New Large Bore Exhaust by PECO for S1 Elans with no flat bit

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, Specky, clemo, Nige, Sy V, Dave Eds, DaveT, Elanlover, muley, Enright, algirdas, nitroman, GeoffSmith

Postby ab2cv » Fri 26.05.2006, 11:21

chrisP wrote:Hello all
So how many people do we actually have who have either paid deposits or purchased the exhaust straight off?
I'll be on the phone to Dave a bit later today

Chris


Chris, I think that Peco are only open until lunchtime today.

A revised list of people would look something like this?

YES
1, geoffsmith, Bristol, No, Standard, No, Yes [Paid £300 23/5 £50 refund offered]
2, Rathead, Leeds, Yes, Standard, No, Yes [Paid £300 24/5 £50 refund offered]

Intent registered with Peco
3, ajax317, Bromley, No, Standard, No, Yes
4, jay_thomas, Leeds, Yes, Circumcised, No, Yes {2-3 weeks}
5, ab2cv, Edinburgh, No, Standard, No, Yes
6, Stevieshag, Stonehenge, No, Circumcised, No, Yes {6-8 weeks}
User avatar
ab2cv
Fanatic
 
Posts: 619
Joined: Wed 30.06.2004, 18:30
Location: Edinburgh

Peco Exhaust

Postby Lancelot » Fri 26.05.2006, 11:30

I'm waiting for a reply from Stevo regarding a coated S2 stiffy,before I can place an order.I want to fix the Stiffy & new Peco system at the same time.
Can any of the Scottish members contact him and find out what's happening regarding getting the Stiffy's coated.
Regards,
Woody
Lancelot
Newbie
 
Posts: 15
Joined: Thu 13.04.2006, 13:35
Location: Nottingham

Re: Peco Exhaust

Postby ab2cv » Fri 26.05.2006, 11:45

Lancelot wrote:I'm waiting for a reply from Stevo regarding a coated S2 stiffy,before I can place an order.I want to fix the Stiffy & new Peco system at the same time.
Can any of the Scottish members contact him and find out what's happening regarding getting the Stiffy's coated.
Regards,
Woody

If you put a stiffy on an S2 with a PECO system then surely this means you'll be removing both CATS. Are you sure if you'll pass an emissions test like this?

Alan
User avatar
ab2cv
Fanatic
 
Posts: 619
Joined: Wed 30.06.2004, 18:30
Location: Edinburgh

Peco Exhaust

Postby Lancelot » Fri 26.05.2006, 11:58

Hi,
I was hoping to find a flanged high flow cat to drop into the system for Mot's, and remove after.
Cheers,
Woody
Lancelot
Newbie
 
Posts: 15
Joined: Thu 13.04.2006, 13:35
Location: Nottingham

Re: Peco Exhaust

Postby Monty » Fri 26.05.2006, 12:52

Lancelot wrote:I'm waiting for a reply from Stevo regarding a coated S2 stiffy,before I can place an order.I want to fix the Stiffy & new Peco system at the same time.
Can any of the Scottish members contact him and find out what's happening regarding getting the Stiffy's coated.
Regards,
Woody


You can still purchase the Peco exhaust as this will fit the stiffy and the stock precat.
User avatar
Monty
Chunder King!
 
Posts: 7977
Joined: Sun 11.01.2004, 22:32
Location: Leeds

Postby GeoffSmith » Fri 26.05.2006, 13:03

Just received mine. Looks very good. I've Hammerite'd the inner pipe and it looks even better. Off to have it fitted after lunch - I'll post some pictures later.

Geoff

PS the box it comes in is 35cm x 35cm x 110cm (1'2" x 1'2" x 3'7") and won't fit straight into the Elan boot!
Calypso Red S2 #417

USB ElanScan interfaces - £60 incl. UK P&P & £65 incl. ROW P&P
User avatar
GeoffSmith
Kitty Fiddler
 
Posts: 15628
Joined: Fri 03.02.2006, 21:57
Location: S2#417 in Tytherington, Gloucestershire

Postby GeoffSmith » Fri 26.05.2006, 13:37

Whoops. Didn't see all those posts!

