Engine earth

Post cries for help here if your topic fits no other thread in this category.

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, Nige, Elanlover, Sy V, muley, Enright, algirdas, nitroman, GeoffSmith, clemo, Dave Eds, Specky, DaveT

Engine earth

Postby Simon_P » Thu 06.04.2017, 19:03

I know that the black earth wires are bolted to the end of the intake, but what does the big earth braid attach to... I need to know exactly what ie which bolt, stud or screw? I can't blooming remember.

Thanks,

Simon
Simon_P
God

Re: Engine earth

Postby lotusflasherman » Thu 06.04.2017, 19:52

On the vertical face of the chassis crossmember, just forward of the master cylinder, is a bolt that several big earth braids are secured by - it goes there. (Well it does on mine, I just looked.. :lol: )
Phil

Leave me alone, I think I know what I'm doing.
Cars: Subaru Forester 2.5XTN, Eclat Riviera, brace of Pacific Blue SE's, Collapso SE, Elan+2S.... and now an Evora
lotusflasherman
God

Location: Hadleigh, 15m west of Ipswich or 800 miles south (Cap d'Agde)

Postby TorqueHorse » Tue 06.07.2021, 00:11

Hi, same problem, but maybe the different end of the stick?
Looking up at starter motor, oil filter adaptor, alternator, and loose earth braid

I've got a loose earth braid and I can't figure out where this gets mounted to the engine... Manual just says "-An earth braid connects the right hand front (rear side) of the cylinder head to the right hand end of the chassis front crossmember."

Anyone have more guidance on where this may go? Thanks!
'90 FED M100 -mid resto
Chassis Exterior FrSus RrSus Engine Trans Wheels Steering Brakes Cooling Fuel Ventilation Exhaust Interior
TorqueHorse
Fanatic

Postby TorqueHorse » Tue 13.07.2021, 02:30

Closing this out for me at least.

Looking down at the rear of the cylinder head; fuel regulator on left, oil cooler pipe connections on right

After rereading that quote from the manual over and over, I changed where I was hunting and moved up above the oil cooler pipes to have better access to the head vs the block. I found an aluminum piece right at the timing belt cover that kinda matched where the kink in the earth braid already was, and mounted it to it. I'll follow-up if I have earth problems.
'90 FED M100 -mid resto
Chassis Exterior FrSus RrSus Engine Trans Wheels Steering Brakes Cooling Fuel Ventilation Exhaust Interior
TorqueHorse
Fanatic

Return to Miscellaneous Problems - Need Help!