Idle flare on start up

Leads, coils, plugs, starters, starting probs etc.

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, Nige, Elanlover, Sy V, muley, Enright, algirdas, nitroman, GeoffSmith, clemo, Dave Eds, Specky, DaveT

Idle flare on start up

Postby M100TURBOFR » Thu 10.06.2021, 13:43

Hi
A year on and problem still not solved (nobody over here knows anything about M100s so can't take it to a garage). Decided to take the plenum (common chamber) off to check all vacuum connections underneath. Everything appears to be in order (no split vacuum hoses). I did notice that not all of the plenum gasket is present (bits missing) - car did run properly before problem appeared however - Could the incomplete gasket be the cause of my problem? The IAC valve (new) is operating ok. Adjustment of throttle control sensor does nothing. Adjustment of Idle screw does nothing.
Am truly at a loss. Once Covid restrictions are totally lifted, I may have to come over to the UK as I can't resolve the issue.
Thanks for any ideas.
P.S. I read somewhere about something concerning 20 counts. What is this exactly and how does one obtain the sdaid 20 counts?
David
Where there's a will, there's a way.
M100TURBOFR
Fanatic

Re: Idle flare on start up

Postby scotlan » Thu 10.06.2021, 20:58

Up to now, there has been no response, so I will mention what happened to my S2. I had flare up, upto 1.500 rpm when stationary. The vacuum pipe was damaged at the vacuum reservoir, invisible without removing the wheen arch liner. I replaced the pipe and the reservoir and the tickover became normal again. Not sure if this will help you but it's a suggestion.
scotlan
Enthusiast

Postby Simon_P » Fri 11.06.2021, 20:47

The missing bits of gaskets may be causing a leak.

The IAC will corect any adjusments to the idle screw unless you are im service mode. There is a good explanation with base settings in the wiki.

The 20 clicks is the normal position for the IAC. You can see the settings in elanscan.

In service mode the IAC is set at 20 and you adjust the idle screw to set the revs. The screw should be as described in the wiki if you have no leaks.
Simon_P
God

Postby M100TURBOFR » Fri 11.06.2021, 21:42

Thanks Simon
I'll need to see about getting a new gasket then build it all back together. Is Elanscan really easy to use and is it a worthwhile investment?
David.
Where there's a will, there's a way.
M100TURBOFR
Fanatic

Postby Simon_P » Fri 11.06.2021, 22:32

Yes very simple to use. interpreting the graphs may require you to read the engine manual and vice versa. Download the software and find a file on here to see how it works. Look at Coolant temperature and see where the thermostat opens and the fan comes on for example.

The lead can be made DIY but if you don't want to fiddle around and want one that works see there's only on f in Geof Smith!
Simon_P
God

Return to Ignition and fuelling