Haven't got time to read them all but Ailwyn has already asked Dave to develop a system with a cat, so that may be the best option if you've got an S2 and are going for a stiffy. Be warned, it is likely to be quite expensive as free flow cats are not cheap. I would imagine that, with a good free flow stanless cat, you may not want to bother removing it after the MOT. Any thoughts Ailwyn?

Personnally, I have a bit of a concern about the lack of separation of the stiffy wastegate porting from the main exhaust flow - ESM has posted some thought provoking information on the stiffy thread. Call us heretics and burn us at the stake if you want, but I think I might eventually go a different route for the downpipe and incorporate a cat there.

I'll post some pictures later and try and sort out whose bought / deposited what. If you haven't posted what you've done, could you please do so?

In case of problems, Dave has kindly provided his mobile number. If anyone has problems with fitting outside of Peco opening hours, then let me know.

Geoff
Calypso Red S2 #417

USB ElanScan interfaces - £60 incl. UK P&P & £65 incl. ROW P&P
User avatar
GeoffSmith
Kitty Fiddler
 
Posts: 15628
Joined: Fri 03.02.2006, 21:57
Location: S2#417 in Tytherington, Gloucestershire

Postby ailwyn » Fri 26.05.2006, 15:26

S2/Fed System

Peco don't currently have an exhaust system that incorporates a CAT as they rely on people having the pre-cat with the Peco exhaust.

Algirdas and I were both interested in dumping the pre-cat for a stiffy but this would have caused emissions tests to fail.

In response I have asked Dave @ peco to quote for a system including a sport-cat. My guess is all in at around £500 (exhaust £250 + sport cat £200 + extra work £50), although we'll have to wait for the official quote. His research is ongoing!

I am quite happy to move this forward (with Geoff's help), but if there are any other S2/Fed owners interested in a sport cat equipped exhaust then register your interest here as the more people that want it, the higher up Peco's priorities it will climb.

On the stiffy itself - I can't say I'm that perturbed by the wastegate issue as it has to be an improvement on the stock pre-cat & housing.

Ailwyn
ailwyn
Forum Member
 
Posts: 3361
Joined: Tue 09.08.2005, 20:45

Large Bore Peco Exhaust

Postby algirdas » Fri 26.05.2006, 15:44

Dear All:

So as not to hold things up for everybody else, I'll probaby just go with the system as is. And whatever Peco figures out on the sport cat, I'll just look at adding it later. Plus, since I live 5,000 feet above sea level, I may be half tempted to try running the car without any cats and see if it passes the emissions tests.

Plus, I still need to wait for a Stiffy that clears the power steering pump and the A/C compressor. Needless to say, this is a long-term proposition for me.

Geoff and Ailwyn-thank you for efforts on this. I will call David Monday morning and give him my deposit.

Sincerely,

Algirdas
Noli illegitemi carborundum.
User avatar
algirdas
Moderator
 
Posts: 1093
Joined: Mon 19.01.2004, 03:20
Location: Fort Collins, Colorado

Postby stevieg8571 » Fri 26.05.2006, 15:52

Hi all,
I'm definately going to get one of these systems, just wasn't aware they closed at 12.30 today and didn't open at weekends.
I emailed Dave before I found this out so will call on Monday morning to leave a deposit and arrange fitting at their premises (I live around an hour away).

Thanks again,

Steve.
User avatar
stevieg8571
Fanatic
 
Posts: 275
Joined: Wed 10.08.2005, 16:02
Location: Preston

Postby GeoffSmith » Fri 26.05.2006, 20:20

I'm pleased to say that it was easily completed in under one hour (£20) at local exhaust/tyre place. The manager and I did it on a ramp with no great difficulties (unfortunately I left my camera in the car and it was a bit high / my hands were dirty / I felt a complete idiot so no pictures of the actual fitting!). It went together very easily and alignment was pretty much spot on - he was pretty impressed as even today, plenty of systems don't fit well.

