Rear caliper recommendations

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, Nige, Elanlover, Sy V, muley, Enright, algirdas, nitroman, GeoffSmith, clemo, Dave Eds, Specky, DaveT

Rear caliper recommendations

Postby BertBeck » Mon 05.07.2021, 00:45

I bought a set of reconditioned rear calipers (£320 the pair) 3 years ago after the OEMs had done their time. Once fitted they worked efficiently enough to get through 3 MOTs but the handbrake was always high, about 7 clicks, and not very good. Had some pre MOT checks done last week and rear brakes are now poor, about 25kgf on the rolling road. I've not got the time to refurbish the calipers and need the car back ASAP.
So I was thinking of going for the PNM rear calipers with new pads and handbrake cables, £600 with the VAT. Anyone had any experience with them? Are they problematic to fit?
Or can anyone recommend an alternative caliper. Is it worth getting new proportioning valves at the same time? And is there anything else I might need to know. Having read through some of the threads I see this is a not so straightforward swap.

Cheers in advance
We all think we're Rod Stewart
BertBeck

Re: Rear caliper recommendations

Postby Jamie N » Mon 05.07.2021, 15:07

There's always these if you have some tools and the will to save a fortune .... viewtopic.php?f=41&t=26878
Jamie N
Seal God

Postby BertBeck » Mon 05.07.2021, 20:24

I did read this Jamie and it looks like the perfect set up, I'm just not sure I've got the time or the ability or the patience to do the job :?
Is there much fettling involved? I've done a few jobs on the car myself but usually take it to the garage if its out of my league.
BertBeck

Postby Jamie N » Mon 05.07.2021, 21:31

The main issue is setting up the part that holds the handbrake cable, it needs shortened and set at a slightly different angle to clear the back of the hub, plus making up the 2 brackets that hold the carrier, not overly difficult if you have a place to work in with some basic tools, an angle grinder, a vice, good quality drill etc. The great thing is these calipers are widely available for little cost these days, they are the same on type R and type S civics (2006 to 2011), and provided you keeps the slider pins nicely greased they will well out perform the golf derived ones which are known to be problematical.

If you are not the type of guy that regularly uses a grinder shaping metal and fettling stuff I wouldn't advise taking it on Bert, if you are, then fire away as I can help you with dimensions and hole spacings etc. :wink:
Jamie N
Seal God

Postby BertBeck » Mon 05.07.2021, 22:01

Cheers Jamie, I've got a mini workshop in my sons garage where he works on his mini restoration.
Ill drop you a message in a day or 2 ,thanks
BertBeck

Postby Rambo » Tue 06.07.2021, 06:56

There's your answer Bert. Take up Jamie's kind offer re. dimensions and hole spacings and get your son to help you, or even do it for you.

I know what route I'd go down if I had those facilities available. As Americans would say, it's a no brainer
Rambo
Don't push me

Postby Portugal_lotus » Sat 17.07.2021, 11:58

Jamie N wrote:The main issue is setting up the part that holds the handbrake cable, it needs shortened and set at a slightly different angle to clear the back of the hub, plus making up the 2 brackets that hold the carrier, not overly difficult if you have a place to work in with some basic tools, an angle grinder, a vice, good quality drill etc. The great thing is these calipers are widely available for little cost these days, they are the same on type R and type S civics (2006 to 2011), and provided you keeps the slider pins nicely greased they will well out perform the golf derived ones which are known to be problematical.

If you are not the type of guy that regularly uses a grinder shaping metal and fettling stuff I wouldn't advise taking it on Bert, if you are, then fire away as I can help you with dimensions and hole spacings etc. :wink:

Hi Jamie ,
Many thanks for your sharing and you keep rocking !
I’m with problems in my car and would be amazing if you
Can you please give me the measurements or a tutorial to make
The upgrade ?
Many thanks
Portugal_lotus

Postby GreasyJoe » Sat 17.07.2021, 21:52

Jamie N wrote:The main issue is setting up the part that holds the handbrake cable, it needs shortened and set at a slightly different angle to clear the back of the hub, plus making up the 2 brackets that hold the carrier, not overly difficult if you have a place to work in with some basic tools, an angle grinder, a vice, good quality drill etc. The great thing is these calipers are widely available for little cost these days, they are the same on type R and type S civics (2006 to 2011), and provided you keeps the slider pins nicely greased they will well out perform the golf derived ones which are known to be problematical.

Hi Jamie
same here if you have the tech info to make up what's required I'd be very grateful. Likely have to take it to someone to do the work but rather do that than pay for other calipers that are just as bad as my Hi Spec ones.
GreasyJoe

Postby Jacko » Mon 19.07.2021, 15:36

I recently replaced my rear calipers with these, whereupon what Mrs J calls the “really useful car” sailed through its MOT.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/parts/cardo ... liper,1704
and

The Cardone 184327 part is a straight swap for the Lotus rear RH caliper. A half hour job, plus bleeding.
Strangely, 184328 has a different handbrake lever, so I had to modify the Lotus lever as per the LEC Wiki and that took a bit more time.

With hindsight, a phone call to Rock Auto might have got me two calipers with correct handbrake levers.

If anyone is interested, I do have a spare set of these Cardone calipers, and some spare rear brake pads, because it seemed silly to ship less than 100 bucks worth of stuff from America…
Jacko

Postby GreasyJoe » Thu 22.07.2021, 18:31

Jacko wrote:I recently replaced my rear calipers with these, whereupon what Mrs J calls the “really useful car” sailed through its MOT.

and

The Cardone 184327 part is a straight swap for the Lotus rear RH caliper. A half hour job, plus bleeding.
Strangely, 184328 has a different handbrake lever, so I had to modify the Lotus lever as per the LEC Wiki and that took a bit more time.

With hindsight, a phone call to Rock Auto might have got me two calipers with correct handbrake levers.

If anyone is interested, I do have a spare set of these Cardone calipers, and some spare rear brake pads, because it seemed silly to ship less than 100 bucks worth of stuff from America…

Just to confirm they are complete callipers and not just half of a whole? One side seems to be missing something but I’ve only got my Hi Spec versions to compare with which look different to these. Not sure what the original ones looked like.
I was getting interested but when you mentioned the different handbrake lever needs some fetteling, that put me off. Don’t have any facilities to fabricate or machine parts. If simple to fix then let me know and might be interested.
GreasyJoe

Return to Suspension and Brakes