Latest insights in outdoor car cover?

Items not fitting within the above categories

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, Nige, Elanlover, Sy V, muley, Enright, algirdas, nitroman, GeoffSmith, clemo, Dave Eds, Specky, DaveT

Latest insights in outdoor car cover?

Postby HJ2 » Sun 03.01.2021, 13:44

Hi all,

What are the latest insights in outdoor, wheather proof car covers?
I am in the market for a multi layered premium one, but there are so many sellers out there it is hard to zoom in.

Anyone with good insights / first hand experiences?
Last edited by HJ2 on Sun 03.01.2021, 14:16, edited 1 time in total.
If you always do what you always did, you always get what you always got
HJ2
Wodan - God of the Low Lands

Re: Letest insights in outdoor car cover?

Postby Blaster » Sun 03.01.2021, 13:58

I am using a Car Covers stormforce. The biggest problem is condensation. It is water proof but you have to take it off on dry days to let the car breath. You need to leave it loose so that the wind can lift it to let the car breath.
Tony

1990 Lotus Elan SE 2009 Triumph Daytona 675SE
2012 KTM Freeride 350 2008 VW T5 4-Motion camper.
2019 Ace aviation Spirit 70 2018 AC Nitro 200 Ozone Speedster
Blaster
Tinkerer

Re: Latest insights in outdoor car cover?

Postby dapinky » Sun 03.01.2021, 14:28

Tony (and Henk-Jan),

I got a Stormforce one about 5 years ago - and it was second-hand when I got it.......

..... so it was 2 or 3 years old at the time.

The first Winter of use it was okay, but then (3 or 4 years old???) I noticed that the inner flock lining started to come away - leaving dust all over the car.

This gradually got worse over the next 2 years, getting to a point that I simply stopped using it, or at least, stopped expecting it to be a simple remove and drive away experience.

The condensation attached the dust to the car in such a way that it always needed a full wash before use - so it was used when the car was outside and before the garage was built, but the paint had to be covered with a soft cloth to prevent the (now bald in places) cover from scratching the paint when it moved with wind conditions.

I was never completely happy with it, but it was supposed to be the "best" on the market at that time - maybe I was unlucky, and/or the previous owner never looked after it - but I couldn't recommend it to you.

Now I have the garage, so it isn't an issue - but if I needed to, I think I'd just use an indoor cover and a tarpaulin for long-term solution, or a 'top cover' for temporary times.
Dave

Just the one now, but this one's mine! - and it will be finished eventually.....

go on - click this link - you know you want to!
dapinky
LEC Administrator

Location: As far west as you can get in West Wales before you become Irish (Pembroke Dock).

Postby HJ2 » Sun 03.01.2021, 17:28

Thanks!
HJ2

Postby Dave Eds » Sun 03.01.2021, 21:54

https://shop.thelotusforums.com/collect ... -car-cover

I've got one of these in grey for the Elan (and a green one for the Evora when I had it). Never had any issues......

Anyone need a used one for an Evora btw?
Spud

'92 NM SE, '10 Evora NA now gone '90 Calypso SE now sold '62 Wolseley 1500

Spud's Cotswold Holiday Cottage for hire - LEC discount available
Dave Eds

Location: Wadesmill, Herts or Mickleton, Gloucs or somewhere else

Postby Rambo » Sun 03.01.2021, 22:55

HJ - I don't know how feasible this is for you but worth a look ?

https://www.demon-tweeks.com/carcoon-ev ... lsrc=aw.ds

Or maybe something like this

Clarke CIG81015 Garage / Workshop - Green (4.5 x 3 x 2.4m) - Machine Mart - Machine Mart
https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/clarke- ... rage---da/

You can even doss in it when SWMBO kicks you out :wink:
Rambo
Don't push me

Postby HJ2 » Mon 04.01.2021, 08:58

I like the way you're thinking Rambo!

The first option is more for long time storage, but i drive it once in a while.
The second one i love as well, but i don't think the neighbors will appreciate it :chair:

I think a proper bikini top will do the job as well, as i don't want to keep the car clean, but just the roof & all dry :roll:

@ Dave, looks nice!
Does the Evora cover come with the Evora? :-D
HJ2

Postby david924s » Mon 04.01.2021, 09:27

I had a half cover on my car for two years and although it kept the worst of the weather from the hood it never really worked at keeping water from entering the doors around the window seals and door frame which then led to water getting into the car from the bottom of the doors (over the small door sill step).

Just before Xmas I bought a Cover Zone Stormforce cover and so far it has been great no water at all getting through and much better in the rain and snow we have had recently also a great fit over the car if you order the one specifically for the Elan. More expensive (£187 against £50) than the Bikini top I had before but for more long term outdoor storage much better.