A few tips if Peco aren't fitting it for you:
1) Plenty of penetrating oil in advance and, if possible, plenty of heat on the flange bolts but careful of the flame.
2) It is more difficult to get the old box out than to get the new one in. Car needs to be jacked up slightly (use jacking point on offside) and it comes out the back after turning though 90° (anticlockwise looking from the back I'm pretty sure).
3) If you're being really brave and crawling under the car yourself, make sure all sections fit together before getting under the car - I'd managed to knock the end of one of mine and it needed to be opened out slightly.
4) Fitting sequence: Fit the front section to the flange but don't tighten nuts. Hang the rear box band. Fit the rear section in the box hanger and loosely tighten. Add the other two sections to the rear section (but no hangers). There should be sufficient give to join the front to the rear sections. Fit the remaining hangers but make sure the second hanger from the front is fitted last. Tighten the flange nuts then make sure the hangers are all in place and the rear box and tail pipe are aligned correctly before fitting the clamps
(EDIT: make sure the middle clamp doesn't hang straight down - angle it at 90° otherwise the ends of the u-bolt hang too low) and tightening the rear box band (on mine, the tail pipe is slightly to the left when viewed from the rear otherwise the box fouls).
5) Use exhaust paste and make sure all joints are gas tight after clamping.


If you want to disguise the inner pipe, hammerite works well. I only had gloss and forgot to tone it down to matt† until after it had gone off, so it's a bit shiny now but will probably tone down once it gets a few carbon deposits.
[†Tip : rub your fingers on the garage floor and carefully press down on it after ~10 minutes]

Initial impressions:

Very impressed. As expected, the bends show no sign of being corrugated, the welds are really clean, the joints are formed to a high degree of precision so joints are tight and it hangs well. Generally the whole system is well engineered. Everything apart from exhaust paste is included (hangers, clamps and gasket).

The exhaust is quite fruity but not excessively so (hood down of course) but do bear in mind I'm 50 and my hearing is probably not as good as it used to be ... pardon ... so don't moan at me if it's too loud for your liking! I don't think I'll be driving up and down a tunnel like jonbenk just to hear it though.

It certainly sems to have made a difference to performance. My wastegate valve is still sticking slightly so I've been controlling overboost with the throttle quite successfully until now. I hit fuel cutoff a couple of time on the way home as the boost appears to come on a bit quicker. I'll try and hook up Elanscan over the weekend to see what's what.


I'll try and update the list of where we are and who's bought what later on tonight but I'm off out now to try and free the wastegate.

Geoff
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by GeoffSmith on Tue 30.05.2006, 21:57, edited 2 times in total.
Calypso Red S2 #417

USB ElanScan interfaces - £60 incl. UK P&P & £65 incl. ROW P&P
User avatar
GeoffSmith
Kitty Fiddler
 
Posts: 15628
Joined: Fri 03.02.2006, 21:57
Location: S2#417 in Tytherington, Gloucestershire

Postby Monty » Fri 26.05.2006, 21:29

Looking good geoff, I`ll ring Dave on Tuesday to place my deposit. I`ve got the precat and turbo off so hope to have the stiffy fitted this weekend, So i`ll be all set for a peco.
Last edited by Monty on Sat 27.05.2006, 22:52, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Monty
Chunder King!
 
Posts: 7977
Joined: Sun 11.01.2004, 22:32
Location: Leeds

Postby GeoffSmith » Fri 26.05.2006, 23:33

Monty wrote:I'll ring Dave on monday

Might have a long wait for someone to answer, like 24 hours!

Just back in from un-sticking the wastegate in time for Castle Combe and broadband won't play ball so I'm hooked up with dial up {dropped out again!} and won't be doing too much tonight.

Catch you all tomorrow.
Calypso Red S2 #417

USB ElanScan interfaces - £60 incl. UK P&P & £65 incl. ROW P&P
User avatar
GeoffSmith
Kitty Fiddler
 
Posts: 15628
Joined: Fri 03.02.2006, 21:57
Location: S2#417 in Tytherington, Gloucestershire

Postby John_W » Sat 27.05.2006, 18:09

Geoff,
good to hear of a high-quality system which fits first time. With both you and Johnbenk being impressed, it sounds like Peco deserve a good few more orders.

Other people (myself included) have managed to get a local firm to make up systems (eg Stevo & the Glasgow/Edinburgh lot), but sometimes these go slightly awry :roll: eg Dico's experience. Even mine had to go back for a replacement silencer. It's good to know this "off the shelf" system works, as it's no longer a special fabrication job.

