Hood Replacement South West England

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, Nige, Elanlover, Sy V, muley, Enright, algirdas, nitroman, GeoffSmith, clemo, Dave Eds, Specky, DaveT

Hood Replacement South West England

Postby Critter10 » Thu 13.01.2022, 10:08

Can anyone recommend a good hood replacement company in the SW of England? I emailed TA & JM Coburn in Swindon, but got no reply and the phone rang off the hook. I'm after a really good tailor-made hood and am prepared to pay a premium if necessary.

Thanks in advance.
1992 SE Calypso Red
Critter10

Re: Hood Replacement South West England

Postby Saltire » Thu 13.01.2022, 11:34

Critter10 wrote:Can anyone recommend a good hood replacement company in the SW of England? I emailed TA & JM Coburn in Swindon, but got no reply and the phone rang off the hook. I'm after a really good tailor-made hood and am prepared to pay a premium if necessary.

Thanks in advance.

Coburns have sadly retired and the business is no longer in operation AFAIK. I have heard very good things about South West Auto Trimming in Calne. A good friend is having them retrim the entire interior of his V12 E-type at the moment. No personal experience as yet, but my seats are off to them for some retrimming in the next month or so, so I can report back if required.

EDIT: also on Facebook, if you are partial to that sort of thing :D
Jonathan

1995 Elan S2, BRG
2016 BMW 440i MSport
2022 Mini Countryman Cooper S
Saltire
God

Location: Left foot in Wiltshire, right foot in Gloucestershire, heart in Scotland

Postby Rambo » Thu 13.01.2022, 12:03

Critter10 wrote:Can anyone recommend a good hood replacement company in the SW of England? I emailed TA & JM Coburn in Swindon, but got no reply and the phone rang off the hook. I'm after a really good tailor-made hood and am prepared to pay a premium if necessary.

Thanks in advance.

It's not just the hood you need, it's all the OEM seals which are no longer available (unless your name is Jamie and you can make better rubber ones :wink: )

Also, the fitting of the new hood can be problematic so you are looking for a reputable source. Unfortunately I do not know one anymore, although it might be worth contacting SW Lotus, seeing as they are in your area, for their viewpoint.

I'm sure Allon White (Bedford area) does hoods, coach trimming etc....so it might be worth contacting them as well https://allonwhite.co.uk/

No affiliation to either company
Rambo
Don't push me

Postby Critter10 » Thu 13.01.2022, 18:45

Thanks for the very quick replies. I realise the seals will be a problem, although my thinking at the moment is that I'll simply have to recycle what I have. SW Lotus look after my car at the moment, so I will contact them. Piper Trimmers, in Sparkford, completely overhauled my seats last summer an did a fantastic job, so I may see what they can do. Calne is not a million miles away, so they're certainly worth a call - thanks.
1992 SE Calypso Red
Critter10

Postby MPx » Thu 13.01.2022, 20:38

:offtopic:

More info than I knew about already posted here, so no further help, sorry...but I'm intrigued.

Is your car the one I'd have seen on a recent visit to the Combe Farm estate? Haven't seen any other red ones locally.

/ :offtopic:
Mike - MPx
95 M100 Elan S2 (423)
86 Turbo Esprit
but no longer Carlton no 808 nor Sunbeam S1 :(
MPx
Fanatic

Postby Critter10 » Fri 14.01.2022, 12:44

MPx wrote::offtopic:

More info than I knew about already posted here, so no further help, sorry...but I'm intrigued.

Is your car the one I'd have seen on a recent visit to the Combe Farm estate? Haven't seen any other red ones locally.

/ :offtopic:

I certainly visit Combe Farm Estate occasionally so that's quite possible. It would have been some time ago - probably September/October time?
1992 SE Calypso Red
Critter10

Postby MPx » Fri 14.01.2022, 13:44

Yes could have been, I was having my car trailer refurbed at Combe Farm Engineering and saw it in the driveway of a house on the right as I went down towards their unit. Thought it might live there...
Mike - MPx
95 M100 Elan S2 (423)
86 Turbo Esprit
but no longer Carlton no 808 nor Sunbeam S1 :(
MPx
Fanatic

Postby Critter10 » Sat 15.01.2022, 18:14

MPx wrote:Yes could have been, I was having my car trailer refurbed at Combe Farm Engineering and saw it in the driveway of a house on the right as I went down towards their unit. Thought it might live there...

No, that wasn't me. I live about 7 miles away. So, there may be another red SE in the area?
1992 SE Calypso Red
Critter10

Postby exeterjeep » Wed 27.04.2022, 08:43

SJ do replacement hoods, they are actually made by a chap called Guy at West country trimmers in Bovey Tracey. He also does the trimming work for SWLC. Happened to find out when I took my MG ZS headliner to him.
exeterjeep

Return to Hood/Top, Bodywork and Fittings