foam' you mention is the very hi-tech' Lotus part for joining the 2 bits...... there is nowt else!

That said, it breaks down over the years, and I have replaced mine with a piece of old rubber inner tube and 2 cable ties (as have other people) - not fallen off yet, and works well.

If it wasn't well-sealed at the 2 ends, it would reduce airflow and allow water in anyway.
Dave

Just the one now, but this one's mine! - and it will be finished eventually.....

go on - click this link - you know you want to!
dapinky
LEC Administrator

Location: As far west as you can get in West Wales before you become Irish (Pembroke Dock).

Postby JusNoGood » Sun 28.10.2018, 11:49

Thanks Dave. It wasn't sealed. I think it was more resting there and torn...and yes I do get a light breath on me when the heater is on rather than a strong air blast. So perhaps worth me replacing it.

Humm...need to find something now. Inner tube you say. What type of inner tube did you use out of interest? bigger than a bicycle one I'm guessing?
JusNoGood
Fanatic

Postby dapinky » Sun 28.10.2018, 17:23

I had an old car tube in the garage so I chopped a bit out of that and used it...... but I suspect that a piece of a bike tube could be opened out, wrapped round and secured???
Dave

Just the one now, but this one's mine! - and it will be finished eventually.....

go on - click this link - you know you want to!
dapinky
LEC Administrator

Location: As far west as you can get in West Wales before you become Irish (Pembroke Dock).

Postby JusNoGood » Sun 28.10.2018, 20:01

I searched around for one but realised I haven't had an inner tube since my Grifter days in the 1970's :lol: I tried a bit of closed foam but couldn't get a good seal. I'll contact SJSports tomorrow to see if I can add one to my pending order :D
JusNoGood
Fanatic

Postby JusNoGood » Sat 10.11.2018, 16:37

I had very slow indicators. So today I replaced the relay. Now back to normal speed :D

I replaced the washer stalk too. I thought that might be the cause of the wipers stopping and not returning to park wherever I turn them off. If I slowly click to intermittent and then off they park where they should now. If I click through from wipe to off they stop where they are, not sure if this is normal?

I set my CTek socket into a blank switch space in the dash with Sugra. Easily removed but looks a lot tidier now.

I'm convinced I had an under tray when I viewed and bought the car, but I've not got one anymore :?: So bought a new one from SJS. The radiator support frame is in very good condition having previously been coated in what I'd guess is Hammerite. It had a few scuffs so I wire brushed and then did four coats of Hammerite direct to rust.

I've tried making a replacement for the "high tech" foam heater vent. Tried a few bicycle inner tubes and some closed foam but I've not been happy with the result so I've ordered an official one from SJS, hopefully it'll last another 20 years :)

I seem to have a few of what Lotus refer to as M10 and M12 Bobbins missing. I'd assume they are rubber bungs to block up some of the holes. Does anyone know where I can get some from please?
Screenshot 2018-11-10 at 15.32.39.png
JusNoGood
Fanatic

Postby Brit-Car-Nut » Sat 10.11.2018, 16:55

JusNoGood wrote: I seem to have a few of what Lotus refer to as M10 and M12 Bobbins missing. I'd assume they are rubber bungs to block up some of the holes. Does anyone know where I can get some from please?
Screenshot 2018-11-10 at 15.32.39.png

Bobbins are two piece collars that protect the fiberglass tub from getting damaged by the bolts holding it to the chassis. To replace any, the body needs to come off the chassis and a special tool is used to properly crimp them. I got a couple of new floor pan assemblies and they were both missing some of the bobbins. It appears that Lotus started to run out before they stopped making cars, so they only put all the bobbins in bodies going to the production line. I tried to get replacements but none were available.

Grommets are basic rubber plugs or surrounds to protect things passing through the holes or just plug unused holes.
Please contact me via eMail, not by PM
Lotus Manuals
Brit-Car-Nut
God

Postby JusNoGood » Sat 10.11.2018, 18:40

Ah! Thanks John. I was reading the diagrams incorrectly. Yes that's what I'm after Grommets to plug the unused holes :D
JusNoGood
Fanatic

Postby Saltire » Sat 10.11.2018, 20:31

Lots on eBay, or at any decent motor factor. Try the supplier ‘massiveattack007’; they generally have a good selection.
Jonathan

1995 Elan S2 no 512, BRG/magnolia, last of 4 UK S2 to this spec
2019 Volvo XC40 (arrives 9/12)
Saltire
God

Location: Left foot in Wiltshire, right foot in Gloucestershire, heart in Scotland

Next

Return to Projects - Other (Minor)