Elan Wanted

Elans wanted within the U.K.

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, Dave Eds, Nige, DaveT, Sy V, Elanlover, muley, Enright, algirdas, nitroman, clemo, Specky, GeoffSmith

Elan Wanted

Postby ecc » Fri 10.01.2020, 00:52

Yes, I know, I should never have sold the first one I bought. Regretted that decision, although I had my reasons for the sale.

Now in a position to pick up a replacement - storage issues sorted out now that I've moved house, etc. Doesn't seem like there's much on the market though at the moment; the usual high-priced ones that I seem to remember from a couple of years ago which still (unsurprisingly) haven't been sold, and a couple of beaten up ones that I can't see being particularly cost-effective to bring back to life. Nothing in the Goldilocks zone.

So now once again looking for a mechanically-sound, cosmetically reasonable (doesn't have to be perfect by any stretch of the imagination) Elan. One that can hit the ground running without requiring a couple of grand being spent on things which need dealing with before it's roadworthy and driving like it should. Made that mistake the first time...

Any ideas? Thanks!
ecc
Tinkerer

Re: Elan Wanted

Postby Rambo » Fri 10.01.2020, 08:22

Hello Emma. Welcome back. It's winter so I can see why you would prefer 4 wheels over 2 but I can't recommend anything at present. If you PM me your budget, or post on here, I will keep my eyes open :roll:
Rambo
Don't push me

Postby Saltire » Fri 10.01.2020, 09:10

Welcome back, Emma. Will keep my eyes open, although - as Mark says - the market’s a bit quiet at the moment. Keep an eye on the upcoming Brightwells auctions though; they sometimes have an Elan and they’re fairly local to you in Leominster. Next one is here; no Elans as yet, but catalogue will fill out closer to the day.
Jonathan

1995 Elan S2 no 512, BRG/magnolia, last of 4 UK S2 to this spec
2019 VW Golf R - “The Flying Tomato”
2020 Volvo XC40 T4 AWD
Saltire
God

Location: Left foot in Wiltshire, right foot in Gloucestershire, heart in Scotland

Postby ecc » Fri 10.01.2020, 09:19

It'll be around the £7-8k range, give or take.

Too old and brittle now (or should that be too sensible and cautious?) for motorcycles.

Although if I was sensible and cautious, surely I'd be looking for an MR-2? Or a comfy armchair?
ecc
Tinkerer

Postby clemo » Fri 10.01.2020, 09:27

Hello again eec.
It is nice to know that your elan experience pulled you back.
As others have said above its strangely quiet at the moment. Late Jan / Feb is traditionally the time when people say time to sell up as not used enough.
Jim Clark S2 - 1/12. The one with the Yellow spoke wheels . No 613 on dash (pushed in to factory in wrong order 615 on tub)
clemo
LEC Administrator

Postby dapinky » Fri 10.01.2020, 10:58

Hi Emma,

As others have said, it is a bit quiet at the moment..... this isn't always great news when you want one!

The problem with this is that when a good one does come up, a few people may want it, and it can be a case of "if I don't get it quick, I'll lose it...." and you end up compromising on what you may really want.

Alternatively, you THINK that is the case, so don't do anything, then lose what could have been the ideal car. :roll:

It is always hard to judge prices when there are few for sale, but 'traditionally' people want a bit more for a 'Summer' car when selling in the Spring, and they are a bit cheaper at the start of Autumn....... so getting the sweet spot isn't easy.......... in fact, it is impossible if there is nowt out there that you want to buy!

Okay, that said, your budget is a sensible one, and *should* get you what you have asked for - I'll keep my eyes open.
Dave

Just the one now, but this one's mine! - and it will be finished eventually.....

go on - click this link - you know you want to!
dapinky
LEC Administrator

Location: As far west as you can get in West Wales before you become Irish (Pembroke Dock).

Postby Bern » Fri 10.01.2020, 11:26

A few on eBay:

Elans on eBay

Good luck!
'90 Elan SE
'05 Mazda MX5
'16 Renault Zoe
'03 VW Transporter
'72 Land Rover 88
'80ish Kubota B5100E
Bern
Fanatic

Postby Rambo » Fri 10.01.2020, 15:31

Slightly outside your price bracket Emma but this one looks nice to me. Jersey import plus it has had a lot of important work done to it. It has a lovely shine to the paintwork and the alloys look good with their new Toyo rubbers. No photo of the engine bay etc but they can always send you some if interested

https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C996707

It has been on C&C for a wee while now so, if you like silk red, give them a bell. I would have gone to look at it myself but Dorset is right at the end of the country for me

Only thing I don't like are the stripey red/charcoal leather seats with the silk red colour of the car. However I do think it would look nice if the stripes were silk red
Rambo
Don't push me

Postby ecc » Fri 10.01.2020, 16:53

I remember that silk red. Probably my favorite color, and a beautiful car. Huge depth to that paintwork.

