New Large Bore Exhaust by PECO for S1 Elans with no flat bit

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, Specky, clemo, Nige, Sy V, Dave Eds, DaveT, Elanlover, muley, Enright, algirdas, nitroman, GeoffSmith

Postby GeoffSmith » Thu 01.06.2006, 19:22

Sorry Jon, just making sure you were all paying attention! :oops:

If you right mouse on 'my' avatar, you can "Save picture as..." and then upload as your avatar. Don't take it personally, but I thought yours was a bit static, looked too much like a Ferrari and had the wrong person driving!

Geoff
Last edited by GeoffSmith on Thu 01.06.2006, 20:10, edited 1 time in total.
Calypso Red S2 #417

USB ElanScan interfaces - £60 incl. UK P&P & £65 incl. ROW P&P
User avatar
GeoffSmith
Kitty Fiddler
 
Posts: 15628
Joined: Fri 03.02.2006, 21:57
Location: S2#417 in Tytherington, Gloucestershire

Postby GeoffSmith » Thu 01.06.2006, 20:08

Talking of avatars, nice one Rob (ajax317). Are they both yours?
Calypso Red S2 #417

USB ElanScan interfaces - £60 incl. UK P&P & £65 incl. ROW P&P
User avatar
GeoffSmith
Kitty Fiddler
 
Posts: 15628
Joined: Fri 03.02.2006, 21:57
Location: S2#417 in Tytherington, Gloucestershire

Postby ajax317 » Thu 01.06.2006, 22:59

Geoff, the M100 is, but the Esprit was my dad's. Grabbed a last chance snap just before the lucky new owner whisked it away yesterday :(
User avatar
ajax317
Newbie
 
Posts: 30
Joined: Sat 28.02.2004, 21:42
Location: Bromley, Kent

Postby Rambo » Fri 02.06.2006, 00:14

Had my new PECO exhaust fitted today. The removal of the old exhaust at the pre-cat housing end was "a pig of a job" according to Dave and took much longer than expected due to terminal rust (14mm nuts rusted away to ~11mm etc, etc........)

The exhaust looks and sounds brilliant. Thoroughly recommended. Deliberately dropped a couple of gears in the Wallasley tunnel just to get the full effect of the reverberation off the walls. Fantastic noise.

Thanks again Dave and to your mechanic for your efforts today.

Also to Geoff for doing the organisation and the co-ordination without which this great deal would not have happened

Mark
User avatar
Rambo
Don't push me
 
Posts: 9144
Joined: Wed 24.12.2003, 00:37
Location: Both sides of the Tweed

Postby GeoffSmith » Fri 02.06.2006, 00:44

I'm just glad everyone who's had it fitted so far is happy with it - it's good to get positive feedback!

Thanks for the collective support by the way. I'm just glad we manged to get the commitment to make it all happen and hopefuly everyone has benefitted and will be pleased with the final result. It does mean that there is a proven, good quality, well engineered, off-the-shelf system for people who need a replacement system in the future (but maybe not at the same price that we paid :-D ). Hopefully we won't experience the same sort of problems that Dans and Avonvilla have had with other systems.

Geoff
Calypso Red S2 #417

USB ElanScan interfaces - £60 incl. UK P&P & £65 incl. ROW P&P
User avatar
GeoffSmith
Kitty Fiddler
 
Posts: 15628
Joined: Fri 03.02.2006, 21:57
Location: S2#417 in Tytherington, Gloucestershire

Postby Dovey » Fri 02.06.2006, 19:49

Avatar is now Lotus Esprit Turbo Challenge. If you look closely though it's an Elan :-D

While I was looking I saw this...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Never buy anything that was built on a Friday
User avatar
Dovey
Enthusiast
 
Posts: 190
Joined: Mon 11.07.2005, 12:26
Location: Lincoln

Postby Specky » Fri 02.06.2006, 21:28

Dovey wrote:Avatar is now Lotus Esprit Turbo Challenge. If you look closely though it's an Élan :-D

While I was looking I saw this...


