MEMCAL 9930 Wanted.

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, Nige, Elanlover, Sy V, muley, Enright, algirdas, nitroman, GeoffSmith, clemo, Dave Eds, Specky, DaveT

MEMCAL 9930 Wanted.

Postby Neil.G » Wed 06.10.2021, 14:50

Afternoon all,
MOT due and the end of the month and I'm in need of a 9930 chip to help with emissions, I can do an exchange with SJS but believe they're on back order with Lotus and didn't really want the car off the road in the interim. Has anyone got a spare hidden away in a box they want to sell? Or trade? I have a spare sump in pretty good condition or a cam cover that could be polished up a bit.
Cheers all.
Neil.G

Re: MEMCAL 9930 Wanted.

Postby dapinky » Wed 06.10.2021, 19:35

I have got one...... somewhere......

...... I'll try and remember to have a search through my spares in the garage.... or the loft..... or the little bedroom......

....It'll be in one of those 3 places (hopefully)

{I had it in mine when I got the car but went closed loop, and I don't remember giving it to anyone.}
Dave

Just the one now, but this one's mine! - and it will be finished eventually.....

go on - click this link - you know you want to!
dapinky
LEC Administrator

Location: As far west as you can get in West Wales before you become Irish (Pembroke Dock).

Postby Neil.G » Thu 07.10.2021, 06:55

dapinky wrote:I have got one...... somewhere......

...... I'll try and remember to have a search through my spares in the garage.... or the loft..... or the little bedroom......

....It'll be in one of those 3 places (hopefully)

{I had it in mine when I got the car but went closed loop, and I don't remember giving it to anyone.}

That would be fantastic Dave,
You must have a tonne of spares to take up so much room. You appear to be custodial gatekeeper of all things elan, I have one of your old engines in mine.
Thanks,
Neil.
Neil.G

Postby dapinky » Sun 10.10.2021, 14:27

Neil,

I have searched through my 'usual hiding places' but failed to locate it, sorry.

I did find a 'mountain' switcher chip which has the 9929 & 9930 profiles on it (according to the writing on it), but not the original 9930 chip.

All I can think is that I have donated it to someone in the past, as I wouldn't have thrown it away. Sorry again. :(
Dave

Just the one now, but this one's mine! - and it will be finished eventually.....

go on - click this link - you know you want to!
dapinky
LEC Administrator

Location: As far west as you can get in West Wales before you become Irish (Pembroke Dock).

Postby Neil.G » Mon 11.10.2021, 07:06

dapinky wrote:Neil,

I have searched through my 'usual hiding places' but failed to locate it, sorry.

I did find a 'mountain' switcher chip which has the 9929 & 9930 profiles on it (according to the writing on it), but not the original 9930 chip.

All I can think is that I have donated it to someone in the past, as I wouldn't have thrown it away. Sorry again. :(

Morning,
I appreciate you searching. Never mind, looks as though the SJS route is the only way forward, best get my order in pronto.
Again, thank-you for trying.
Neil.
Neil.G

Postby Neil.G » Tue 19.10.2021, 14:42

Afternoon,
My 9930 MEMCAL is on its way. Any advice on set up? I'm happy with fitting to ECU but is it a case of setting O2 potentiometer back to nominal and resetting ecu? Is it a case of counting turns of CO2 screw all the way in and then halfway back? Is the only way to use a multimetre off the car to find active window of potentiometer and screw it out to lowest setting?
Lots of questions, hopefully not all daft.
Cheers,
Neil.
Neil.G

Postby RonR » Fri 05.11.2021, 13:11

Hope you've got your emissions under control now Neil!

BTW If anyone has an Elanscan download of a 9930 prom they could send me it would be great.
I'd like to investigate what changed between 9929 and 9930, and also have an idea for a small project...
RonR
Enthusiast

Postby Neil.G » Sat 06.11.2021, 18:58

RonR wrote:Hope you've got your emissions under control now Neil!

BTW If anyone has an Elanscan download of a 9930 prom they could send me it would be great.
I'd like to investigate what changed between 9929 and 9930, and also have an idea for a small project...

Hi Ron,
Yes, new Mem-Cal made a huge difference. My previous Co2 readings were at 5-6% an obvious MOT fail with the upper Elan SE allowance set at 3.5%. Using a multimetre I set the new chip to 401 ohms and the car sailed through emissions at 2.9% :clap: . As previous posts have indicated the window of chip operation is very small and a minute turn of the screw makes a huge difference. Anyone in the same predicament should take the time to remove potentiometre and manually set it using multimetre, although spark-plugs and leads will of course play their part. Mine were changed the year before and I also used 99 ron fuel to cover all bases :D
Cheers,
Neil.
Neil.G

Return to Elan Parts - Wanted