As a side note, maybe I'm thinking only of the good parts of my "relationship" with my old Elan. Not the bad parts, like the four-figure service costs to get it into shape...

That said, took a ride in one today that wasn't bad. Needs some work, but very promising. But could end up costing £8k+ when all is said and done, so why not bite the bullet and get one where the things wrong have already been put right?
ecc
Tinkerer

Postby KenCarson » Fri 10.01.2020, 17:01

There's a silver SE in Pershore on Autotrader. Low miles, appears to have been laid up for a few years.
KenCarson

Postby ecc » Fri 10.01.2020, 18:26

That's the one I saw today. Lovely owner, car was in reasonable shape - hadn't been "molested", but wasn't a show car either (so sort of in the ball park of what I'm looking for, to be honest). Nothing horrific stood out on the test drive, although the car badly needs its suspension set up properly; rear is clearly a too high, and the front offside dipped significantly more than the nearside when an average-sized driver was sat inside. I had this remedied on my prior Elan and I recall that it wasn't particularly cheap to do - seized bolts that needed cutting, and lots of adjustment necessary. Took SWLC a day or so to deal with, the final invoice stung a little (as one would expect), but the drive home was a delight compared to the drive down. Tyres could use replacing with some quality rubber all round, and it's coming up to its MOT. It's also been used very little, if at all, over winter, and I reckon a basic service while it's getting the suspension sorted would be useful, as it hasn't had a going-over by a Lotus expert for three years. Rear window was slightly fogged, a few bumps and scrapes here and there, but generally the car lay comfortably somewhere the extremes of "total embarrassment that I'd be ashamed to drive" and something so precious that Nigel Tufnel would tell me I couldn't even point at it. (Hope there's some Spinal Tap fans here, otherwise that last one won't make much sense.)

I'd expect there to be a grand's worth of work needed to get it to where it should be (which is what I spent on similar things last time I picked up an Elan), excluding tyres which'll add at least a few hundred more on top of that. Which puts the car (at its current price) in line with the beautiful Silk Red linked to above, where all of the little bits and pieces that cost a small fortune have been addressed.

Mulling over making an offer, but I don't think it'll be close to what the owner expects. Around the six grand mark? Quite a reduction, but there's no point owning a Lotus if it doesn't drive like a Lotus.
ecc
Tinkerer

Postby niall » Sat 11.01.2020, 00:00

I have just agreed the sale of my Malvern flat so now need to shift my Elan. I shall PM the OP with details.
niall
Fanatic

Postby ecc » Sat 11.01.2020, 01:11

Message received. Let's meet.
ecc
Tinkerer

Postby Fredjohn » Sat 11.01.2020, 01:17

Welcome back Emma! Knew you'd regret it: the Elan and it's community is addictive.
You might be local and lucky if Niall is selling! Keep on touch if you need anything.
La vie passe vite: vivez la avec elan(s).

Elan S4 DHC 1969
Elan SE turbo 1992
Evora 2010
MB CLK 320CDi 2007
Boardman Endurance SLR 9.4 disc carbon road bike
Swift Sundance Lifestyle 500
Fredjohn
God

Postby ecc » Sat 11.01.2020, 09:15

Been a while!
ecc
Tinkerer

Postby texas2201 » Mon 13.01.2020, 08:13

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 3435530978 still love the car and after 13 years it needs to go ....open to offers....pension gap and bills :-(
http://www.extremepetrolhead.blogspot.com/

"brakes are no good - they just slow you down" Fangio :-)
texas2201
God

Postby Alsie50 » Sat 18.01.2020, 21:48

Alsie50

Postby Bolsom » Wed 04.03.2020, 17:03

Hi tinkerer,

Are you still looking? I may have what you want. 1991 34515 miles MOT.d here in france Last Dec. (fairly strict now) . Steel blue with hardtop. Bought in 93 (crashed)
The upper rear wishbone bent and body damaged. Replaced wishbone and broken body area replaced. I have worked abroad for many years - hence the low mileage
Old reg. no. J478DYO. Condition - pretty good. The hardtop has some shallow depressions in. Which appeared about 3 months after purchase - Enquiries
to maker ignored. I forget his name but then I'm 83. and the last person on here to criticize was attacked by all!
I take it out for a spin now and then to keep it ticking over. With the low speed limit here (50MPH) its frustrating. New cambelt about 50 miles ago.
It has always been garaged - so the only time it has seen rain was once when I was driving it here. I did 90 most of the way - it was easier then 2002.
I Forgot an Everest chip.

If you are interested - give me a ring. France 0468 694853

Colin

PS - had a bad cancer (of tongue) 12 years ago so may have to talk via my wife. Some people can understand, others can't.
Bolsom
Fanatic

Postby a5gcd » Sun 22.03.2020, 23:21

Emma, I have sent you an Email regarding my Elan.
Geoff
a5gcd
Fanatic

Return to UK Cars - Wanted