New dials needed

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, Dave Eds, Nige, DaveT, Sy V, Elanlover, muley, Enright, algirdas, nitroman, clemo, Specky, GeoffSmith

Re: New dials needed

Postby DavidEJM » Mon 10.02.2020, 20:02

Great, thanks all.

How about getting that instrument panel in? Can it be done in one piece? Will I need to make sure the neighbours are out of earshot?
Oooooh shiney!
DavidEJM
Fanatic

Postby Saltire » Mon 10.02.2020, 22:45

I have had the full instrument panel in and out four or five times. The first time it took about 3 hours to remove; last time I had it out, work done and reinstalled within 45 minutes, including coffee.

My preferred approach now is to leave the main instruments in the panel and just unplug harness connectors and speedo cable. Steering wheel off, column cowl and column switches off, unscrew the fixing screws (9, IIRC), and finally - and the worst part - unclip the heater rod from the control panel Read the manual and it becomes a lot clearer/easier. The panel should then slide gently forward and up and out. Be particularly careful of the lower right hand corner next to the instrument pack; it’s really easy to crack it on removal. I reinforced mine with some GRP mat while I had the panel on the bench.

On reinstallation, do the heater rod first, then gradually ease the panel back into place, loosely fit the screws, replug the harness connectors and speedo cable, and finally tighten everything up and test.

As a matter of interest, I have a couple of spare instrument panels in the roof of the garage, which I bought in case I broke mine.

Good luck!
Jonathan

1995 Elan S2 no 512, BRG/magnolia, last of 4 UK S2 to this spec
2019 VW Golf R - “The Flying Tomato”
2020 Volvo XC40 T4 AWD
Saltire
God

Location: Left foot in Wiltshire, right foot in Gloucestershire, heart in Scotland

Postby wayne » Tue 18.02.2020, 16:41

As Saltire says, main instrument cluster is quite easy to remove, mine has been in and out several times. (helps if you have small hands). I can't comment on heater dials.
I normally just take steering column cowls off and binnacle cover and disconnect wiring and speedo cable and it will come out (mine's a LHD car, so not sure if this makes a difference.

If you still need dials, I just spotted a set advertised on ebay for £20. Here:
1992 Pacific Blue, Top end performance Kit. K&N airfilter& HKS BOV. Everest. HiSpec fronts, SS hoses. 2010 Canyon red Evora.
http://www.elanm100.com
wayne
God

Previous

Return to Electrical / Electronics / Stereo / Lights etc.