Ah... the old Amiga Lotus trilogy series. That was my introduction to the Élan. :roll:
If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find them, maybe you can hire... The N/A-Team.
User avatar
Specky
Moderator
 
Posts: 5982
Joined: Sun 07.09.2003, 23:19
Location: Swindon

Postby Rambo » Mon 05.06.2006, 21:31

Sunday saw me and BigErch sat in a traffic jam for 30 mins. in a small Border town waiting to get into a rally. The racket from the exhaust reverberating off the walls was magic. Sounded more like a burbly V8 TVR than my old farty sound. Lots of banging, cracking, spitting and popping on overrun and quite a few impressed locals and LEC members. Very low to the ground so had to watch where I was going driving across the rutted field of the venue

Mark (now partially deaf !!)
User avatar
Rambo
Don't push me
 
Posts: 9144
Joined: Wed 24.12.2003, 00:37
Location: Both sides of the Tweed

Postby Enright » Mon 05.06.2006, 23:18

Mark, how would you say it compares to my system? I know you had your eye on it at Donington and a few liked the noise, although Avonvilla obviously hated it - hence his reason for selling it to me!

I wonder if it's possible to emulate those old Amiga games? The Lotus Elan Turbo Challenge was a classic and would be great to have a copy of it on my PC.
Striking fear into the hearts of duplicate posts everywhere...! :P

BCingU,
Neil ;-)
User avatar
Enright
Modificator
 
Posts: 4860
Joined: Sun 19.12.2004, 19:21
Location: Arnold, Nottingham, England

Postby Rambo » Tue 06.06.2006, 00:22

Enright13 wrote:Mark, how would you say it compares to my system? I know you had your eye on it at Donington and a few liked the noise, although Avonvilla obviously hated it - hence his reason for selling it to me!


I think you'll be quite impressed Neil. Invite me to your next curry night and you'll find out !!

Without the use of a noise level meter it would be hard to judge but perhaps we can swap keys and make a judgement that way ? Either way, it looks good and sounds good.

Mark
User avatar
Rambo
Don't push me
 
Posts: 9144
Joined: Wed 24.12.2003, 00:37
Location: Both sides of the Tweed

Postby Rambo » Tue 06.06.2006, 00:23

Enright13 wrote:Mark, how would you say it compares to my system? I know you had your eye on it at Donington and a few liked the noise, although Avonvilla obviously hated it - hence his reason for selling it to me!


I think you'll be quite impressed Neil. Invite me to your next curry night and you'll find out !!

Without the use of a noise level meter it would be hard to judge but perhaps we can swap keys and make a judgement that way ? Either way, it looks good and sounds good.

Mark
User avatar
Rambo
Don't push me
 
Posts: 9144
Joined: Wed 24.12.2003, 00:37
Location: Both sides of the Tweed

Postby Rambo » Tue 06.06.2006, 00:23

Enright13 wrote:Mark, how would you say it compares to my system? I know you had your eye on it at Donington and a few liked the noise, although Avonvilla obviously hated it - hence his reason for selling it to me!


I think you'll be quite impressed Neil. Invite me to your next curry night and you'll find out !!

Without the use of a noise level meter it would be hard to judge but perhaps we can swap keys and make a judgement that way ? Either way, it looks good and sounds good.

Mark
User avatar
Rambo
Don't push me
 
Posts: 9144
Joined: Wed 24.12.2003, 00:37
Location: Both sides of the Tweed

Postby Rambo » Tue 06.06.2006, 00:25

Didn'tmean to post 3 times - system malfunction or I have Tourette's syndrome in my index finger !
User avatar
Rambo
Don't push me
 
Posts: 9144
Joined: Wed 24.12.2003, 00:37
Location: Both sides of the Tweed

Postby GeoffSmith » Tue 06.06.2006, 18:56

Or too much whisky tasting until the wee small hours maybe?

Glad you like it though.

Geoff
Calypso Red S2 #417

USB ElanScan interfaces - £60 incl. UK P&P & £65 incl. ROW P&P
User avatar
GeoffSmith
Kitty Fiddler
 
Posts: 15628
Joined: Fri 03.02.2006, 21:57
Location: S2#417 in Tytherington, Gloucestershire

Postby ajax317 » Tue 06.06.2006, 19:25

Bit off topic, but via a google search I found a download for the Amiga emulator I use here: http://www.emulator-zone.com/doc.php/amiga/winuae.html. Bit awkward to setup but there are some good tutorials to be found.

I have to confess to being a bit impressionable and having been brought up with Lotus Esprit Turbo Challenge (the first one) and Lotus Turbo Challenge 2 (the second with Elans) that probably explains a lot. Now I finally have an Elan, I'm disappointed as it won't jump over logs :D

Back on topic, I can't wait for my system especially after so much good feedback. Has anyone got a sound clip they could post? That way I can put it on in the car and pretend :-D
User avatar
ajax317
Newbie
 
Posts: 30
Joined: Sat 28.02.2004, 21:42
Location: Bromley, Kent

Postby GeoffSmith » Tue 06.06.2006, 19:30

Johnbenk was offering a DVD of his exhaust - give him a try.

Geoff
Calypso Red S2 #417

USB ElanScan interfaces - £60 incl. UK P&P & £65 incl. ROW P&P
User avatar
GeoffSmith
Kitty Fiddler
 
Posts: 15628
Joined: Fri 03.02.2006, 21:57
Location: S2#417 in Tytherington, Gloucestershire

Postby John_W » Tue 06.06.2006, 21:24

ajax317 wrote:Now I finally have an Elan, I'm disappointed as it won't jump over logs :D

Andrew Ennis and Andy_J have demonstrated that they can jump over dry stane dykes, though. (But only once.)
John :roll:
User avatar
John_W
Heid-bummer
 
Posts: 3780
Joined: Mon 21.04.2003, 12:31
Location: Aberdeen

Postby GeoffSmith » Tue 06.06.2006, 21:48

John_W wrote:…dry stane dykes…


Howay man John, translation for the Sasanachs - dykes means something different in these parts and as for jumping them, dream on!
Calypso Red S2 #417

USB ElanScan interfaces - £60 incl. UK P&P & £65 incl. ROW P&P
User avatar
GeoffSmith
Kitty Fiddler
 
Posts: 15628
Joined: Fri 03.02.2006, 21:57
Location: S2#417 in Tytherington, Gloucestershire

Postby RatHead » Wed 07.06.2006, 22:01

Got my exhaust fitted now - its certainly loud enough.
Boost also goes higher than it did before. Prior to getting the new exhaust my boost never went above 0.5. Now it goes to 0.5 and if I keep my foot pressed down it carries on up to 0.8 now. The exhaust is the only non standard bit on my car.
RatHead
Enthusiast
 
Posts: 125
Joined: Mon 12.09.2005, 20:29

Postby GeoffSmith » Wed 07.06.2006, 22:44

Peter,

If it is too loud for you, John offered this advice earlier in the thread.

John_W wrote:if you do find the noise is a bit wearing after a while, it is possible to fit a second silencer in the wheelarch, on the pipe which goes from the centre of the car to the main silencer. I have this, and Andrew Ennis had one installed after getting fed up with the droning on long journeys.


Mine seems to have quietened down a bit (I'm sure it's not my imagination) - possibly the build up of soot helping to take out some of the resonances but it is still quite loud.

I've also had a couple of fuel cutoffs in the last couple of days which I think were boost creep. It's hard for me to make a comparison with normal running as I only managed to unstick the wastegate, remove the MBC and Superchip just before getting the exhaust on. Comparatively, my power appears to be down, but I guess the boost was running at 0.6-0.7 bar before whereas I'm getting 0.5 bar now. (Cue big brakes and an ESM chip!).

Like you, I think that the only non standard piece of kit is the exhaust now. Having read up a bit about boost creep, it seems to be brought on by the reduced resistance of the exhaust and is due to the limited size of the wastegate valve not being capable of bypassing enough gas past the turbo. The best solution seems to be to open up the diameter of the wastegate valve, but that involves getting the turbo off and seeing as I couldn't get the turbo heatshield side bolt out I haven't even considered it yet! I wonder if anyone else has had similar experiences?
Calypso Red S2 #417

USB ElanScan interfaces - £60 incl. UK P&P & £65 incl. ROW P&P
User avatar
GeoffSmith
Kitty Fiddler
 
Posts: 15628
Joined: Fri 03.02.2006, 21:57
Location: S2#417 in Tytherington, Gloucestershire

PreviousNext

Return to Exhaust

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 12 guests