Cadwell Park

An area set aside for the planning of track days, discussions on circuits and to share your good and bad experiences of life in the fast lane.

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, Elanlover, muley, Enright, algirdas, clemo, nitroman, Specky, GeoffSmith, Nige, Dave Eds, Sy V, DaveT

Cadwell Park

Postby Monty » Sun 07.01.2007, 12:12

History of Cadwell Park
Set in the rolling Lincolnshire countryside, Cadwell Park was established in 1934. The length of the track, nicknamed the 'mini Nurburgring', almost doubled to 1.3 miles in 1953, when the ascendant 500cc motorcycle-engined Formula 3 class was invited to race in a traditional bike meeting. Reg Spreckley thus became the track's first car race winner in his Cooper. Some 30,000 spectators were said to have watched the meeting.

The original track, with its fearsome and photogenic Mountain feature, grew to its current 2.25-mile layout in 1962 and hosted the British F3 series the following May. It has three configurations – the rarely used Woodlands circuit, the short Club circuit, and the splendid, daunting Full circuit.

These days, its car racing exploits are confined to club meetings but they are invariably crackers, the track's swooping nature providing fantastic racing.

Circuit Statistics
Full Circuit
Length: 2.173 miles (3.4768 km)
Direction: Clockwise
Corners: 11
Club Circuit
Length: 1.481 miles (2.3696 km)
Corners: 7
Woodlands Circuit
Length: 0.712 miles (1.1392 km)
Corners: 5

www.motorsportvision.co.uk/cadwell-park/circuits/cadwell-park.asp

Cadwell Park Circuit
Louth,
Lincolnshire LN11 9SE
Tel: 01507 343248
Fax: 01507 343519
Attachments
cadwell-circuit-large.pdf
Cadwell Circuit Map (PDF file)
(598.07 KiB) Downloaded 212 times
Monty
Chunder King!

Postby Monty » Sun 07.01.2007, 12:23

As anyone done Cadwell before? as i`m thinking of doing this in Feb with LOT.

Just wondering is it ok for a Novice?
Monty
Chunder King!

Postby Enright » Sun 07.01.2007, 13:20

Monty, it depends on whether the long or short circuit is being used.

Cadwell was the first track I ever did, but I've only done it on a bike and I've only done the short circuit. They used to have a Ducati race shool there, and then I did my first track day ever on my 400 there.

The track is fairly narrow but the run-off areas for the short circuit are very wide (which was quite lucky in my case, but the less said about that the better!).

However if they open up the full circuit then you get to do the infamous "Mountain" and WILL get air at the top of it unless you back off - JimP would love it! Shane Shakey Byrne flipped his superbike there last year. Many do - even 400s. It's a spectacular bit of track to watch.
Also after that there is no run-off area at all. Just solid armco until you get back onto the start/finish straight. Coupled with the fact that it's got a lot of tree cover and so takes a long while to dry out, it turns the track from a good novice one into a very technical one.

But it's fantastic. I'd love to do the full circuit. One day...
Last edited by Enright on Sun 07.01.2007, 13:22, edited 1 time in total.
Striking fear into the hearts of duplicate posts everywhere...! :P

BCingU,
Neil ;-)
Enright
Modificator

Postby ajax317 » Sun 07.01.2007, 13:20

Cadwell's a wonderful circuit but there are very few runoffs, it's technical and a lot of the braking has to be done on the turn - plus the mountain section, if they're using it, is basically single-file, even in races.

It really depends on how busy the day is too and what you want to get from it, but I'd recommend some instruction and more experience before attempting it.
ajax317

Postby Monty » Thu 22.02.2007, 16:14

Well i`ve just booked Cadwell for 3rd March openpit :shock: can`t argue for £99 :-D
Monty
Chunder King!

Postby Monty » Sun 04.03.2007, 15:25

Had a great day at Cadwell yesterday, there was only 20 cars booked in so plenty of track time :-D

What a circuit, boy is it narrow :shock: . To make things worst it was wet and drizzling. When i got out on my 1st lap i thought what the hell am i doing, very technical, plenty of barriers and tyre walls at the club house end. But after a good few laps started to build up speed. In the afternoon the sun came out so had the roof down and the track dried out.
On one lap i was chassing Pesky in a Exige custom orange paint job, got to carried away and lost it just before Mountain and the pit exit, luckly it was at low speed and just missed the tyre wall :shock: I did have the action cam running but i deleted it by mistake to make some room for more footage :cry: (need to get more memory cards :twisted: ) My fastest lap on vid was 2mins 8secs but i may of been going a bit quiker in the afternoon but ran out of memory on the action cam :roll:

Anyways here`s a couple of vids. BTW the sounds is still sh*te :evil:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=qk5A7MW9bm0

Dico did some footage from trackside with my digital camera
www.youtube.com/watch?v=tlp8RMJthHk
Monty
Chunder King!

Return to Circuits & Track Days