feckin council, feckin pothole's feck feckity....

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, Nige, Elanlover, Sy V, muley, Enright, algirdas, nitroman, GeoffSmith, clemo, Dave Eds, Specky, DaveT

feckin council, feckin pothole's feck feckity....

Postby stevo » Tue 10.01.2006, 15:34

KABLAMMM!!! what the fcuk was that? big feckin hole in the road thats what. i've buckled one of my lovely rims :( . i hit the pothole so hard it triped my inercia switch.

has anyone tryed sueing(sp) the council for a pothole damaging ther car?
arancio baby! thats italian for orange! i think?
stevo
God

Postby theelanman » Tue 10.01.2006, 16:10

I was going to but found it easier to sort it under the warranty of the last repair I had done.......this was on a +2...
however I asked the same question and was told I could....
you need pics and lots of them...and measurements....IIRC it needs to be deeper than 2" and over 10" dia.....
I hit a pot hole in my +2 after it had been repaired after a lady took the front of it off.....they put me a new nose section on and when I hit this pot hole I cracked the entire wheel arch where the tyre had impacted after the shocker had collapsed.......I founfd the red tape at the council rather difficult so told my insurance that the repair that was about 3 months old was faulty......it want back and got repaired!!!
hope this helps...if not I'll ask my mate who's a lawyer...to him anything is possible!!!
cheers
G
theelanman

POTHOLE

Postby johnbenk » Tue 10.01.2006, 17:54

Hi.

You could try making an insurance claim for an "accident". You insurers
could then try for recovery from the HIGHWAYS INSURERS for a "TORT"

Ie. Were the Council informed that the Road had a POT HOLE likely to cause an ACCIDENT ie: Did they know? If SO so did they fail to do something about it (ie) Negligence , under the HIGHWAYS Act in "FAILING IN THEIR DUTY OF CARE TO MAINTAIN THE ROAD TO THE REQUIRED STANDARD AS LAID DOWN BY THE LOCAL AUTHORITY and was the POT HOLE caused by the lack of Maintence. When was the Road
last resurfaced etc? Was it due for resurfacing? A good Solicitor could make a case for you under the no win no fee if you had been a Pedestrian And "tripped in the pothole" WHEN CROSSING THE ROAD etc causing personal injury.

GOOD luck.

jOHN BENK
johnbenk
The only Gay in the Village

Postby Gary » Tue 10.01.2006, 18:28

I'd heard that more of the road maintenance budget was used to settle compensation claims than was used for road repairs...
Ex owner of S2 no 480 and Red SE
Gary
God

Postby chris.t » Tue 10.01.2006, 18:40

Gary wrote:I'd heard that more of the road maintenance budget was used to settle compensation claims than was used for road repairs...
:roll: :roll: :roll:
Could the 'Hokey-Cokey' actually be what it's all about?
chris.t
God

Postby Paul.P » Tue 10.01.2006, 20:11

Perhaps they should use more of the Road Fund Licence money for the actuall upkeep of the roads, you go get em Stevo ! :smt066
JPS M100 was built from bare chassis up to create one off M100 in the mould of JPS Team Lotus
Paul.P
God

Postby stevo » Wed 11.01.2006, 10:22

or the 70% tax on all the optimax i go through :(
stevo
God

Postby Enright » Wed 11.01.2006, 13:39

Should I mention the revenue generated by all the speed cameras at this point, or is that just pouring Optimax on the flames?

Hey, perhaps it was an inverse sleeping policeman! Is this the Scottish method of traffic calming? :P
Striking fear into the hearts of duplicate posts everywhere...! :P

BCingU,
Neil ;-)
Enright
Modificator

Postby Scott J » Wed 11.01.2006, 16:14

You can sue the council. As mentioned above councils now spend more in out of court settlements than they do on road repairs so a double edged sword. That said they spend far too much on social services and not fixing the roads that WE pay for through exhorbitant taxation.

You will need plenty of photographic evidence.

Stevo, was it in Renfrewshire. Many years ago (20-25) my Dad was out on his racer with expensive new wheels, Mavic rims and Campagnolos hubs. Went in a deep pot hole, full of water, crashed bike and f****d wheel.

He successfully sued the B's for new wheels.
Scott J
The prodigal son

Postby Dico » Wed 11.01.2006, 16:59

Didnt it damage your rear wishbone Stevo?? are you sure it did'nt :?

Doesnt it advise in the manual you should replace each side?

Can see a good deal coming out of this!

Get some pics before they fill it in!
4+ hours stuck in a damp bucket seat with a mad Irishman at the wheel - Deep joy!!!!
Dico
Fool Boy Four - Founder

Postby stevo » Wed 11.01.2006, 18:05

mmmmm wishbones? :smt077
stevo
God

Postby Stef » Wed 11.01.2006, 19:03

Photo the wheel with your camera phone and phone the police to report the hole and the damage. Get a crime ref number.

Then take a proper photo of the damage.