Now go out and test it and lets hope you and johnbenk don't find any issues down the line as has been reported with some recent systems.

John

PS: if you do find the noise is a bit wearing after a while, it is possible to fit a second silencer in the wheelarch, on the pipe which goes from the centre of the car to the main silencer. I have this, and Andrew Ennis had one installed after getting fed up with the droning on long journeys.
User avatar
John_W
Heid-bummer
 
Posts: 3780
Joined: Mon 21.04.2003, 12:31
Location: Aberdeen

Postby GeoffSmith » Sat 27.05.2006, 20:50

John,

I took it down to Castle Combe today (20 miles) and did three parade laps (hood down despite the rain until we came home). I'm fairly conservative, but I think the tone is perfectly acceptable. I haven't opened it up fully, however, as I'm still nursing an overboost problem (despite unsicking wastegates until midnight last night). I may stick the Superchips PROM back in to inhibit the fuel cutout and give it some welly tomorrow.

I'll keep you posted.

Geoff
Calypso Red S2 #417

USB ElanScan interfaces - £60 incl. UK P&P & £65 incl. ROW P&P
User avatar
GeoffSmith
Kitty Fiddler
 
Posts: 15628
Joined: Fri 03.02.2006, 21:57
Location: S2#417 in Tytherington, Gloucestershire

Postby JIMBO » Sat 27.05.2006, 21:23

Hi all,
On Friday morning I left home at 6.00am to drive the 200 miles to Peco.
It was one hell of a shitty morning and driving through the spray made me wonder why I was doing this.
I shouldn't have worried. Arriving an hour late I found David to be very hospitable and not at all put out. He fitted my exhaust system in about an hour. The finished job was great, with everything lining up and sitting flat.
I paid £300 with the promise of a rebate if enough systems are ordered.
As an Elan owner, David is trying to help us all on the price. Geoff is also trying hard to make this work for everyone's benefit. Where are the orders to make their efforts worthwhile ? You either need or want an exhaust or you dont!!
The sound quality has changed for the better and I'm sure it will quieten down as it becomes coated with soot. The pick up seems to have improved and the car feels quicker. I now have quite a bit of popping and banging on over-run (a bit too boy racerish for me), perhaps this will also settle down with use.
Leaving Birkenhead, It stopped raining and I joined the M6 queue to go to Birmingham to sort out my Wheels. Thats another story.
Regards
Jim
JIMBO
Fanatic
 
Posts: 320
Joined: Tue 25.11.2003, 23:24

Postby markrnorton » Sun 28.05.2006, 22:11

Had mine on a couple of weeks now, after fitting it myself. it's definately better, pickup has improved, not too noisey and popping on over-run.

I must be one of the only people who like the pipe in pipe effect at the rear.

well worth it
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Quality counts
User avatar
markrnorton
Newbie
 
Posts: 12
Joined: Sun 23.04.2006, 19:42
Location: ESSEX

Postby GeoffSmith » Sun 28.05.2006, 22:30

Mark,

Have you got an end on photo to compare with mine? As I said, mine appears to have to hang very slightly to the left to avoid the box fouling the bumper.

Thanks for keeping us informed.

Geoff
Calypso Red S2 #417

USB ElanScan interfaces - £60 incl. UK P&P & £65 incl. ROW P&P
User avatar
GeoffSmith
Kitty Fiddler
 
Posts: 15628
Joined: Fri 03.02.2006, 21:57
Location: S2#417 in Tytherington, Gloucestershire

Postby GeoffSmith » Sun 28.05.2006, 22:43

Mark,

Have you got an end on photo to compare with mine? As I said, mine appears to have to hang very slightly to the left to avoid the box fouling the bumper.

Thanks for keeping us informed.

Geoff
Calypso Red S2 #417

USB ElanScan interfaces - £60 incl. UK P&P & £65 incl. ROW P&P
User avatar
GeoffSmith
Kitty Fiddler
 
Posts: 15628
Joined: Fri 03.02.2006, 21:57
Location: S2#417 in Tytherington, Gloucestershire

PreviousNext

Return to Exhaust

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 12 guests

cron