New Large Bore Exhaust by PECO for S1 Elans with no flat bit

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, Specky, clemo, Nige, Sy V, Dave Eds, DaveT, Elanlover, muley, Enright, algirdas, nitroman, GeoffSmith

Postby GeoffSmith » Tue 02.05.2006, 13:13

David,

Thanks for the interesting and thought provoking post. As the exhaust bandage has held so far, I for one would be willing to delay making a decision if we were going to get some good comparative data.

According to Powerflow, they use "… state-of-the-art hydraulic bending machines" for pipes "… up to 3"!!!!" but does not specifically state whether they are mandrel or compression bends. Have Monty/Dico got any more information? I can see that compression bends will not only reduce the area but will make for more turbulent airflow so I can see how 2¼" could outperform 2½".

There are obviously quite a few potential customers for you here David - although it is probably not the overriding consideration, do you have any scope for a further price reduction for a larger bulk order?

As this thread has been running for some time, it might be getting a bit stale. If you are offering to perform (presumably free?) comparative dyno runs, it might be worth starting a new thread elsewhere, looking for volunteers and/or feedback from those not necessarily looking for an exhaust. Otherwise, does anyone know of anyone with a 2½" Powerflow exhaust near Birkenhead?

One last thing is the US market - Algirdas is interested, so it would be useful for him if you could post any comments on the Fed eBay feedback above.

Look forward to your next post.

Geoff
Calypso Red S2 #417

USB ElanScan interfaces - £60 incl. UK P&P & £65 incl. ROW P&P
User avatar
GeoffSmith
Kitty Fiddler
 
Posts: 15628
Joined: Fri 03.02.2006, 21:57
Location: S2#417 in Tytherington, Gloucestershire

Postby ailwyn » Tue 02.05.2006, 19:36

geoffsmith wrote:see you in Newport Ailwyn?


If the powerflow system does pan out then this would be a better option for me as I can get it custom built with a highflow cat and get the stiffy fitted, might be a while before I can meet you in Newport as I'm in the middle of rebuilding the back brakes and then moving on to the wilwoods before the car is back on the road - will probably be about a month given my lack of time to get anything done.

Ailwyn
ailwyn
Forum Member
 
Posts: 3361
Joined: Tue 09.08.2005, 20:45

Postby Monty » Tue 02.05.2006, 19:50

Not 100% sure if Powerflow are mandrel bent :? I`m sure Dico will let u know!
Last edited by Monty on Sat 06.05.2006, 15:41, edited 1 time in total.
Image
User avatar
Monty
Chunder King!
 
Posts: 7977
Joined: Sun 11.01.2004, 22:32
Location: Leeds

exhaust

Postby discovery » Wed 03.05.2006, 15:22

For £250 circumcised and fitted , count me in for a Peco.
discovery
Enthusiast
 
Posts: 125
Joined: Fri 16.07.2004, 08:13
Location: Leeds ,West Yorks

Postby Enright » Wed 03.05.2006, 17:18

Just had a thought after seeing a pic at the start of this thread - could Peco quote for just the front bit up to the prongeron? (No fitting required - just P&P on top of that)

What is required is the front flange, pipe including flexi part and then ending just at the crest of the prongeron "bridge". I would be interested in this as it could match a possible future Stiffy installation.
Striking fear into the hearts of duplicate posts everywhere...! :P

BCingU,
Neil ;-)
User avatar
Enright
Modificator
 
Posts: 4860
Joined: Sun 19.12.2004, 19:21
Location: Arnold, Nottingham, England

Postby GeoffSmith » Wed 03.05.2006, 20:31

Moved to page 7
Last edited by GeoffSmith on Wed 10.05.2006, 22:12, edited 7 times in total.
Calypso Red S2 #417

USB ElanScan interfaces - £60 incl. UK P&P & £65 incl. ROW P&P
User avatar
GeoffSmith
Kitty Fiddler
 
Posts: 15628
Joined: Fri 03.02.2006, 21:57
Location: S2#417 in Tytherington, Gloucestershire

New Large Bore Exhaust

Postby algirdas » Wed 03.05.2006, 21:22

Dear Geoff:

I spoke to David and you can move me up to "probable" if not "definite". That would be:

Algirdas, Colorado, Not fitted, Standard, No Rolling Road

I would prefer to have the price be 250GBP (or less).

I may need to coordinate picking up the system with the next time I am there so that I can get a VAT refund. In other words, I'd pay for it now and just pick up the system and the paperwork the next time I am passing through. My recollection is that I would have to get it out of the country pretty soon after picking it up in order to get the VAT refund. I need to work that out with David directly.

