cam shaft oil seal

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, Nige, Elanlover, Sy V, muley, Enright, algirdas, nitroman, GeoffSmith, clemo, Dave Eds, Specky, DaveT

cam shaft oil seal

Postby johnj » Tue 29.06.2021, 08:31

Hi

Just been contacted by the firm doing my car's cylinder head gasket, I supplied the bits to fix the head gasket(thanks dapinky,). They say they want some extra pieces. These I can source from SJ Sports cars However he says he wants 2 camshaft oil seals. I can only see a front cam shaft oil seal on SJ's site. This suggests to me, who knows nothing, that there is a rear cam shaft oil seal that is different to the front cam shaft oil seal. If this is the case does anyone know where I can source both seals?
johnj
Tinkerer

Re: cam shaft oil seal

Postby dapinky » Tue 29.06.2021, 10:33

Hi John,

There are 2 camshaft seals in the engine, one on the inlet cam and one on the exhaust cam.... they are referred to as 'front' seals as they are on the front end of the engine (except it is the right side of the car!)

Both items are fairly 'standard' oil seals, and not specific to Lotus.

Rock Auto list them at various prices from 35p up to £4.24 (depending on make).... but, crucially, they state that the seal is 45mm outer diameter, 30mm inner diameter, and 7mm thick.... with a single lip Nitrile construction. From this information, your man should be able to source one quite easily.....

....Amazon list this one (but not currently available) - however the picture clearly shows the dimensions 'printed' on the item to be as above.....

...so a quick Google search shows a selection available from these guys in the UK, at various prices (but all less than SJs)
Dave

Just the one now, but this one's mine! - and it will be finished eventually.....

go on - click this link - you know you want to!
dapinky
LEC Administrator

Location: As far west as you can get in West Wales before you become Irish (Pembroke Dock).

Re: cam shaft oil seal

Postby johnj » Tue 29.06.2021, 18:17

Thanks dapinky. All ordered so hopefully on the road in the next fortnight :D :D
johnj
Tinkerer

Return to Engine