Car has been covered for about 3 weeks now with a portable dehumidifier running inside to help dry out the damp left over from the previous bikini cover and so far it seems to be working car drying nicely inside.
david924s
Enthusiast

Postby HJ2 » Mon 04.01.2021, 13:13

david924s wrote:I had a half cover on my car for two years and although it kept the worst of the weather from the hood it never really worked at keeping water from entering the doors around the window seals and door frame which then led to water getting into the car from the bottom of the doors (over the small door sill step).

Just before Xmas I bought a Cover Zone Stormforce cover and so far it has been great no water at all getting through and much better in the rain and snow we have had recently also a great fit over the car if you order the one specifically for the Elan. More expensive (£187 against £50) than the Bikini top I had before but for more long term outdoor storage much better.

Car has been covered for about 3 weeks now with a portable dehumidifier running inside to help dry out the damp left over from the previous bikini cover and so far it seems to be working car drying nicely inside.

Great!
Somebody just bought the last one a couple of minutes before my order...
Next time i'll chat in private mode and not on a public forum! :twisted:
HJ2

Postby david924s » Wed 06.01.2021, 08:04

Did you try the Cover Zone site itself rather than ebay https://www.cover-zone.com/products/sea ... ports#nogo
Still had stock this morning.
David
david924s
Enthusiast

Postby HJ2 » Wed 06.01.2021, 09:58

In stock now, but now suddenly 35 GBP shipment!
Smells like Brexit as an excuse for ‘not in stock’ cancel my order, raise shipment and poof! Magically back in stock. ?
But what's the alternative :oops:

What would be shipment cost these crazy days if a private person was to send such a package from the UK to the Netherlands?
HJ2

Postby lotusrepair » Thu 07.01.2021, 01:20

In the USA Covercraft Weathershield was the best at keeping the weather out. Thin but breathed and kept rain and snow off. The fabric covers based on evolution type of materials worked well at first but as dirt collected in the cover it was less effective. In winter the weathershield had snow slide right off. The fabric one had snow and ice freeze to the fibers and at times to the car. For the last few years I have had the new garage so the cars now stay inside. I spent many years with only the covers outside. Most companies had a 5 year warranty and at 4 years I would send them back in for a new cover. They covers would stop working at about the 4 year mark. Ethanol fuel also caused problems. Around the fuel filler a black growth would start to stain the cover.

For the best of both worlds I ended up putting on a fabric type first and a weathershield over it.

Chris
lotusrepair
Enthusiast

Postby HJ2 » Thu 07.01.2021, 11:51

Sounds like the same advice that 2 condoms are better then one! :lol:
HJ2

Postby GeoffSmith » Thu 07.01.2021, 12:20

HJ2 wrote:The second one i love as well, but i don't think the neighbors will appreciate it :chair:

Many years ago, my father wanted to buy a strip of land from a neighbour to enable him to build a garage on the side of the house. There was nothing doing until he bought something similar to that and the neighbour soon offered him the land at a very reasonable price.
Calypso Red S2 #417

USB ElanScan interfaces - £60 incl. UK P&P & £65 incl. ROW P&P
GeoffSmith
Kitty Fiddler

Postby HJ2 » Thu 07.01.2021, 12:23

GeoffSmith wrote:
HJ2 wrote:The second one i love as well, but i don't think the neighbors will appreciate it :chair:

Many years ago, my father wanted to buy a strip of land from a neighbour to enable him to build a garage on the side of the house. There was nothing doing until he bought something similar to that and the neighbour soon offered him the land at a very reasonable price.

I will take a picture explaining this is not possible :lol:
Did you read my email? :cheers:
HJ2

Postby GeoffSmith » Thu 07.01.2021, 12:24

HJ2 wrote:
GeoffSmith wrote:

I will take a picture explaining this is not possible :lol:
Did you read my email? :cheers:

I've seen your road!
Yes… and forgot to reply. :oops:
Calypso Red S2 #417

USB ElanScan interfaces - £60 incl. UK P&P & £65 incl. ROW P&P
GeoffSmith
Kitty Fiddler

Postby HJ2 » Thu 07.01.2021, 13:04

Before or after I moved?

HJ2

Postby HJ2 » Fri 08.01.2021, 12:12

I took the plunge and ordered the coverzone.

Usually my car sleeps in the heated garage, but once in a while the car lift is in use for another car, that's when i want to cover mine.
So I won't be using it a lot, hopefully it does not wear fast, but lasts a little longer this way :D
HJ2

Return to Other Items - Wanted