Effing Knee Bolster

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, Nige, Elanlover, Sy V, muley, Enright, algirdas, nitroman, GeoffSmith, clemo, Dave Eds, Specky, DaveT

Re: Effing Knee Bolster

Postby DeanG » Thu 18.01.2018, 02:11

I also had a miserable time removing the bolster, all due to elastic stop nuts, the seeming mile long threaded studs and the after market car alarm. Now that the alarm has been removed everything under the dash is much easier.

There I was, seat out, in the lotus position working on the stop nuts when a piece of insulation fell into my open mouth. I thought I was going to die until I managed to wiggle out of the car and cough it up. Wear a mask or bandanna.
DeanG
God

Postby TorqueHorse » Sun 31.05.2020, 03:52

Hey, I've joined the M100 blursed bolster removal club! Wish I'd read this post first though :)
Only because I tried 3 other sizes first, I was determined to make the documentation right...
kneeBolster.png

Yes, it really does take a million turns to get them off, just keep turning. Like folks say, really deep socket and a fancy universal joint adaptor can help in the weird angles too.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'90 FED M100 -mid resto
Chassis Exterior FrSus RrSus Engine Trans Wheels Steering Brakes Cooling Fuel Ventilation Exhaust Interior
TorqueHorse
Fanatic

Postby Brit-Car-Nut » Sun 31.05.2020, 05:28

They also make 1/4 and 3.8 inch drive air (and battery) ratchets that don't require any turning at all... Just hit the button.

The Milwaukee 3/8 inch battery ratchet isn't too expensive and has a LOT of torque, but I like my fairly tiny 1/4 inch Snap On air ratchet.

What are you going to do to fill in the under dash void the bolster covered?
Please contact me via eMail, not by PM
Brit-Car-Nut
God

Postby marvic » Sun 31.05.2020, 15:00

When I removed mine I replaced the nylocs with old fashioned nuts and a spring washer so once slightly loose, easy spins using fingertips.
1991 Elan M100
1985 Caterham Super Seven
1952 MG TD
marvic

Postby Brit-Car-Nut » Sun 31.05.2020, 15:55

So that means you are putting the bolster back on?

I swapped the tilt-able steering column from the UK car and used the LHD filler panel instead of the bolster.
I had to add two brackets to accommodate the upper mounting screws for the panels, but I was able to get the correct dimensions from the other European parts I have scrounged.

I will post some pictures once I have the column fully finished.
Please contact me via eMail, not by PM
Brit-Car-Nut
God

Postby TorqueHorse » Sun 31.05.2020, 18:19

@marvic
Love the spring washer idea for when I put it back on. The nylock had just enough friction to make it too hard for my (by then fatigued) fingers to spin.
@BCN
No fancy plans, just the typical remove 5 parts to get to one sequence so I could get the main instrument cluster out. Looking forward to seeing photos of what you've swapped out. Thanks for the tips on the power assist ratchets. I already blew my tool budget for the month getting a pneumatic impact wrench for the brake job, but those look pretty handy and will go on the list :)
'90 FED M100 -mid resto
Chassis Exterior FrSus RrSus Engine Trans Wheels Steering Brakes Cooling Fuel Ventilation Exhaust Interior
TorqueHorse
Fanatic

Previous

Return to Interior