New Large Bore Exhaust by PECO for S1 Elans with no flat bit

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, Specky, clemo, Nige, Sy V, Dave Eds, DaveT, Elanlover, muley, Enright, algirdas, nitroman, GeoffSmith

Postby JIMBO » Tue 04.04.2006, 21:36

Seems to me that John_W has done his homework and there is little or no gain in going to a 2.5" diam. exhaust. On this basis I would be satisfied with 2.25" unless it helps to make up the numbers for the bigger one.

Jim
JIMBO
Fanatic
 
Posts: 320
Joined: Tue 25.11.2003, 23:24

Postby Paul.P » Tue 04.04.2006, 21:54

David wrote:We would certainly be able to offer a discount for an LEC group buy.
Various tail pipe designs are available.
The system is 2.25".
2.5" system is not available.

Dave Jones
Head of R & D
PECO

PS. we can also offer a Rolling Road day if anyone is interested.
£25 per car, minimum of 10 cars, maximum of 25.
Only on a saturday.


David, very interested in a system & would like it fitted. With regards to the rolling road can you tell us where your based. What sort of price are you offering us LECers then ?
JPS M100 was built from bare chassis up to create one off M100 in the mould of JPS Team Lotus
Paul.P
God
 
Posts: 4970
Joined: Sun 14.12.2003, 18:18
Location: Oakham, Rutland

Postby GeoffSmith » Tue 04.04.2006, 22:28

Following a bad experience with a speed ramp at work (exhaust punctured and reset to a jaunty angle) I'm looking for an exhaust as well.

If I can pitch in to the 2¼" vs 2½" discussion from an electronics engineering point of view (resistance of a conductor and all that), I think the important parameter is the total resistance which is proportional to the length and inversely proportional to the area (it's easier to blow through your a**ehole than blow through a hose pipe). There are undoubtedly second order effects (transmission line and skin effects plus other resistance/obstructions (bends, silencers & cats) but to a first order and using John's figures with a total exhaust length of ~12' (144"):-

Standard Lotus squished : (144 - 8) / 3.142 + 8 / 2.5 = 46.5
Unsquished 2" : 144 / 3.142 = 45.8 or 1.4% better than standard
2¼" : 144 / 3.976 = 36.2 or 22%
2½" : 144 / 4.909 = 29.3 or 37%

Being slightly contentious and provocative, I suggest that Lotus knew what they were doing and that the squish is probably not that critical for the standard setup.

I tend to agree and think that 2¼" will be adequate for all but the most adventurous mods.

David, do you MIG or TIG weld and what about the S2 - pre-cat back (presume this applies to you too Ailwyn)?

I'm definitely interested in the price for a bulk buy.
Calypso Red S2 #417

USB ElanScan interfaces - £60 incl. UK P&P & £65 incl. ROW P&P
User avatar
GeoffSmith
Kitty Fiddler
 
Posts: 15628
Joined: Fri 03.02.2006, 21:57
Location: S2#417 in Tytherington, Gloucestershire

Postby ailwyn » Tue 04.04.2006, 22:38

geoffsmith wrote:David, do you MIG or TIG weld and what about the S2 - pre-cat back (presume this applies to you too Ailwyn)?


I am leaving my pre-cat in place for the moment and would use this to remove the main cat.

What happens later... Have a stiffy on order which will probably gather dust for a while (might even remove the pre-cat houing from my spare engine and dry-fit the stiffy on there).

Once I'm ready to see what the next steps are I may swap the pre-cat for a stiffy, then swap back for MOTs, or look at replacing the peco or just the appropriate section of it with a sportcat or removeable cat.

I'm hoping to realise the full everest potential by fitting the peco so stage 2 will hopefully be a while off :D

Ailwyn
ailwyn
Forum Member
 
Posts: 3361
Joined: Tue 09.08.2005, 20:45

Postby GeoffSmith » Tue 04.04.2006, 23:10

What exhaust did theelanman have fitted for £275?
Calypso Red S2 #417

USB ElanScan interfaces - £60 incl. UK P&P & £65 incl. ROW P&P
User avatar
GeoffSmith
Kitty Fiddler
 
Posts: 15628
Joined: Fri 03.02.2006, 21:57
Location: S2#417 in Tytherington, Gloucestershire

Postby theelanman » Wed 05.04.2006, 02:32

geoff
there are a couple of people who had it done here now ...

http://lotuselancentral.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5185

christ followed me at Donington and wanted to know where I had it done...sy has alos heard it.....

I'm very impressed....it's only 2.25" but no squish a custom made and fitted...it was a bargain from my point of view... + incresded performance on standard.......
cheers
G
I’m normally not a praying man, but if you’re up there, please save me, Superman.
User avatar
theelanman
Moderator
 
Posts: 7296
Joined: Fri 30.04.2004, 15:52
Location: peak district

Postby nitroman » Wed 05.04.2006, 05:11

My oil pan sits lower than anything else under the car, even with a 2.5" exhaust. Don't know what size you'd have to go to to be lower than the pan. It is worth mentioning that installing the cat from Bill's exhaust eliminates boost creep, so even that makes a difference in the flow.