Sincerely,

Algirdas
Noli illegitemi carborundum.
User avatar
algirdas
Moderator
 
Posts: 1093
Joined: Mon 19.01.2004, 03:20
Location: Fort Collins, Colorado

peco exhaust

Postby johnbenk » Fri 05.05.2006, 15:22

Hi all

By the time you guys "get exhausted " summer will be over.


I am ejoying sound ever more after I drove with the hood down underneath an airport runway near Manchester. The "echo" sound from the exhaust note is fantastic, being a sad sicko drove back through the underpass just to hear the sound. :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D

Must record noise, but how do you download to a website :!: :!: :!:


JBK
User avatar
johnbenk
The only Gay in the Village
 
Posts: 248
Joined: Wed 21.09.2005, 20:46

Postby GeoffSmith » Fri 05.05.2006, 17:09

John,

Thank you so much! I've had a few other thingsto think about!

If you can zip the file to less than 1Mbybte, you can attach it here! When you post, there are some boxes at the bottom to "Add an attachment". Press the "Browse…" button and navigate to where the file is on your computer. Select the file and press "OK". Add a suitable comment in the "File comment" box if you so wish then presss the "Add Attachment" button and hey presto!

Geoff
Calypso Red S2 #417

USB ElanScan interfaces - £60 incl. UK P&P & £65 incl. ROW P&P
User avatar
GeoffSmith
Kitty Fiddler
 
Posts: 15628
Joined: Fri 03.02.2006, 21:57
Location: S2#417 in Tytherington, Gloucestershire

Postby Monty » Sat 06.05.2006, 15:40

Geoff, i`ve put my name back on the list as the Powerflow Exhaust system doesn`t seem to be Manderal bent :shock:

#, ID, Location, Fitted, Tailpipe style {standard=oval with inner, circumcised=oval no inner}, Rolling road

Probable:
1, geoffsmith, Bristol, No, Standard, No
2, Nickb, Essex, No, ???, No
3, Dovey, Lincoln, ???, Standard, Yes
4, ab2cv, Edinburgh, ??? , ???, ???
5, Jimbo, Bury St. Edmunds, Yes, ???, ???
6, Rambo, Rothiemurchus, Yes, ???, ???

Definitely probable but probably definite at £250:
7, Algirdas, Colorado, No, Standard, No

Probable:
8, Ailwyn, Pontypridd [@ £250]
9, jay_thomas, ??? [@250]
10, Lancelot, Nottingham & Bedford, ???, Circumcised [@ £250]
11, ajax317, Bromley, No, Standard, No [YES@£250, otherwise maybe]
12, discovery, Leeds, Yes, Circumcised [@ £250]
13 Monty, Manchester, fitted, Circumcised. 1 rolling road [@ £250]

Maybe:
14, Enright13, Nottingham [front section only PRICE????]

Image
User avatar
Monty
Chunder King!
 
Posts: 7977
Joined: Sun 11.01.2004, 22:32
Location: Leeds

Postby Dico » Sat 06.05.2006, 16:25

:wink:
Last edited by Dico on Wed 10.05.2006, 21:23, edited 1 time in total.
4+ hours stuck in a damp bucket seat with a mad Irishman at the wheel - Deep joy!!!!
User avatar
Dico
Fool Boy Four - Founder
 
Posts: 3569
Joined: Mon 01.12.2003, 09:45
Location: Moderator Manchester

Postby GeoffSmith » Sat 06.05.2006, 17:52

Jay and Paul, whilst it's nice to have you back, it's a shame you've wasted your time and efforts for nothing. I've updated the list presuming you're back in Paul - let me know if I've been a bit premature.

All is not lost however, I've made contact with the head of a nationwide supplier who may be able to negotiate us a discount for a group purchase and future LEC purchases. I hope to speak to him on Monday.

One other thing to think about: I spent some time looking into exhaust diameters as I knew that some of you were keen on a 2½" system. I found a technical article (which I can't find again :evil: ) which said that the optimum diameter was related to engine power i.e. the 6" diameter system stuck out the the back of a 1.2l Corsa was not necessarily good! :-D

The reasoning was that the smaller the diameter, the faster the exhaust flowrate. The exhaust gases travelling down the exhaust after each exhaust valve opens causes a high pressure wave with a low pressure region behind. The low pressure helps to "suck" the next lot of exhaust gases out (I think it was refered to as scavenging). Obviously, if the diameter gets too small, the resistance of the exhaust then stops the gasses being emitted efficiently and the conventional arguments of bigger the better apply.

I think that the bottom line was that, for a given exhaust diameter, there is an optimum range of power for maximum benefits and I'm sure that 2¼" was good for 200-250hp. I think we'd all be interested if anyone (David :poke: ) could shed a bit more light on the subject.

Sorry if I appear to have been a bit inactive, but I've got ECU MEMCAL PROM corruption problems! :evil:

I'll try to keep everyone posted if we make any progress.

Geoff

P.S. It would help me if you could PM me your e-mail address as it's a bit time consuming filling in ~15 PMs with the same message.
Calypso Red S2 #417

USB ElanScan interfaces - £60 incl. UK P&P & £65 incl. ROW P&P
User avatar
GeoffSmith
Kitty Fiddler
 
Posts: 15628
Joined: Fri 03.02.2006, 21:57
Location: S2#417 in Tytherington, Gloucestershire

Postby Dico » Sat 06.05.2006, 19:38

geoffsmith wrote: it's a shame you've wasted your time and efforts


And cash!
Cross me off Geoff, unfortunately i now have an exhaust (of some description).
4+ hours stuck in a damp bucket seat with a mad Irishman at the wheel - Deep joy!!!!
User avatar
Dico
Fool Boy Four - Founder
 
Posts: 3569
Joined: Mon 01.12.2003, 09:45
Location: Moderator Manchester

Postby GeoffSmith » Sat 06.05.2006, 20:59

Whoops. :oops: Sorry Paul.
Calypso Red S2 #417

USB ElanScan interfaces - £60 incl. UK P&P & £65 incl. ROW P&P
User avatar
GeoffSmith
Kitty Fiddler
 
Posts: 15628
Joined: Fri 03.02.2006, 21:57
Location: S2#417 in Tytherington, Gloucestershire

Postby Dovey » Mon 08.05.2006, 12:00

Hmmm. Think I'll change to a circumcised. Pure vanity :oops:

So, when are we getting these exhausts? I'd like mine sooner, as summer is here now.
Never buy anything that was built on a Friday
User avatar
Dovey
Enthusiast
 
Posts: 190
Joined: Mon 11.07.2005, 12:26
Location: Lincoln

Postby GeoffSmith » Mon 08.05.2006, 21:32

Dovey wrote:Hmmm. Think I'll change to a circumcised. Pure vanity :oops:

Or religion?


Sorry about the delay Dovey, I've updated he list, but I've been having a few problems - SADIM syndrome (reverse Midas touch where everything turns from gold to s**t). In addition to the MEMCAL problems above, the A/C has packed up in my wife's car, the steering rack end bush has worn badly on my son's car and I've had a problem with my broadband connection which I've only just fixed! :evil:

I have been chasing other possibilities and I am waiting for a reply from David - If I haven't heard anything soon, I will try to telephone him to get things moving again.


geoffsmith wrote:P.S. It would help me if you could PM me your e-mail address as it's a bit time consuming filling in ~15 PMs with the same message.
:poke:

Thanks to ab2cv and Algirdas for sending theirs. :smt023 I will obviously treat them with utmost respect and confidentiality

Geoff
Calypso Red S2 #417

USB ElanScan interfaces - £60 incl. UK P&P & £65 incl. ROW P&P
User avatar
GeoffSmith
Kitty Fiddler
 
Posts: 15628
Joined: Fri 03.02.2006, 21:57
Location: S2#417 in Tytherington, Gloucestershire

Postby chrisP » Tue 09.05.2006, 15:16

Geoff
Can you add me to the list please I'm interested in a new exhaust a standard one without fitting.

Cheers
Chris
User avatar
chrisP
Fanatic
 
Posts: 639
Joined: Fri 13.06.2003, 12:28
Location: Hertfordshire

Postby GeoffSmith » Tue 09.05.2006, 17:25

Chris,

Done. Where abouts are you?

Geoff
Calypso Red S2 #417

USB ElanScan interfaces - £60 incl. UK P&P & £65 incl. ROW P&P
User avatar
GeoffSmith
Kitty Fiddler
 
Posts: 15628
Joined: Fri 03.02.2006, 21:57
Location: S2#417 in Tytherington, Gloucestershire

Postby Dovey » Tue 09.05.2006, 20:36

No worries Geoff. I'm not desperate, just impatient :wink:

Yep, sods law is alive and well Geoff. And just to prove it the exhaust on my escort has just crumbled. Oh the irony! I almost laughed. Almost.
Never buy anything that was built on a Friday
User avatar
Dovey
Enthusiast
 
Posts: 190
Joined: Mon 11.07.2005, 12:26
Location: Lincoln

PreviousNext

Return to Exhaust

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests