Elan runs for a few seconds then shuts off

Post cries for help here if your topic fits no other thread in this category.

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, Nige, Elanlover, Sy V, muley, Enright, algirdas, nitroman, GeoffSmith, clemo, Dave Eds, Specky, DaveT

Elan runs for a few seconds then shuts off

Postby loti-lew » Sun 24.01.2021, 17:26

All, I think this is my first time posting, but I must thank all of you. I can't tell you how many times I have searched this site and found much needed information.

Last year I took my Fed 1991 Elan to work, and during a quick run for lunch It stopped running. I was in a scary spot, but it would run for a few seconds which with a couple of tries got to a place I could park (until I could get it towed). I guess some of you know how hard it is to get your Elan home with such low ground clearance (the third tilt back tow truck was able to rescue me).

So, I can hear the fuel pump when I turn the key on, I do get an error 34 Manifold absolute pressure sensor circuit, but from what I'm reading that circuit should not stop the engine after two or so seconds. I do realize if the ECM does not receive a signal from the ICM it will shut down the fuel delivery in two seconds, so I thought I would replace the ICM, which was no help. I'm going to check and see if the cam angle sensor is providing the signal to the ICM. On a side note one reason I did replace the ICM was the car did overheat enough to dump some antifreeze on the ICM. The fans didn't come on, but that was an easy fix, and happened months before. Where am I going with all this. If anyone else has had this problem please let me know what you did to fix it. Thank you in advance.

Lew
loti-lew

Additional information

Postby loti-lew » Sun 24.01.2021, 23:30

I don't seem to have the 5 volt reference voltage, first checking at the MAP, then back probing the C14 pin on the ECM (key on not running). Isn't there an ECM for a Isuzu (maybe and impulse) that can be substituted?
loti-lew

Re: Elan runs for a few seconds then shuts off

Postby Simon_P » Tue 26.01.2021, 03:51

Do you have elanscan?

Is the CEL on or is it just a stored code?

Will it run with a bit of throttle?
Simon_P
God

Postby loti-lew » Tue 26.01.2021, 20:47

Not for this problem have had Elanscan working in the past, but most recently I'm getting an error, when trying to run it.

The CEL is constantly on, of course the MAP sensor needs the 5 Volt reference to produce a return signal so not too surprising.

I haven't tried a couple of seconds is not a long time, also the TPS needs a 5 Volt reference.

I'm thinking of giving it my own 5 Volt reference, maybe as a test.
loti-lew

Postby Simon_P » Tue 26.01.2021, 23:22

loti-lew wrote:I haven't tried a couple of seconds is not a long time, also the TPS needs a 5 Volt reference.
The question was rather to see if extra air made it run longer the signal is just a reference

loti-lew wrote:I'm thinking of giving it my own 5 Volt reference, maybe as a test.
.better to identify why it isn't getting 5v.

If you haven't found it already there is a fault finding manual EMK
Simon_P
God

Postby loti-lew » Wed 27.01.2021, 01:58

If memory serves me when pushing down on the gas pedal didn't help the situation, or hurt, I was certainly pumping the pedal when it stopped in traffic

I could probably put 5 volts on C14 wire (ECU), and might do that this weekend, I'm in the states and have read that the ECU was used on some GM cars, so if I find out which it was used on, I can get one put in the MEMCAL from the Elan and test the theory about the ECU. I'm thinking it could be the ECU,

On a side note checking EBAY there is a TPS which I did order if you search for a SERA484-10 (worldwide search, because it ships from China) the TPS seems to be a likely substitute for the ELAN, there will be some modifications for the cable attachment to the TPS. The attachment lugs are the same, so no modification needed there. Resistance seems to be the same as well. In my case I'm always looking for bits and bobs that could keep the M100 on the road

I do have EMK thanks for jumping in two heads are always better than one.

Maybe the little circuit board on my Elanscan interface cable isn't working anymore, wouldn't think it was the driver, because it worked before, same laptop.
loti-lew

Postby Simon_P » Wed 27.01.2021, 11:38

Have you checked the harness connections?
Simon_P
God

Postby loti-lew » Fri 29.01.2021, 02:48

Did you have some particular ones in mind? I have checked some, but I'm open to suggestions. Including Grounds.

It would be nice if anyone knew what GM cars our ECU came from. I saw one that looks close on ebay, right size, connectors, and the right MEMCAL connector. Of course my thoughts would be did this GM have fuel injection, did it have a turbo, would it matter. I figure there has to be someone out there who knows.

Thanks again all.

Lew
loti-lew

Postby loti-lew » Fri 29.01.2021, 02:51

On a side note it did find posts on another site of a person that had the same problem, ran for a couple of seconds and then shut off. It was at a dealer and they couldn't find the problem, so he went to the community to see if anyone had any ideas. I followed the threads then they stopped, I thought it would have been nice if they told me it was fixed and how.
loti-lew

Postby Giniw » Fri 29.01.2021, 03:12

Hi,
Have you checked the fuel pump actually delivers the right pressure? I understand it runs but it could be weak?

loti-lew wrote:It would be nice if anyone knew what GM cars our ECU came from. I saw one that looks close on ebay, right size, connectors, and the right MEMCAL connector. Of course my thoughts would be did this GM have fuel injection, did it have a turbo, would it matter. I figure there has to be someone out there who knows.
Lew

https://www.thelotusforums.com/forums/topic/10879-ecu/ maybe?
Giniw
God

Return to Miscellaneous Problems - Need Help!