Insurance (uk)

For help finding/discussion about good insurance rates.

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, Specky, clemo, Nige, Sy V, Dave Eds, DaveT, Elanlover, muley, Enright, algirdas, nitroman, GeoffSmith

Re: Insurance (uk)

Postby dapinky » Sun 08.05.2022, 10:18

Renewed mine yesterday, no 'valuation' bits other than me stating how much I want it covered for.....

.... still the "best" cover per £ for my particular needs and circumstances.
Dave

Just the one now, but this one's mine! - and it will be finished eventually..... - but also temporary custodian of a project until it is finished enough for Angie to drive it

go on - click this link - you know you want to!
User avatar
dapinky
LEC Administrator
 
Posts: 9991
Joined: Sun 15.10.2006, 12:54
Location: As far west as you can get in West Wales before you become Irish (Pembroke Dock).

Re: Insurance (uk)

Postby Rambo » Sun 08.05.2022, 19:53

Yes, me too
User avatar
Rambo
Don't push me
 
Posts: 9085
Joined: Wed 24.12.2003, 00:37
Location: Both sides of the Tweed

Re: Insurance (uk)

Postby TrevorB » Tue 09.08.2022, 13:16

Renewed my Insurance with Adrian Flux and went through the valuation process AGAIN! Last time they didn't except my valuation. A year later they have! Yeah! So with nearly 118,000 miles on the clock I have an £8500 agreed valuation which I think is pretty good.
I'd be happy with that if I was selling.
:wink: :?: :mrgreen:
Silk Red SE Turbo
Short shift conversion with BB aluminium cables
HiSpec's
Piper Exhaust
User avatar
TrevorB
Wannabe Princess
 
Posts: 849
Joined: Sun 23.01.2011, 21:18
Location: Gravesend, Kent

Re: Insurance (uk)

Postby Tuga2112 » Tue 09.08.2022, 13:56

TrevorB wrote:Renewed my Insurance with Adrian Flux and went through the valuation process AGAIN! Last time they didn't except my valuation. A year later they have! Yeah! So with nearly 118,000 miles on the clock I have an £8500 agreed valuation which I think is pretty good.
I'd be happy with that if I was selling.
:wink: :?: :mrgreen:

only that Trevor ?

not sure you can get something in similar condition for 8500.

I was expecting your car to be insured on the 5 figures mark.
Still learning
Youtube Channel @Tuga2112 M100 repair videos
User avatar
Tuga2112
God
 
Posts: 2146
Joined: Fri 12.09.2014, 22:54
Location: Durham with a regular trip to Walsall

Re: Insurance (uk)

Postby TrevorB » Tue 09.08.2022, 14:32

Tuga2112 wrote:only that Trevor ?

not sure you can get something in similar condition for 8500.

I was expecting your car to be insured on the 5 figures mark.


Thanks, the only way I suppose to get a true valuation is to get maybe Club Lotus to do a personal visit and valuation. But, kind words and we would all like our cars to be five figures despite their age. 'Merlot' has a lot of miles on the clock! It's a car that is driven. :wink:
Silk Red SE Turbo
Short shift conversion with BB aluminium cables
HiSpec's
Piper Exhaust
User avatar
TrevorB
Wannabe Princess
 
Posts: 849
Joined: Sun 23.01.2011, 21:18
Location: Gravesend, Kent

Re: Insurance (uk)

Postby Tuga2112 » Tue 09.08.2022, 14:50

well. they seem to have dipped a bit on value since i last checked.

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-detail ... sed&page=2

if there's someone who knows about Elan's and would sell you one in similar condition i think that seller has the reputation... but hes car has 50% more miles than yours.....
Still learning
Youtube Channel @Tuga2112 M100 repair videos
User avatar
Tuga2112
God
 
Posts: 2146
Joined: Fri 12.09.2014, 22:54
Location: Durham with a regular trip to Walsall

Re: Insurance (uk)

Postby Rambo » Tue 09.08.2022, 22:59

Trevor, I will beat that and give you £8600 for your pride and joy :lol:

Realistically you should be looking at £12.5- 15K for a GVS. My Black Beastie is £13K GVS and Naefuck Custard £11K with Footman James (no Club Lotus valuation. They insured purely on my photos and service history/mileage ie 60K and 129K) Approx. £200 oa

I think you need to investigate a new insurance company :?
User avatar
Rambo
Don't push me
 
Posts: 9085
Joined: Wed 24.12.2003, 00:37
Location: Both sides of the Tweed

Re: Insurance (uk)

Postby Tuga2112 » Tue 09.08.2022, 23:08

Rambo wrote:Trevor, I will beat that and give you £8600 for your pride and joy :lol:

Realistically you should be looking at £12.5- 15K for a GVS. My Black Beastie is £13K GVS and Naefuck Custard £11K with Footman James (no Club Lotus valuation. They insured purely on my photos and service history/mileage ie 60K and 129K) Approx. £200 oa

I think you need to investigate a new insurance company :?