My flow up here in heaven at 1000' is universally down by .2 bar at the top-end, although I notice no lack of spool-up time (turbo-lag) or loss of bottom-end torque. It just seems that 1000' feet of elevation decreases the density of air enough that the turbo cannot grab enough of it to compress. That is why I'm installing the larger compressor-wheel, which like a larger fan can simply scoop-up more air. At the same time I'm porting the wastegate so that the car is drivable (can hold a constant, controllable boost) at any altitude I happen to be at.

Do it once, do it right.
User avatar
nitroman
Moderator
 
Posts: 3554
Joined: Fri 18.04.2003, 01:17
Location: Jacksonville, FL

Postby Doug » Wed 05.04.2006, 06:24

nitroman wrote:That is why I'm installing the larger compressor-wheel, which like a larger fan can simply scoop-up more air. At the same time I'm porting the wastegate so that the car is drivable (can hold a constant, controllable boost) at any altitude I happen to be at.

Do it once, do it right.


what ya gunna do with those parts, blanco?
Image
User avatar
Doug
LEC Founder
 
Posts: 7468
Joined: Thu 17.04.2003, 06:43
Location: Oregon Coast, USA

Postby nitroman » Wed 05.04.2006, 19:10

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1,1&item=8052604000&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3APIC These parts I bought? Or are you trying to get me to talk about a transaction which hasn't happened yet?
User avatar
nitroman
Moderator
 
Posts: 3554
Joined: Fri 18.04.2003, 01:17
Location: Jacksonville, FL

Postby GeoffSmith » Wed 19.04.2006, 01:06

I'm on my second set of exhaust bandages, so I need to get something sorted sooner rather than later. It's all gone a bit quiet on here - is there still any interest in a group buy of 2¼" systems? I'm after an S2 system from pre-cat back with oval tail pipe.

David: Have you any idea of price structure yet (quantities, fitted/not fitted, P&P, Paypal vs CC vs cash), can you arrange for fitting anwhere other than Liverpool? If it would be easier for you, I don't mind co-ordinating multiple purchases.

Geoff
Calypso Red S2 #417

USB ElanScan interfaces - £60 incl. UK P&P & £65 incl. ROW P&P
User avatar
GeoffSmith
Kitty Fiddler
 
Posts: 15628
Joined: Fri 03.02.2006, 21:57
Location: S2#417 in Tytherington, Gloucestershire

Postby ab2cv » Wed 19.04.2006, 11:03

geoffsmith wrote:is there still any interest in a group buy of 2¼" systems? I'm after an S2 system from pre-cat back with oval tail pipe.
Geoff

My S2 exhaust looks like it's on it's way out, so I'd be interested in adding my name to the above, as long as the pre-cat is enough to get through an M.O.T. 2¼" sounds adequate enough based on John_W analysis and oval pipe keeps standard look.

Alan
(location added to profile)
Last edited by ab2cv on Thu 20.04.2006, 00:03, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
ab2cv
Fanatic
 
Posts: 619
Joined: Wed 30.06.2004, 18:30
Location: Edinburgh

Postby GeoffSmith » Wed 19.04.2006, 19:11

Alan,

I've read up as much as I can about this, because I don't want to spend out on an exhaust for life and then have to cut it about for the MOT. By all accounts, the pre-cat appears more than capable of getting through the MOT by itself - I haven't found anyone who has had problems. It is obviously not guaranteed, but there is a high probability of success, so I am prepared to take the (very slight) risk.

Geoff.

PS where abouts are you Alan?
Calypso Red S2 #417

USB ElanScan interfaces - £60 incl. UK P&P & £65 incl. ROW P&P
User avatar
GeoffSmith
Kitty Fiddler
 
Posts: 15628
Joined: Fri 03.02.2006, 21:57
Location: S2#417 in Tytherington, Gloucestershire

Postby ab2cv » Thu 20.04.2006, 00:12

David wrote:Also like to say that this system does fit an S2 and it will still pass the MOT emission test providing your pre-cat is in working order.
Just reread the thread to find this quote that answers my previous question. :oops:

Geoff, I'm in Edinburgh

Alan
User avatar
ab2cv
Fanatic
 
Posts: 619
Joined: Wed 30.06.2004, 18:30
Location: Edinburgh

Postby David » Thu 20.04.2006, 15:44

Hi all,

sorry i've been a long time getting back to you, pressure of other work.

Prices for M100 exhaust systems:- 1 - £325.00 carriage £15.00
2-4 £292.50 carriage £20.00
5+ £276.25 carriage free

Anybody want to come to Birkenhead and have it fitted, i'll do it FOC.

