Help needed: How to replace Intercooler Housing

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, Nige, Elanlover, Sy V, muley, Enright, algirdas, nitroman, GeoffSmith, clemo, Dave Eds, Specky, DaveT

Help needed: How to replace Intercooler Housing

Postby Coupeboy » Wed 09.06.2021, 07:39

So, I purchased a better condition intercooler housing - I tore the old one between the two large holes at the lower rear whilst getting stuck over a kerb :oops: ; I also noticed the other side (oil cooler housing) is similarly damaged :o . I now seem to have run up against an issue getting to the last two bolts to remove the old housing. They seem to attach it to the 'chassis leg' but as far as I can see are inaccessible with the top clam running immediately above. Am I missing something? Has anybody else removed the intercooler housing with the clam and/or bumper in place? I haven't removed the intercooler itself yet (pesky jubilee clips) but I'm assuming I will need to at least do that before attempting removal of the housing. Any suggestions appreciated. I'm not removing the front clam just for this so I'll give up otherwise. At least I've replaced all the rusty bolts I have removed with stainless replacements 8)
1992 Elan Pacific Blue SE
2007 325se Coupe
Coupeboy
Enthusiast

Re: Help needed: How to replace Intercooler Housing

Postby par » Wed 09.06.2021, 09:49

You should be able to remove the intercooler housing with the bumper removed but dont think you need to remove the clam. The top rear bolt is the trickiest but should be achievable using an extension and universal joint and socket although if rusted and not removed recently it may be harder.

When refitting I had to cut a slot in the housing for the top rear fitting point so the housing can slide into position with the bolt already fitted to then just be tightened up.

Good luck
par
Fanatic

Re: Help needed: How to replace Intercooler Housing

Postby Coupeboy » Wed 09.06.2021, 11:25

Thanks for the quick response. I can see how removing the bumper should improve things and since you've done it already it proves it's possible. I have now also recalled and re-watched Toby's Front bumper removal on Youtube and you can see the front intercooler top bolt revealed. I think I'll tackle the bumper removal and renew all those bolts too. Cheers
1992 Elan Pacific Blue SE
2007 325se Coupe
Coupeboy
Enthusiast

Return to Turbos, Boost, and Intakes