Door trim inserts

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, Nige, Elanlover, Sy V, muley, Enright, algirdas, nitroman, GeoffSmith, clemo, Dave Eds, Specky, DaveT

Door trim inserts

Postby Graaf » Thu 22.04.2021, 17:13

I am in the process of having some trim redone at Allon Whites.

They have informed me that the door inserts are broken. The original ones are flexible and in three parts joined together with webbing.

Is this right or should they be solid?

Oh, it’s a 1992 SE.

Thanks
Graaf
Enthusiast

Re: Door trim inserts

Postby dapinky » Thu 22.04.2021, 17:35

It isn't uncommon for them to break. They are made of a plastic material to give a little flex, but the 'grooves' cut into it to allow the leather to fit correctly are very close to the top and bottom edge, so that is where they break.

The chances are very slim of finding any (unless someone has any lying about) - and even slimmer to find unbroken ones.

The good news is that they can be repaired in numerous ways (but not simply a dab of glue) - I have repaired them with gaffer tape (after glueing it!), with fibreglass resin and mat, and ended up making a new pair out of fibreglass, using the door panel as the mould.
Dave

Just the one now, but this one's mine! - and it will be finished eventually.....

go on - click this link - you know you want to!
dapinky
LEC Administrator

Location: As far west as you can get in West Wales before you become Irish (Pembroke Dock).

Re: Door trim inserts

Postby Graaf » Fri 23.04.2021, 11:09

Ah, OK thanks.

I’ve spoken with Allon Whites and they will repair them with fibreglass.

Thanks again.
Graaf
Enthusiast

Return to Interior