Before & after power run on the rolling road £50.00.

Regards,

Dave Jones
Head of R & D
PECO
David
Newbie
 
Posts: 17
Joined: Fri 02.01.2004, 23:08

Postby Rambo » Thu 20.04.2006, 16:35

Dave,

Assuming we can get 5+, and I'm sure we will, count me in for a full 2 1/4'' SS system. I'm still undecided on the inner tail pipe, purely from an aesthetic viewpoint not an engineering one, but I may be persuaded. I will take you up on your offer of fitting and drive down from Scotland at a convenient time to us both.

Mark
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
User avatar
Rambo
Don't push me
 
Posts: 9144
Joined: Wed 24.12.2003, 00:37
Location: Both sides of the Tweed

Postby GeoffSmith » Thu 20.04.2006, 23:42

Thanks for the prices David - looks like you might have three already. Does carriage free for 5+ apply to 5 different drops (Bristol, Edinburgh, Rothiemurchus....) or would you want us to coordinate a drop-off points for multiple of fives?

Mark, I'm not convinced about the aesthetics of the tailpipe either; perhaps the inner could be sprayed matt black as a compromise?

I've tried to get in touch with a few people on eBay who've bought systems to guage any feedback. So far I've had:
A French lady wrote:Personnely i think it's a better exhaust than the origin one , in the first hand there is less elbow and in the second they have add a choc absorber.The sound is great like a subaru and the assembling takes 3 hours. I think that with a kn airfilter you will gain some horsepower.
I hope you will like this exhaust, more there is a european guaranty.

Another wrote: can thoroughly recommend both Cybox as an ebay shop and their Elan exhaust system.
I did have an initial problem in that the exhaust rattled slightly. I emailed Cybox, and they called me back within two hours with some advice. After some adjustment everything has been fine since.

And another wrote:The exhaust fitted OK with no problems. There was a boost turbo in power which cuts the fuel at .92 This is a problem which I am trying to sort out. If you you get the same problem, let me know how you overcame the fuel cut off.

I told the last one about overboost and told them all to look at LEC.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Calypso Red S2 #417

USB ElanScan interfaces - £60 incl. UK P&P & £65 incl. ROW P&P
User avatar
GeoffSmith
Kitty Fiddler
 
Posts: 15628
Joined: Fri 03.02.2006, 21:57
Location: S2#417 in Tytherington, Gloucestershire

New Large Bore Exhaust

Postby algirdas » Fri 21.04.2006, 06:24

Dear David:

I'm interested for probably no better reason than to take advantage of a group buy and to facilitate one for other members. I can always put it on a shelf for now.

Question 1: I need a catalytic converter here in Colorado or the car won't pass emissions. Do you make these systems for a 1991 Elan SE California Fed version? If not, any suggestions on a Plan B for me?

Question 2: Does your offer of "free carriage" include shipping to Fort Collins, Colorado? That's in the United States. If not, how much would shipping be? Or should I plan on taking a very large suitcase with me to Stoneleigh? I doubt the exhaust system will fit in the overhead compartment or underneath the seat in front of me. Its okay to call me a "cheeky bugger" since Britons have called me that on several occasions. I have no idea what it means, but since they were smiling when they said it, I guess I should take it as a compliment.

Sincerely,

Algirdas
Noli illegitemi carborundum.
User avatar
algirdas
Moderator
 
Posts: 1093
Joined: Mon 19.01.2004, 03:20
Location: Fort Collins, Colorado

Postby ab2cv » Fri 21.04.2006, 10:38

geoffsmith wrote:Thanks for the prices David - looks like you might have three already. Does carriage free for 5+ apply to 5 different drops (Bristol, Edinburgh, Rothiemurchus....) or would you want us to coordinate a drop-off points for multiple of fives?

I'm definitely interested at that price and happy to make up the numbers.

Rambo wrote:I will take you up on your offer of fitting and drive down from Scotland at a convenient time to us both.

4 hour drive to Birkenhead. Would probably be worth it actually to take advantage of the rolling road as well.

Alan
User avatar
ab2cv
Fanatic
 
Posts: 619
Joined: Wed 30.06.2004, 18:30
Location: Edinburgh

Postby nickb » Fri 21.04.2006, 12:03

Sounds Very good I'd like to join in on the group buy as well.

My car is an S2 if that makes any difference???

Thanks

Nick
User avatar
nickb
Enthusiast
 
Posts: 162
Joined: Wed 27.04.2005, 10:27
Location: Essex

Postby ailwyn » Fri 21.04.2006, 12:55

nickb wrote:My car is an S2 if that makes any difference???


As long as you still have the pre-cat and it works then you should be fine for the MOT as this exhaust starts from the bottom of the downpipe.

Ailwyn
ailwyn
Forum Member
 
Posts: 3361
Joined: Tue 09.08.2005, 20:45

PreviousNext

Return to Exhaust

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests