Engine cuts out mysteriously, now won't start

Leads, coils, plugs, starters, starting probs etc.

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, Nige, Elanlover, Sy V, muley, Enright, algirdas, nitroman, GeoffSmith, clemo, Dave Eds, Specky, DaveT

Re: Engine cuts out mysteriously, now won't start

Postby HJ2 » Thu 17.06.2021, 16:15

Was the FPR ruled out as a possible cause?
If you always do what you always did, you always get what you always got
HJ2
Wodan - God of the Low Lands

Postby madbilly » Thu 17.06.2021, 22:53

Hi all,

Thanks for the part references David, they will definitely come in useful for future. Worth putting all this in the wiki?

HJ, I'm sure you would have it fixed in a jiffy! However they only wanted to take the car to a "real" garage, which is why I needed to find a friendly one to receive it near our new home. The FPR maybe a cause, I was only told that the cause was a faulty fuel pump, they couldn't tell me what was ruled out. Now that the car will be returned to me unrepaired I can try to test everything before I order any new parts. To be honest, apart from the cost, this is the outcome I am happiest with because it means I get to fix it myself! :D

ADAC told me that moving to the UK will cause cancellation of my membership so it sounds like they're clamping down on non-German residence of members.

Cheers :)
madbilly
Fanatic

Postby madbilly » Thu 01.07.2021, 00:24

Hi all,

Not got the Elan back yet. It was collected by the transporter Car Port last week and i think it might be somewhere in Germany now!

I was thinking about the cause again. The few times i was able to get it going again required me to keep the revs up. Final attempt it would only cough and splutter when trying to rev and would otherwise die. Does this make the pump or pressure regulator more likely than wiring or relay?

madbilly
Fanatic

Postby esprit888 » Thu 01.07.2021, 05:12

I’m fighting a very similar issue on my daughters GTI right now. We had a killer (literally) heat dome for 4 days at plus 40 Celsius and it died repeatedly on her way home. Narrowed it down to an overheated fuel pump relay which would fail only when temperatures were over 38. Heat is the enemy of all energize to run relays and the poor coil couldn’t handle it anymore at plus 40 ambient (some areas were 48.7 which is 120 Fahrenheit, toasty). A Relay would be a cheap and quick item to eliminate as your issue.
esprit888
God

Postby madbilly » Thu 01.07.2021, 18:28

Hi esprit888,

Thanks for sharing your experience, that sounds similar. I heard on the news that the last few days have been horrendously hot in BC, is that where you are? Record temperature for Canada I heard. The day I got the fault wasn't the hottest day of our trip, but the preceding days had definitely been hot - although only low 30s, nothing like your recent experience!

Anyway, plenty to test!

madbilly
Fanatic

Previous

Return to Ignition and fuelling