Bonnet Sound Deadening

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, Nige, Elanlover, Sy V, muley, Enright, algirdas, nitroman, GeoffSmith, clemo, Dave Eds, Specky, DaveT

Re: Bonnet Sound Deadening

Postby NewLogik » Mon 06.07.2020, 12:05

Mike Y wrote:Ok so I received the sample and it looks a excellent match to the original so I ordered their min quantity and they manufactured and delivered within 5 days :-D :clap:

I will post more photos when I've cut it using the original as a template. At £56 including VAT and delivery its a fraction of the cost of shipping the ready cut product from the USA, and this is foil backed with self adhesive on the foil as per original spec. £20 of the cost was delivery which if you live near Melton Mowbray you could probably save yourself £22 of the £56 including vat :D Also the min quantity might do 2 bonnets? :D

Definitely looks good. Where did you order this one ?

Regards,
NewLogik
Enthusiast

Postby Mike Y » Thu 09.07.2020, 12:17

The company is called

A.G.S Acoustic Materials Ltd in Leicestershire Call Richard he was extremely helpful. tel 01664 411770

The product code is N12/SA/FF/AG-LAM. :D
1992 SE Elan Black (Concours Restoration Ex Jamie Jimbob)
Mike Y
Fanatic

Postby nicowalker1 » Sat 27.03.2021, 17:48

Hi Mike, how did this work out for you? Was the quality as expected?
nicowalker1
God

Postby clemo » Sat 27.03.2021, 17:56

I remember the 1st group buy .. it was lotus logo with silver foil ....
any ideas if the original suppliers still have the template and can do another batch ? that is of course its on price , can be done , or mikey y's version is equally as good.
How did you get on Mike ?
Jim Clark S2 - 1/12. The one with the Yellow spoke wheels . No 613 on dash (pushed in to factory in wrong order 615 on tub)
clemo
LEC Administrator

Postby Mike Y » Tue 30.03.2021, 12:26

Hi
I have not fitted the finished article yet.

I must say the product is excellent and as per original fitment and very low cost especially if you live near Leicester. I will be experimenting how best to cut to shape soon I have the old sound deadening as a template. I will post photos when I get back on to working on JUFs in the next month.

Cheers Mike
Mike Y
Fanatic

Postby TrevorB » Sun 11.04.2021, 14:18

Mike Y wrote:Hi
I have not fitted the finished article yet.

I must say the product is excellent and as per original fitment and very low cost especially if you live near Leicester. I will be experimenting how best to cut to shape soon I have the old sound deadening as a template. I will post photos when I get back on to working on JUFs in the next month.

Cheers Mike

Mike, have you managed to fit this yet?

My original bonnet sound deadening was slowly disintegrating so I have removed it and put in a temporary replacement. Would obviously like to replace it with a better looking
item that is more consistent with original.

2021-04-11 13.30.25 (640x480).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Silk Red SE Turbo
Short shift conversion with BB aluminium cables
HiSpec's
Piper Exhaust
TrevorB
Wannabe Princess

Postby ElanSteve » Tue 08.06.2021, 17:35

Update for those in the US.
Classic 9 Leather shop says they are no longer available for unspecified technical reasons ( I phoned them this week).
Little British Car Company is trying to order one for me. I think their supplier was Classic 9 though so I'm waiting to hear if they can fulfill my order. The guy at LBCC reckons the Classic 9 mat didn't have the foil either. So I'm debating whether or not to figure out how to put some foil down before the insulation - maybe some of the relatively thin foil-foam-foil sandwiches.....

Meanwhile continuing the messy job of trying to remove all the old sealant holding the panels together.
Steve Brightman
Dallas TX
ElanSteve

Postby Mike Y » Mon 12.07.2021, 11:35

Hi Everyone
I finally got around to cutting the sound deadening I can confirm the product is identical to original spec in all respects including foam density. :D It is very easy to cut using good quality sharp scissors. I found the best way to mark out the outline was to draw around the original foam black / Foam side up as the new adhesive backing paper is waxy so ink just rubs off. I will attach photos.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mike Y
Fanatic

Postby Mike Y » Mon 12.07.2021, 11:47

Here is a photo of the old and new foam against each other the old foam is a lighter grey colour due to age. This shows the foam density etc is identical to original spec. I fitted new Lotus supplied original foam to JUFs back in 1999 and I can certainly confirm this product is 100% to the original spec.
Mike Y
Fanatic

Postby ElanSteve » Tue 03.08.2021, 19:29

Bonnet refurbishment post script. Some thoughts for those contemplating this and lessons learned. If I was ever to do this again....

