water pump - do they fail?

Alternator, waterpump, A/C, sensors, CAS, etc.

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, Nige, Elanlover, Sy V, muley, Enright, algirdas, nitroman, GeoffSmith, clemo, Dave Eds, Specky, DaveT

Re: water pump - do they fail?

Postby madbilly » Fri 03.09.2021, 00:06

Yes.
madbilly
Fanatic

Postby BertBeck » Fri 03.09.2021, 18:24

This seems to be the only timing belt kit available atm on Rockauto (unless Im missing something) but is "economy."
Has anyone used this kit ?
https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.ph ... 65&jsn=465
Its either that or S.J 's kit which is £256.
Can anyone advise plz
We all think we're Rod Stewart
BertBeck
Tinkerer

Postby Rambo » Fri 03.09.2021, 18:51

BertBeck wrote:This seems to be the only timing belt kit available atm on Rockauto (unless Im missing something) but is "economy."
Has anyone used this kit ?
https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.ph ... 65&jsn=465
Its either that or S.J 's kit which is £256.
Can anyone advise plz

Bert - I have done a quick trawl through the RA website and come up with the US motor works kit which is £65.63. Looks to be the same as the one you have linked

I haven't used this kit personally so can't comment on its suitability. In the past we have had loads of choice and most go for the Dayco kit or combination of Dayco/Gates/Bando/Beck and Arnley products. It looks like at present are having supply problems like us over here

However if you look for the individual parts ie cambelt, water pump, idler, tensioner, alternator belt, PAS belt (check with/without air con) and mix and match there is a much better choice

Please note that it is not essential to replace all of these parts - some do whilst they are changing the cambelt and water pump and some don't. It's up to you but at RA prices I always do, just as a precaution
Rambo
Don't push me

Postby dapinky » Fri 03.09.2021, 20:17

As Mark said (but it might have been Simon, 'cos it was so quick and accurate :wink: ) there are other options.

I can't comment on the quality of the parts you linked to 'cos I've not seen or used them.

I have always used the Dayco 95169K1 kit, and if you put that term into Google, Summit Racing in USA list it on an 'order' basis.

I have used Summit before and had good service from them, and there may well be other options if you do a more thorough search.

Just for reference, I attach an image of my most recent order from RA which shows the parts I currently have fitted to my car:-

rockauto cambelt order.png
Dave

Just the one now, but this one's mine! - and it will be finished eventually.....

go on - click this link - you know you want to!
dapinky
LEC Administrator

Location: As far west as you can get in West Wales before you become Irish (Pembroke Dock).

Postby BertBeck » Sat 04.09.2021, 00:57

Cheers guys, will ave a look,

Bert
BertBeck
Tinkerer

Postby Rambo » Sat 04.09.2021, 09:30

dapinky wrote:As Mark said (but it might have been Simon, 'cos it was so quick and accurate :wink: ) there are other options

Blimey, I've been quick and accurate 2 days running - that must be some sort of LEC record for me :lol:

Standards must be slipping in deepest Kent :P
Rambo
Don't push me

Postby Simon_P » Sat 04.09.2021, 13:24

I read your post and there was nothing left to add.

Looking on my phone - can't tell if the usmw kit is round or square tooth.
Simon_P
God

Postby BertBeck » Sun 05.09.2021, 02:40

Cheers Simon, so presumably if replacing both water pump and timing belt, as long as they have same tooth then all ok?
BertBeck
Tinkerer

Previous

Return to Engine Ancillaries