Black on white instrument conversion

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, Nige, Elanlover, Sy V, muley, Enright, algirdas, nitroman, GeoffSmith, clemo, Dave Eds, Specky, DaveT

Black on white instrument conversion

Postby BarryDalHerbert » Fri 19.06.2020, 14:30

Metal Monkey no longer make the black on white instrument conversion.

They suggested that I try Lockwood International.
https://www.lockwoodinternational.co.uk ... /8352.html

I’m not so keen on their white on black offering, but has anybody got experience of this product?

Or is there yet another supplier?

BdH
Australia
BarryDalHerbert
Tinkerer

Re: Black on white instrument conversion

Postby Rambo » Fri 19.06.2020, 15:36

I personally have no experience of the Metal monkey or Lockwood products. But there are folks on here that have used either or both. I think JohnW has the Lockwood dials installed, maybe Rip too ??? I'm sure someone will be along soon to give you 1st hand knowledge Barry
Rambo
Don't push me

Postby Rambo » Fri 19.06.2020, 15:42

Just found a comment by Rip......
rip wrote:I had Lockwoods on a previous car & they suffered UV yellowing after 3-4 years which was noticeable because of the while mark left where the speedo sat while parked

Seems like Iain isn't the only one to experience yellowing either. Type in Lockwood to the search box facility (upper RHS)
Rambo
Don't push me

Postby rip » Fri 19.06.2020, 16:33

I had those white dials on my Mk3 Cavalier, which was over 15 years ago. They looked ok when new.

After seeing Nige's Metal Monkey dials in his S2, I got some for my Calibra & really liked them. They were unpainted stainless with green numerals. I have bought a set for the Elan but have never removed the instrument panel in order to fit them. I may get around to it when a bulb fails.
Metal Monkey's website was showing completely different products when I checked it recently. I saw another comment on here suggesting it was the same company. I can understand them moving products because instrument panel design has moved on, which will have almost removed the market.

A friend of mine got plasma dials for his Calibra. There seem to be several suppliers for these. Calibras, Mk3 Cavaliers & Mk1 Vectras use the same pattern of dial but with different digits so they may be worth searching for.

The choice seems more limited than it was a few years ago, presumably because older cars have either been re-dialled or scrapped by now. You may well be able to get some custom made possibly from artwork which has been removed from websites due to low sales.
1990 SE
rip
God

Postby RonR » Fri 19.06.2020, 17:29

Just spotted These indiglow black on white dials on Epay. No idea if they're any good but maybe worth a punt?
RonR
Enthusiast

Postby BarryDalHerbert » Sun 21.06.2020, 13:15

I got excited about RonR's find until I noticed that they are MPH (we drive in kilometres in Oz).

Thanks everybody for the responses, I'll keep looking, but it looks as though I might have to be content with the standard jobbies!

BdH
BarryDalHerbert
Tinkerer

Postby Elanlover » Sun 21.06.2020, 14:06

I have the white on black Metal Monkey dials and have been quite happy with them. Was there anything specific you wanted to know?
I do whatever my Rice Crispies tell me to do
Elanlover

Postby BarryDalHerbert » Mon 22.06.2020, 06:38

Basically ELANLOVER, I just wanted to know where I might get a black on white instrument conversion kit from now that Metal Monkey no longer make them for the M100.

I'd prefer to have something other than the standard red/orange on black dials, so I thought that I'd ask if the LEC Think Tank [a] knew of another supplier, and [b] for the good/bad/indifferent experiences of those who already have alternatives fitted.

- - - - - - - - - - - -

To add to the Lockwood International comments above, I saw this on an Audi TT forum while searching for a white on black dial conversion supplier:
I've still got some dials from my previous TT (made by Lockwood I think) but they are silver with black dials, I used them for a while but I found that they were completely unreadable at certain times when it was dark and just the illumination of the dash lights on so I swapped them back again, but seeing yours with the white background then they look much better with more contrast between the white background and black characters than mine with the silver background.

BdH
Oztralia
BarryDalHerbert
Tinkerer

Postby Elanlover » Mon 22.06.2020, 12:04

I've made quite a few modifications to the instrument cluster and one of them was to replace all the back lighting with LEDs. However, this wasn't a great solution as they tended to leave "hot spots" and not light the cluster uniformly. So, I sourced "angle eye" rings, cut out sections to be more hemispherical, then glued them to the back of the individual dials to provide uniform light. Works perfectly. I'm miles behind on updating all my various projects so when I catch up I'll post pictures.
I do whatever my Rice Crispies tell me to do
Elanlover

Postby abmunro » Tue 23.06.2020, 09:41

I changed mine to Lockwood dials see my thread. I have had no issues with them.

viewtopic.php?f=79&t=17977
91 Elan SE 24k miles, 270 BHP @ 1.25 barg. Roll hoops + fairings+ speed humps Elise lights. S2 alloys. Nitrons& Eibachs,AP's front & Hi Spec rear brakes
abmunro
God

Return to Interior