Electric Water Pump

Alternator, waterpump, A/C, sensors, CAS, etc.

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, Nige, Elanlover, Sy V, muley, Enright, algirdas, nitroman, GeoffSmith, clemo, Dave Eds, Specky, DaveT

Electric Water Pump

Postby Ron16 » Sun 10.05.2015, 22:19

The plastic part of my electric water pump broke, where one of the hoses is attached. I think the pump is still ok and as you all know, a replacement is very expensive. So I am looking for just the plastic part. Maybe somebody has replaced his electric pump and still has the old one? Would appreciate some help very much! Thanks, Ron.
Attachments
IMG_5435.jpg
electric water pump plastic part
IMG_5434.jpg
electric water pump broken plastic part
IMG_5432.jpg
electric water pump 02
IMG_5430.jpg
electric water pump 01
S2 BRG #137
Ron16

Re: Electric Water Pump

Postby novacaine » Sun 10.05.2015, 22:22

I've just swapped mine for a c class one. The motor and seal are knackered, but the casing is good. Where are you located?

1994 Lotus Elan S2 #170 (Steel Blue)
novacaine
Fanatic

Postby Jamie N » Sun 10.05.2015, 22:26

Its worth connecting the wires directly to a battery and make sure its working, not easy to know for sure when its on the car as its very quiet running but in your hand you can feel it whirring.
Hope you got that C class one for buttons Jonathan! :D .
Jamie N
Seal God

Postby HJ2 » Mon 11.05.2015, 07:50

You could glue the part back on with a good quality epoxy.
Let it cure in an oven so end strength will be higher then when you let it cure in ambient conditions. That will save you some pennies as well
If you always do what you always did, you always get what you always got
HJ2
Wodan - God of the Low Lands

Postby Ron16 » Mon 11.05.2015, 08:24

Thank you very much to you all! It is just incredible how fast the members of our forum react! :cheers:
S2 BRG #137
Ron16

Postby epipete » Mon 11.05.2015, 10:02

Is this the sort of part that lends itself to 3D printing?
You know more than you think you know, just as you know less than you want to know. ... Oscar Wilde
epipete
God

Postby HJ2 » Mon 11.05.2015, 10:22

It is very much so :D
If you always do what you always did, you always get what you always got
HJ2
Wodan - God of the Low Lands

Postby cliff » Mon 11.05.2015, 12:40

Might be worth replacing it anyway with a new or newer one. Plenty of Mercs in the scrapyard (where most of them belong)

viewtopic.php?f=46&t=23718
91 Lotus Elan SE Turbo
03 MG TF 135 Sprint (Partner's)
15 Renault Megane Coupe

If you can't be a good example, then you might as well be a terrible warning
cliff
God

Postby morciii » Mon 11.05.2015, 14:51

i replaced mines with one off a Merc and it's working perfectly well. Saves a lot of cash too.
1992 Lotus Elan SE British Racing Green
1985 Talbot Horizon GLE Heather Green
morciii
Enthusiast

Postby Tanz » Sun 16.05.2021, 16:10

My electric pump is not working so I thought I would take it apart and see if it can be fixed. The 4 screws holding the 2 halves of the plastic end were very corroded. They are quite thin and snapped leaving half left in the body. So I am searching for a new one and came across these cheaply priced Chinese ones

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/384150813092 ... 19783c667c

Has anyone any experience of them? Would obviously need a plug fitting
Phil
1991 Lotus Elan M100
1988 Lotus Excel SE
Tanz

Postby dapinky » Sun 16.05.2021, 16:18

I found out yesterday that mine is not working...... and I have firmly established that it could have 'failed' at any time during the past 30 years, as I have never turned the engine off when it is hot enough to need to work.

I have to admit, I have been intending to 'look at it' for the last 15 years (to check it is or isn't okay), but I actually got round to fitting a fan override switch yesterday, so it seemed like a perfect chance to test the pump (just click the switch with the ignition off!)... and nowt happens.

As said, I have never 'needed' it to work, but now find myself wondering if a failing-to-rotate pump blade will have a detrimental effect on the overall cooling system, so am I better off replacing it, or just put a 19mm copper tube elbow in its place?????

Clearly, I am not in a rush to get it sorted, as it was probably like it when I got the car (or may have stopped last week - who knows?)... so would be interested in a cheap part all the way from China, rather than a Lotus part quickly delivered from the UK at a stupid price.

(hence, I am watching this thread with interest).
Dave

Just the one now, but this one's mine! - and it will be finished eventually.....

go on - click this link - you know you want to!
dapinky
LEC Administrator

Location: As far west as you can get in West Wales before you become Irish (Pembroke Dock).

Postby Simon_P » Sun 16.05.2021, 21:54

Ron16 wrote:So I am looking for just the plastic part. Maybe somebody has replaced his electric pump and still has the old one? Would appreciate some help very much! Thanks, Ron.
As it happens... I am having a mega clear out at the moment and found my old pump with a broken motor yesterday. I nearly threw it out but thought the pump might be useful. Free if you still need it.

dapinky wrote:so would be interested in a cheap part all the way from China, rather than a Lotus part quickly delivered from the UK at a stupid price.

The problem with the replacements is the plug/loom. I bought mine from the distributor that I got the starter and alternator parts from and thought about doing a group buy, but I thought £60 was a bit expensive - I could if people are interested, or I can find the Chinese ebay equivalent and you can place a regular order... order now for Christmas!

The solution to the plug was to chop the lead off the old pump and attach some connectors on the end to make a fly lead - I'll take a picture. (The new pump has the plug built into the end of the pump rather than a lead and the loom won't reach)
Simon_P
God

Postby Tanz » Fri 04.06.2021, 17:13

Well I ordered the Chinese pump for £27. Delivery quoted was 5 weeks but it turned up after 1 week. :D
A search of the garage turned up 2 spade connectors with rubber insulation that fitted. They are quite small - the same size as the small spade connector on car speakers.
So I cut the cable off the old pump, soldered it to the space connectors and put some shrink insulator around them. The picture of the pump on ebay shows which terminal is positive and which is negative. My new pump didn't have those markings. I took a flyer and wired it the same as the picture. Applied 12 volts to it and observed which way the pump went and it seemed to go in the right direction. Fitted it, ran the engine until the fans came on the turned off the engine. Happy days - the reassuring hum of the pump could be heard so job done :D

Phil
1991 Lotus Elan M100
1988 Lotus Excel SE
Tanz

Return to Engine Ancillaries