IMG_0798.jpeg

1. It's a messy job, that black goo gets everywhere. Cleaning it all out was the longest and messiest part of the job.
    2. I spent a lot of time messing with aluminum foil to try and duplicate the original. Next time I wouldn't add the foil at all. I measured the dc resistance from one side to the other after all the foil was in place, it was basically infinite so not good conductivity though the glue holding the sheets in place. Not necessarily bad for suppression purposes where capacitive coupling would be more important. I meant to run some tests before reading the bonnet, but forgot. Once in place I tested with the bonnet open. No discernible radio interference across the AM or FM bands.
    3. Don't waste your money ordering custom fit insulation. Much cheaper to just buy a roll of closed cell foam of your choice. The inner shell is a perfect template to trace the outline on your insulation and give you a perfect fit. Don't bother with the "ears" that go up to the hinges.

This was part two of my delamination refurbs. First was the cover over the convertible top which covered my fingers in black goo every time I raised/lowered the roof. We fixed that in place by scraping out as much goo as possible and resealing with epoxy. The boot lid now wants to join the party! Again I will scrape out the goo from the corners and attempt a repair without completely separating the two halves.

IMG_0797.jpeg
Steve Brightman
Dallas TX
ElanSteve

Postby GeoffSmith » Tue 03.08.2021, 22:44

Not bad for a scientist.
Calypso Red S2 #417

USB ElanScan interfaces - £60 incl. UK P&P & £65 incl. ROW P&P
GeoffSmith
Kitty Fiddler

Postby Mike Y » Thu 05.08.2021, 23:11

The foam I have sourced requires [i]NO GLUE[/i] it is self adhesive as per the original.

Closed cell foam is readily available in the UK as is closed cell foam with a foil face but the problem is the modern products have the self adhesive glue on the foam leaving the foil facing the engine bay. The company I contacted now specially produce the foam backed with foil and place the self adhesive glue on the foil as per original spec for Elan owners as per the product code given else where on this thread, leaving the black foam facing the engine as per original. It is an exact match. The price is no different to the off the shelf product with the glue on the foam so it is reasonably priced comes straight off a roll for you to easily cut yourself as per my photos. The minimum order quantity will cover 2 bonnets including the smaller front bonnet pad, making it in UK pricing approx £30 per bonnet. :D
Mike Y
Fanatic

Postby Mike Y » Mon 13.09.2021, 14:18

Finally fitted!!! :D

With foam removed from the wings under the hinges exposing the foil backing as per original spec.

I am pleased with the result. :D :D
Mike Y
Fanatic

Postby Tuga2112 » Thu 23.09.2021, 08:21

Mike Y wrote:The foam I have sourced requires [i]NO GLUE[/i] it is self adhesive as per the original.

Closed cell foam is readily available in the UK as is closed cell foam with a foil face but the problem is the modern products have the self adhesive glue on the foam leaving the foil facing the engine bay. The company I contacted now specially produce the foam backed with foil and place the self adhesive glue on the foil as per original spec for Elan owners as per the product code given else where on this thread, leaving the black foam facing the engine as per original. It is an exact match. The price is no different to the off the shelf product with the glue on the foam so it is reasonably priced comes straight off a roll for you to easily cut yourself as per my photos. The minimum order quantity will cover 2 bonnets including the smaller front bonnet pad, making it in UK pricing approx £30 per bonnet. :D

Mike,

can you forward the details about this company so i can put down the order for enough foam to sort out both my cars please
1991 elan se
1991 elan se project
91 MR2 Turbo (import) project
94 Celica GT4 (Import)
94 4Runner
98 Celica SR

too many projects. not enough sunny days :(
Tuga2112
God

Postby Mike Y » Mon 27.09.2021, 10:35

Mike Y wrote:The company is called

A.G.S Acoustic Materials Ltd in Leicestershire Call Richard he was extremely helpful. tel 01664 411770

:D Excellent product exactly as original
Mike Y
Fanatic

Postby clemo » Mon 27.09.2021, 21:11

Mike Y wrote:
Mike Y wrote:The company is called

:D Excellent product exactly as original

Thank you Mike.
Jim Clark S2 - 1/12. The one with the Yellow spoke wheels . No 613 on dash (pushed in to factory in wrong order 615 on tub)
clemo
LEC Administrator

Previous

Return to Hood/Top, Bodywork and Fittings