Steering Wheel Help Required

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, Nige, Elanlover, Sy V, muley, Enright, algirdas, nitroman, GeoffSmith, clemo, Dave Eds, Specky, DaveT

Steering Wheel Help Required

Postby basher » Thu 01.07.2021, 08:50

Hopefully someone can help with this issue.
I have bought a replacement steering wheel for the Elan. Noting what has been posted on here regarding Elise steering wheels fitting I purchased a Mountney M32X3VV6S - M78X/2649 in Red and Black.
It looks good and I'm really pleased with it, however I have problems.
Apparently the new wheel, will bolt directly onto the existing boss, but unfortunately this new wheel has no moulding around the back of the so you would just have this nice replacement sitting on top of the ugly boss and then the steering wheel cowling. Its no gift to the eye.
Can I buy a new Elan boss? I did get one with the wheel but its a M78X fitting an Elise, so I can't use it.
I have searched online, but I'm a little concerned that I might get the old Elan fit rather than the new Elan as there seems to be little in the way of differentiation.

Aside from this, the horn push has got a mount for two wires on the back and the Elan only has one- can I get around this.

Have I been seduced by the look of a lovely new wheel and bought something that is useless?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Mike
basher
Enthusiast

Re: Steering Wheel Help Required

Postby Rocklobster » Thu 01.07.2021, 19:09

So it looks like you've changed to an arrangement similar to the top left hand view. I presume you've got the mounting boss (item 15) and the cage (item 18). Item 19 is part of the original fitting.
The additional wire is for the ground. I just attached a short wire from the cage to the second tab on the horn button.
You're then missing the shroud (item 17). I trawled ebay and found one for about a tenner. tidied it all up nicely.

Picture1.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pete

Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm.
Rocklobster
Tinkerer

Postby Rocklobster » Thu 01.07.2021, 20:13

Here's a boot on ebay.https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/153177330564?epid=10023670565&hash=item23aa149384:g:TJMAAOSwvWtbmPNC

It's 67mm long and I think you'll need 59 or 60, so it'll need cutting down a bit, as I had to on mine. These are a tight fit on the Nardi boss, but they do fit over as per the pic.

Steering wheel.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pete

Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm.
Rocklobster
Tinkerer

Postby basher » Thu 01.07.2021, 21:03

Thanks for that.
Horn button sounds to be an easy fit- just sounds like I need a cowling as you say.
Only saw three on e-bay what did you call them?
basher
Enthusiast

Postby Rocklobster » Thu 01.07.2021, 22:22

I searched for a Nardi boss cover. There aren't many on at the moment by the looks of it.
Pete

Rocklobster
Tinkerer

Postby basher » Fri 02.07.2021, 08:08

Thanks again Pete,
I think that looks pretty smart on your car, I will get one sorted.

Mike
basher
Enthusiast

Postby robertverhey » Sat 03.07.2021, 02:10

The boot needs to have in I/D of 100mm to fit over the bare “prongs”.that was my experience anyway
robertverhey
Tinkerer

Return to Chassis & Steering