Call the council, being polite at first. :wink:

If needs be move onto the 'won't anybody think of the children' cr4p and go on about kids busses and parents with kids etc etc. Although threatening the press won't help much (council's don't generally give a sh..) it maybe worth a mention also. Hopefully you shouldn't need to get into an arguing your case situation.

Has to be a serious road hazard angle to the situation.

Yes I do know someone who had a similar prob. Her rims were frikkin expensive ones on a TT and IIRC she didn't get a full payment for repair. Also contacted the wheel manufacturers with an issue on their strength but since they were new she had a better angle with them there.

Good luck! :)
Men are like a fine wine.
They begin as grapes, and it's up to women to stomp the sh * t out of them until they turn into something acceptable to have dinner with.
Stef
TVR/PistonHeads Ambassador

Postby M100 TWO » Fri 13.01.2006, 21:54

Stevo take a good look at the side wall of the tyre near the impact, are you still driving on the wheel and tyre? if so pressurise the tyre to its maximum pressure if the side wall is slightly deformed scrap the tyre for your own safety, roads have become like those in the third world thanks to our wonderful politicians
Don't try to defie the law of physics! here endeth the first lesson
M100 TWO
God

Postby Rambo » Sat 28.01.2006, 11:46

Stevo,

Years ago I managed to successfully get money out of Central Regional Council after my GTi hit a pothole and loose catseye outside Callander. I ended up with 2 new alloys, a tyre and tracking checks costing about £300 - £400 at the time.

I took loads of photographs, gave detailed descriptions of the poor maintenance of the road, collected about 6 other catseye's (that weighed about 1kg each !!) as proof of lack of maintenance. I threatened a "small claims" court action and that I would be round to deliver their catseye's in person. I also took the car to a reputable dealer for a repair quotation and invited them to see the damage firsthand if they needed.

I did all this formally through a typed letter and once they received the written quote they stumped up immediately. Didn't lose a penny on my own insurance

Hope this helps ?

Mark
Rambo
Don't push me

Postby ian_sabell » Sat 28.01.2006, 13:07

can you tell us where the pothole is 'cause i need new wishbones too !
maybe we could organise an LEC outing for everyone that needs some and take it in turns :-D
ian_sabell

Postby timmo » Sat 28.01.2006, 13:13

steve , i sued my local council sucessfully for a pot hole damage to a rim.
I wonder how much deeper the ocean would be without sponges.
timmo
God

Re: feckin council, feckin pothole's feck feckity....

Postby John_W » Fri 18.05.2018, 21:25

So,
Today’s photo quiz (easy clue in the rock formation):

Where was I when I hit a humungous pothole which destroyed my front left tyre and bent the wheel rim while doing only 15mph behind a campervan and two lycra-clad cyclists? A clue is in the distinctive rock formation in the background, where my wife and I were intending to do a 3-hour walk which, owing to the pothole, we did not set out on. As a further clue, there was no mobile ‘phone reception and the pothole I hit was among several hundred which I had successfully avoided.

With the PNM rear brakes, I did not have a spare, and the aerosol can of puncture repair was as much use as a can of aerosol cream (in fairness, the pothole had destroyed the sidewall on the inside as well as denting the rim.

This all resulted in a lift from a kind passer-by to the ferry terminal at the bottom of the pass where we did have ‘phone reception, and my first call-out of the recovery service on my ClassicLine insurance (which worked very smoothly). A two-hour wait later in the beautiful sunshine overlooking Uig bay (the recovery truck had been trying to recover a tractor which had flipped on an over-steep slope - driver OK) we were recovered to Portree where they fitted a new tyre and all was well (scallops and dry white wine for dinner).

I need to find a spacesaver spare which will fit over PNM brakes!

John
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
John_W
Heid-bummer

Postby dapinky » Fri 18.05.2018, 21:36

12 years and 4 months this post has been dormant..... has to be a LEC record :D
Dave

Just the one now, but this one's mine! - and it will be finished eventually.....

go on - click this link - you know you want to!
dapinky
LEC Administrator

Location: As far west as you can get in West Wales before you become Irish (Pembroke Dock).

Postby Saltire » Fri 18.05.2018, 21:59

John_W wrote:So,
Today’s photo quiz (easy clue in the rock formation):

Where was I when I hit a humungous pothole which destroyed my front left tyre and bent the wheel rim while doing only 15mph behind a campervan and two lycra-clad cyclists?

I think that’s the Quirang in the background. Either that or the Storr.

John_W wrote: I need to find a spacesaver spare which will fit over PNM brakes!John

Have a look at this post. Somewhere it talks about which model year of Honda has the appropriate wheel.
Jonathan

1995 Elan S2 no 512, BRG/magnolia, last of 4 UK S2 to this spec
2020 Volvo XC40 T4 AWD
Saltire
God

Location: Left foot in Wiltshire, right foot in Gloucestershire, heart in Scotland

Postby John_W » Fri 18.05.2018, 22:00

What’s most amazing is that nobody has hit a pothole in all that time. (Or maybe nobody apart from somebody else from Paisley could understand Stevo’s captioning.)
John_W
Heid-bummer

Next

Return to Wheels and Tyres