Outrigger Protection - Front Bottom Wheelarch damage

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, Specky, clemo, Nige, Sy V, Dave Eds, DaveT, Elanlover, muley, Enright, algirdas, nitroman, GeoffSmith

Outrigger Protection - Front Bottom Wheelarch damage

Postby AJSGSE1990 » Thu 20.08.2026, 06:47

The outriggers seem to be a significant problem with this car if they ever start rusting. I am lucky and mine seem to be in rude health. However, this is now the stage in the rebuild where I should be thinking of protecting the area against future problems. Also, the bottom of the front wheelarch has taken some damage and whilst the fibreglass can be patched it does seem like that would be an obvious place to add some protection. Either with an ally plate, something relatively thin, or some thin mud flap material. What have people tried? What should I do to protect the outriggers?

Thank you,

Andrew.
WhatsApp Image 2026-08-20 at 06.24.31 (2).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2026-08-20 at 06.24.31 (1).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2026-08-20 at 06.24.31 (8).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2026-08-20 at 06.24.31 (7).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2026-08-20 at 06.24.31 (6).jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
User avatar
AJSGSE1990
Tinkerer
 
Posts: 96
Joined: Fri 16.01.2026, 15:16
Location: Great Saling, Essex, United Kingdom

Re: Outrigger Protection - Front Bottom Wheelarch damage

Postby RonR » Thu 20.08.2026, 18:22

The later SEs had extra butyl rubber sealant and drainage holes in the sills, if your car's an early SE it may be worth adding them - Details are in the "Water Ingress Addendum" to the Service Notes - Section BK.
User avatar
RonR
Fanatic
 
Posts: 723
Joined: Mon 22.08.2016, 20:25
Location: Bromley

Re: Outrigger Protection - Front Bottom Wheelarch damage

Postby AJSGSE1990 » Thu 20.08.2026, 19:08

RonR wrote:The later SEs had extra butyl rubber sealant and drainage holes in the sills, if your car's an early SE it may be worth adding them - Details are in the "Water Ingress Addendum" to the Service Notes - Section BK.


Brilliant, thank you!

Screenshot 2026-08-20 190741.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
User avatar
AJSGSE1990
Tinkerer
 
Posts: 96
Joined: Fri 16.01.2026, 15:16
Location: Great Saling, Essex, United Kingdom

Re: Outrigger Protection - Front Bottom Wheelarch damage

Postby DublinBlueElan » Sun 11.10.2026, 11:33

I'd like to add to this since I have never seen it mentioned before. The holes in the sills are right behind the outriggers in line with the 2 jacking points. I have found that the sill itself is hallow. For anyone with no carpet, you can put your hand through the outriggers and touch the sill. This is the inner sill, not the outer sill you see when looking at the car. These are sealed units and hold water. Look at what came out of mine after I added a hole.
Image

To explain what I did different to the bulletin, see below.
Image
1992 Aqua Blue se turbo
User avatar
DublinBlueElan
Newbie
 
Posts: 26
Joined: Fri 22.08.2025, 13:14
Location: Dublin Ireland


Return to Hood/Top, Bodywork and Fittings

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests