Suitable Rear View Mirror Replacement

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, Nige, Elanlover, Sy V, muley, Enright, algirdas, nitroman, GeoffSmith, clemo, Dave Eds, Specky, DaveT

Suitable Rear View Mirror Replacement

Postby CallMeLegend » Wed 19.08.2020, 15:48

Looks like Missy has had a new screen at some point, so the rear view mirror & mounting plinth are AWOL.

Has anybody found a suitable replacement mirror that actually works?

Thinking of one from an MGF as the mounting plinths are also readily available.

Mirror - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MG-MGF-MG-TF ... SwENdfFZKo

Plinth - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-MG-MGF-M ... Switxb7b9U
CallMeLegend
Fanatic

Re: Suitable Rear View Mirror Replacement

Postby TorqueHorse » Wed 19.08.2020, 17:44

Is there a reason you wouldn't want to try and go original? I don't know if these actually work, but I've seen some on ebay for cheap. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LOTUS-ELAN-M ... XQgoBRggtX

The mounting plinth is just a bit of steel with a slight bevel and a threaded hole for the set screw. I could measure mine up if that would help to fabricate a replacement (which I think could be done with home tools and a bit of steel bar).
'90 FED M100 -mid resto
Chassis Exterior FrSus RrSus Engine Trans Wheels Steering Brakes Cooling Fuel Ventilation Exhaust Interior
TorqueHorse
Fanatic

Postby wayne » Thu 20.08.2020, 19:11

TorqueHorse wrote:Is there a reason you wouldn't want to try and go original? I don't know if these actually work, but I've seen some on ebay for cheap. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LOTUS-ELAN-M ... XQgoBRggtX

The mounting plinth is just a bit of steel with a slight bevel and a threaded hole for the set screw. I could measure mine up if that would help to fabricate a replacement (which I think could be done with home tools and a bit of steel bar).

The mirrors that SW Lotus are selling on ebay are really bad. They look nothing like they do on the picture. I bought a few of them when he first advertised them. His listing used to read a little differently, I think that it said that some of them had damage. To be polite, they should just be thrown in the bin unless you can replace the mirror glass. I was shocked to see how bad they were compared to the picture.

Also, they do not come with the plinth, so it probably would not be much help.
1992 Pacific Blue, Top end performance Kit. K&N airfilter& HKS BOV. Everest. HiSpec fronts, SS hoses. 2010 Canyon red Evora.
http://www.elanm100.com
wayne
God

Postby alan e » Thu 20.08.2020, 19:22

I may be wrong but the mirror on the SE is not the same as the S2 again i may be wrong.
Black 1992 M100
2010 black evora
Austin 7 1932 box saloon
BMW X5
alan e
God

Postby wayne » Thu 20.08.2020, 19:59

alan e wrote:I may be wrong but the mirror on the SE is not the same as the S2 again i may be wrong.

Alan, Deroure parts list only shows 1 part number for the mirror but I've never seen an S2 Elan, so I could be wrong.
1992 Pacific Blue, Top end performance Kit. K&N airfilter& HKS BOV. Everest. HiSpec fronts, SS hoses. 2010 Canyon red Evora.
http://www.elanm100.com
wayne
God

Postby alan e » Thu 20.08.2020, 20:20

Just been out to my garage i have 2 mirrors one with a cable coming out of the mirror with the switches under the mirror like the one on my se and one with the part number A100V0015F with a socket at the back no cables and the switches at the front of the mirror which i think maybe for a S2.
Black 1992 M100
2010 black evora
Austin 7 1932 box saloon
BMW X5
alan e
God

Postby TorqueHorse » Thu 20.08.2020, 20:23

wayne wrote:The mirrors that SW Lotus are selling on ebay are really bad. They look nothing like they do on the picture...

Ahh, that stinks.
'90 FED M100 -mid resto
Chassis Exterior FrSus RrSus Engine Trans Wheels Steering Brakes Cooling Fuel Ventilation Exhaust Interior
TorqueHorse
Fanatic

Postby alan e » Thu 20.08.2020, 20:36

Check on parts list and it shows the cable coming out of the mirror if i remember South West Lotus sent me this mirror and i phoned them to say it's the wrong mirror for the car they said they would get back to me but never did so right part number but wrong mirror both are missing the mount but are the same size.
Black 1992 M100
2010 black evora
Austin 7 1932 box saloon
BMW X5
alan e
God

Postby TorqueHorse » Thu 20.08.2020, 23:03

That's funny, I didn't even notice that the ebay one is different from mine in the photo.
@CML, the MG one you posted looks like a nice match, with the map lights underneath. The only big difference I see is the stalk length, but I don't know what the impact of having a shorter stalk would be. Here are some photos of how mine sits in relation to the glass and dash, if that is helpful for you in making your choice. Also, a quick eyeball measurement was that the height of the mirror was about 6 cm.

'90 FED M100 -mid resto
TorqueHorse
Fanatic

Return to Interior