Set scanners to stumped

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, Nige, Elanlover, Sy V, muley, Enright, algirdas, nitroman, GeoffSmith, clemo, Dave Eds, Specky, DaveT

Set scanners to stumped

Postby TorqueHorse » Sun 26.07.2020, 22:39

I'm trying to play with my new toy, but it just doesn't want to talk to me :smt089 Only shows 'No reply' when I have ElanScan on, connected, and talking

Car
Stock ECU in FED Elan made in Dec '90
Has continuous 1-2 code when I use paper clip
Goes into service mode when I short out pins A & B
Has ~5V on pin G wrt pin A when I turn the ignition on
Has ~5V on pin B wrt pin A when I turn the ignition on

Computer
Using a Win7 laptop (tried 2 different ones)
ElanScan 0.9.9.63
An FTDI driver that was automatically loaded when I plugged the cable in
COM ports set to match from Device Manger & ElanScan (multiple tried)
Latency set to 1 (multiple tried)

Any trouble shooting tips; special cheat codes u u d d l r l r... ;something different since it is FED; different driver or operating system on the computer side? Open up the ECU and shock it? :smt072 I am thinking it is suspicious that the ECU has no fault codes even though it runs, shudders, and coughs like old dog, but then isn't the ECU supposed to put out a 5-1 if she's shot? I also pulled both plugs that go into the bottom of the ECU and reseated them, but no change either. Grrrr.
'90 FED M100 -mid resto
Chassis Exterior FrSus RrSus Engine Trans Wheels Steering Brakes Cooling Fuel Ventilation Exhaust Interior
TorqueHorse
Fanatic

Re: Set scanners to stumped

Postby Hogflash » Mon 10.08.2020, 19:50

I've run into this before, but never came up with a good solution.

You can try using the TunerCat "DataCat" scan software which supports the M100 and see if that works OK for you. You can download it from http://tunercat.com/ . DM me if you want/need an authorization code after the 10-day trial period expires.

--Gary
Hogflash

Postby TorqueHorse » Mon 10.08.2020, 19:58

Oh cool! I'll give it a shot and let you know, thanks!
'90 FED M100 -mid resto
Chassis Exterior FrSus RrSus Engine Trans Wheels Steering Brakes Cooling Fuel Ventilation Exhaust Interior
TorqueHorse
Fanatic

Postby TorqueHorse » Mon 17.08.2020, 00:32

Unfortunately, I'm in the middle of trying to take out the engine and had just drained the oil, so I wasn't able to actually start the engine, but I was able to turn the ignition on. I don't know if I set up the program right, but this is what I got. "Synchronized" but no data showing up.
I would have thought I would get a reading on the volts at least, even with the engine turned off. It also threw up an error message when trying to 'Get the DTC info' , so I think it is just as 'bad' as when I use ElanScan, but I don't have anything to compare it against, so I don't know. Thanks again for the tip on this program and if you have any feedback on if this is normal (or not).
'90 FED M100 -mid resto
TorqueHorse
Fanatic

Postby johnj » Mon 17.08.2020, 17:42

Hi

I am computer illiterate, but my youngest is employed in the trade. He made me an Elan Scan cable but could not get any results on the computer. He finally succeeded in getting data downloaded :oops: by running an xp virtual machine inside the windows operating system. No idea what that is or what it means but you might.
johnj
Enthusiast

Postby TorqueHorse » Mon 17.08.2020, 18:11

Seems like it's an eldritch art to coax the messages from Rosie ;) Thanks for the tip, I'll look into giving that a whirl after I replace my headgasket.
'90 FED M100 -mid resto
TorqueHorse
Fanatic

Postby TorqueHorse » Thu 26.08.2021, 03:17

Update, New ECU and its still boohoohoo

I was happy that I finally got my new ECU today, but unfortunately, I'm still not able to figure out elanscan. There is some hope that I get some different data showing with the new ECU, but I can't get it to log...

old ECU
Symptoms: No Reply once ignition switched to ON; no data of any kind shown in left panel

new ECU
Symptoms: Bad echo once ignition switched to ON; some data shown in left panel, but nothing seems to log (or change while engine is running)?

Any help please? Really anything: computer settings; cable traces; special curse words...
'90 FED M100 -mid resto
TorqueHorse
Fanatic

Postby dapinky » Thu 26.08.2021, 10:02

The only thing I can see on the second picture (the one where it is at least connecting) is that the elanscan port is reading at 200ms......

.... did you change the settings on the 'Advanced' tab to read at 1ms???

(full picture-guide to installing/using elanscan with Windows10 (and 7, 8, 8.1) is on the 'Manuals' website.....)
Dave

Just the one now, but this one's mine! - and it will be finished eventually.....

go on - click this link - you know you want to!
dapinky
LEC Administrator

Location: As far west as you can get in West Wales before you become Irish (Pembroke Dock).

Postby RonR » Thu 26.08.2021, 12:41

Try updating your FTDI driver, some versions don't receive data - More info on the manuals page Here and forum thread Here...

TorqueHorse wrote:Update, New ECU and its still boohoohoo
I was happy that I finally got my new ECU today, but unfortunately, I'm still not able to figure out elanscan. There is some hope that I get some different data showing with the new ECU, but I can't get it to log...

Any help please? Really anything: computer settings; cable traces; special curse words...
RonR
Enthusiast

Postby TorqueHorse » Thu 26.08.2021, 12:57

Thanks guys, I'll try those things tonight :)
'90 FED M100 -mid resto
TorqueHorse
Fanatic

Postby TorqueHorse » Fri 27.08.2021, 04:05

Ok, more progress. Downloaded those drivers but still getting some "bad echo", BUT was able to log some data. I think the USB port might be loose too. A bit hard to juggle it all in the dark, but definitely better than last night. Will try more this weekend in the light. Thanks again guys!
'90 FED M100 -mid resto
TorqueHorse
Fanatic

Return to ElanScan