Mark.
do you reckon my youtube series is a suitable alternative to your service history when it comes to valuation ?
Still learning
Youtube Channel @Tuga2112 M100 repair videos
User avatar
Tuga2112
God
 
Posts: 2146
Joined: Fri 12.09.2014, 22:54
Location: Durham with a regular trip to Walsall

Re: Insurance (uk)

Postby Saltire » Wed 10.08.2022, 09:20

My S2 is at an agreed £12,000 with Footman James, and they will give an agreed valuation up to (IIRC) £15K without any special paperwork (unlike Flux who I was with previously).
Jonathan

1995 Elan S2, BRG
Mrs Saltire’s 2022 Mini Countryman Cooper S
User avatar
Saltire
God
 
Posts: 2295
Joined: Sun 05.04.2015, 22:27
Location: Left foot in Wiltshire, right foot in Gloucestershire, heart in Scotland

Re: Insurance (uk)

Postby dapinky » Fri 28.04.2023, 15:59

As my renewal is due on 24th May, the 'paperwork' arrived online, at a cost of £180 for the year - this includes salvage retention, agreed value, spare parts (up to £10K) for myself and Angie up to 3K miles.
After a phone call to Footman James it has increased to £212 - but now also has the other car covered for an agreed value of £8K (green car is £14K)....

.... so £32 to add the second car seems good to me - especially as I told them that they may well both be used at the same times.

Maybe I could have shopped around and saved a bit - but I'm happy with the quote and the cover provided.

I know the project isn't on the road yet, but as a change to the policy during the year would cost me a £25 admin fee, it made sense to stick it on now..... all done for a year, and when the car gets it's bodywork done, I shall update the agreed value to reflect the increase. (They wouldn't let me agree a value higher than I could expect to sell the car for now, which I suppose is fair enough).

One of the things I like about FJ is that even when you tell them about modifications and upgrades, my basic premium has remained the same - they just need to know about it, and document it all so that it is fully covered.
Dave

Just the one now, but this one's mine! - and it will be finished eventually..... - but also temporary custodian of a project until it is finished enough for Angie to drive it

go on - click this link - you know you want to!
User avatar
dapinky
LEC Administrator
 
Posts: 9991
Joined: Sun 15.10.2006, 12:54
Location: As far west as you can get in West Wales before you become Irish (Pembroke Dock).

Re: Insurance (uk)

Postby Tuga2112 » Tue 02.05.2023, 21:10

dapinky wrote:As my renewal is due on 24th May, the 'paperwork' arrived online, at a cost of £180 for the year - this includes salvage retention, agreed value, spare parts (up to £10K) for myself and Angie up to 3K miles.
After a phone call to Footman James it has increased to £212 - but now also has the other car covered for an agreed value of £8K (green car is £14K)....

.... so £32 to add the second car seems good to me - especially as I told them that they may well both be used at the same times.

Maybe I could have shopped around and saved a bit - but I'm happy with the quote and the cover provided.

I know the project isn't on the road yet, but as a change to the policy during the year would cost me a £25 admin fee, it made sense to stick it on now..... all done for a year, and when the car gets it's bodywork done, I shall update the agreed value to reflect the increase. (They wouldn't let me agree a value higher than I could expect to sell the car for now, which I suppose is fair enough).

One of the things I like about FJ is that even when you tell them about modifications and upgrades, my basic premium has remained the same - they just need to know about it, and document it all so that it is fully covered.


I am with FJ as well... been with them for 9 years (only insurance my yellow car ever had.

i have been adding other cars as i keep collecting them and the way things work internally for them have been slowly dismistified to me...

what i can tell you folk (and this is something people from FJ wont tell you) is that multi car classic policies have a weird way of working... and after i added the 6th car to my policy. i was allowed to increase the mileage from 10k to unlimited..
that together with adding my brother and my mother to the policy (and finally the green elan) has cost me less than £500 a year...
Still learning
Youtube Channel @Tuga2112 M100 repair videos
User avatar
Tuga2112
God
 
Posts: 2146
Joined: Fri 12.09.2014, 22:54
Location: Durham with a regular trip to Walsall

Re: Insurance (uk)

Postby Simon_P » Tue 29.08.2023, 17:37

Insurance time again and the reduced 'fleet' (now down to 4) and the premium has gone down due to less cars and back up to where it's always been due to inflation, costs, market forces etc etc
I didn't try and explain that inflation has a negative effect on the value of my car - so the premium should go down.

Anyway, after a very good chat with Hagerty who were competitive I had another very good chat with RH who tweaked my renewal (milage , club membership) and renewed with them.
If you need specialist insurance or a multi car policy I can recommend both.
Simon_P
God
 
Posts: 2405
Joined: Fri 06.08.2004, 12:33
Location: Kent UK

Previous

Return to Insurance and Breakdown

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest