Insurance (uk)

For help finding/discussion about good insurance rates.

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, Nige, Elanlover, Sy V, muley, Enright, algirdas, nitroman, GeoffSmith, clemo, Dave Eds, Specky, DaveT

Re: Insurance (uk)

Postby Rambo » Sat 10.04.2021, 19:06

You will also get a discount if you are a member of Club Lotus, although I'm not sure how much
Rambo
Don't push me

Postby lotusles » Sat 10.04.2021, 19:44

Rambo wrote:You will also get a discount if you are a member of Club Lotus, although I'm not sure how much

You first have to consider the benefits of joining club lotus and the fees involved. Sadly I personally dont think they look upon the M100 as a true Lotus, well certainly Lotus dealers didn't when i worked for Lotus. It was classed as an expensive runt, and boy was it ever a warranty problem
lotusles
Enthusiast

Postby dapinky » Sat 10.04.2021, 20:25

When I had the Elan and the Dolomite on the same classic policy, they only had space for one 'owners club' on the application, so I just entered the Club Lotus details and never got asked for Club Triumph details......
Dave

Just the one now, but this one's mine! - and it will be finished eventually.....

go on - click this link - you know you want to!
dapinky
LEC Administrator

Location: As far west as you can get in West Wales before you become Irish (Pembroke Dock).

Postby Saltire » Sat 10.04.2021, 20:32

Rambo wrote:You will also get a discount if you are a member of Club Lotus, although I'm not sure how much

I looked at that last year when I went to FJ. The discount was more or less equivalent to the CL annual membership fee, so effectively I’d have been getting however many issues of the CL magazine for free.

I decided I had enough reading matter on LEC :D
Jonathan

1995 Elan S2 no 512, BRG/magnolia, last of 4 UK S2 to this spec
2019 VW Golf R - “The Flying Tomato”
2020 Volvo XC40 T4 AWD
Saltire
God

Location: Left foot in Wiltshire, right foot in Gloucestershire, heart in Scotland

Postby clemo » Mon 26.04.2021, 19:04

Awaiting a call back from FJ..Having spoken to them and given them an email request .
Still no reply.
Jim Clark S2 - 1/12. The one with the Yellow spoke wheels . No 613 on dash (pushed in to factory in wrong order 615 on tub)
clemo
LEC Administrator

Postby Rambo » Mon 26.04.2021, 21:11

Saltire wrote:

I looked at that last year when I went to FJ. The discount was more or less equivalent to the CL annual membership fee, so effectively I’d have been getting however many issues of the CL magazine for free.

I decided I had enough reading matter on LEC :D

Club Lotus news is produced 4 times a year and it takes about 15 mins to read from cover to cover. Great if you're into repairing a gearbox on a baby Elan or an Excel but a fairly boring read for all other things. Still, its only £25 pa and you get useful info on national events, discounts, CL trackday info., cheaper insurance etc...

Oh aye, and the worst Club tent at any of the venues I go to.
Rambo
Don't push me

Postby dapinky » Tue 27.04.2021, 09:48

I first joined Club Lotus in 1981, and have been a member ever since. At that time it was the only 'club' for the marque, and, clearly, well before the WWW or Social Media. Even back then it didn't really cater to my particular needs, and the local meet was more about me and a mate having a beer somewhere other than our usual pub.

Although I was driving a baby Elan and a Europa Special in the 80's, much of the CL 'thrust' was at the Elite/Eclat/Esprit crowd (the current models) - I suppose that is where the money always is. There were some excellent technical lectures about the 907/912 engines, but without owning one, I got no 'help'......

....however.....

Then (as now) it was always a feeling of "being a part of something", and Lotus has always seemed to represent a 'family' company, where customers are part of the team.

(obviously, I am squinting through rose-tinted glasses and need to go to Specsavers if I actually believed that!).....

I did go to the annual Track Day at Castle Combe (and still do!) - it was always fun to go past the 'old blokes' in the Elites/Eclats in a squashed black bread van.

Oh, and by belonging, it always seemed to get me a discount on the Insurance.

I have a quick flick through the magazine and read anything of interest..... as with many such publications, it is mainly adverts for companies I don't use.

Personally, I'd rather get an email version, but then the Club would lose advertising revenue I suppose.

I know how much it costs to hire Castle Combe for the day (but I don't know what CL pay for it) - and the money from selling track passes doesn't cover it.

And when you consider that "we" tend to use it as a social (as do others), and are always welcomed by CL (look at what they allowed us to get away with in 2019), I don't think that it is unreasonable to pay to belong to the club...... especially as others have said, the actual cash cost pretty much equals the insurance saving, so it becomes a matter of a fiver a year..... and it is well worth that.
Dave

Just the one now, but this one's mine! - and it will be finished eventually.....

dapinky
LEC Administrator

Location: As far west as you can get in West Wales before you become Irish (Pembroke Dock).

Postby Fredjohn » Tue 27.04.2021, 10:05

:agree:
:goodposting:

Likewise, I've been a member since 1984.
First it's about the car, then becomes about the people. Many good friends for so long.
La vie passe vite: vivez la avec elan(s).

Elan S4 DHC 1969
Elan SE turbo 1992
Evora 2010
MB E250 CDi coupe 2013
Boardman Endurance SLR 9.4 disc carbon road bike
Swift Sundance Lifestyle 500
Fredjohn
God

Postby Rambo » Tue 27.04.2021, 11:03

I signed up to Club Lotus about 20 years ago and they offered fixed terms which I took (I think it was £20 or £25 pa for life) Never goes up, never goes down. As Dave mentions, you feel more part of the Lotus family and so it is worth subscribing a small amount to help and promote this fantastic marque

I've always maintained, "once a Lotus fan, always a Lotus fan" :burnout:

PS isn't it about time you joined the august M122 Evora club Dave :poke:
Rambo
Don't push me

Postby GeoffSmith » Tue 27.04.2021, 12:01

Saltire wrote:

Same experience here, but seeing as I'm an international member and receive the magazine by e-mail, I get an additional £11 AND save a couple of branches.
Calypso Red S2 #417

USB ElanScan interfaces - £60 incl. UK P&P & £65 incl. ROW P&P
GeoffSmith
Kitty Fiddler

Postby dapinky » Tue 27.04.2021, 12:46

Geoff,
I suppose I could use my Romanian address to get the 'international' membership and a .pdf magazine, but can't really be arsed to change the annual DD because I'm basically lazy!

Mark,
Although the Evora is a stunning car, it has one major problem for me.... it has a roof! If I could justify an 'extra' toy in the garage it would probably be far more likely to be a DB9....... but I wouldn't get the use from it.

However, following a link which was put on a FB page (which you won't have seen), I have been considering a semi-topless 1976 Chapman design....... :wink: :wink:
Dave

dapinky
LEC Administrator

Postby Rambo » Tue 27.04.2021, 13:08

dapinky wrote:Although the Evora is a stunning car, it has one major problem for me.... it has a roof! If I could justify an 'extra' toy in the garage it would probably be far more likely to be a DB9....... but I wouldn't get the use from it

The DB9 has a tin roof too :? And you can get a roadster version of the Ebola too :burnout:
Rambo
Don't push me

Postby Simon_P » Tue 27.04.2021, 15:10

dapinky wrote: be far more likely to be a DB9....... but I wouldn't get the use from it.
You wouldn't like the AMOC fees either, not sure they do camping and their version of facilities for making a brew are a bit different to ours. I cant remember when I joined CL sometime in the 90s but like Rambo I pay by SO and it doesn't go up.
Simon_P
God

Previous

Return to Insurance and Breakdown