ALL ELANS ON GUMTREE / CAR & CLASSIC

Elans for sale in the UK.
Discussion of prices of Elans advertised for sale on LEC is prohibited in open forum, private discussion is perfectly acceptable. A separate area for discussion of prices of Elans not advertised on LEC and market value generally is available in the 'Elan Buying Help section' of the 'For Sale' area.

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, Nige, Elanlover, Sy V, muley, Enright, algirdas, nitroman, GeoffSmith, clemo, Dave Eds, Specky, DaveT

Re: ALL ELANS ON GUMTREE / CAR & CLASSIC

Postby Rambo » Wed 06.10.2021, 20:08

Fredjohn wrote:
Rambo wrote:Was it you or Phil who told me they were colour blind at Silverstone Jim :lol:

Why was he colour blind just at Silverstone and not all the time?

I own up, grammatically incorrect I know. Better phrased as ...was it you or Phil who told me at Silverstone that they were colour blind Jim?

Eats, shoots and leaves :wink:
Rambo
Don't push me

Postby KenCarson » Wed 06.10.2021, 22:06

Looking at the white one in 'Market', if the cambelt was last changed at 77,000 miles that's well over 15 years ago based on the MOT history.
KenCarson

Postby EdwardW » Fri 08.10.2021, 23:07

Thanks for the replies on the purple S2 reg M184 OBM.

I did go to view but passed on buying due to the overall condition.

Not sure if it helps anyone who may be keeping a database of some kind but just in case it was number 085.

I will keep looking and hopefully get an Elan at some point soon.

Thanks again
EdwardW

Postby clemo » Mon 11.10.2021, 18:08

EdwardW wrote:Thanks for the replies on the purple S2 reg M184 OBM.

I did go to view but passed on buying due to the overall condition.

Not sure if it helps anyone who may be keeping a database of some kind but just in case it was number 085.

I will keep looking and hopefully get an Elan at some point soon.

Thanks again

Thank you . Noted
Jim Clark S2 - 1/12. The one with the Yellow spoke wheels . No 613 on dash (pushed in to factory in wrong order 615 on tub)
clemo
LEC Administrator

Postby biffobear » Tue 12.10.2021, 13:31

Reference L123 SPY M100 S2 number 270. Medina Green. As stated earlier, I purchased the car back last May (2021) and despite being a Cat D ( now Cat N) the car is in pretty good shape plus I have a single photo that shows the damage area which was sent to me by Frederick Van Cauwenberghe before I made the decision to look at the car. It just needed going over a couple of times to iron out lack of use niggles, the hood cover being unwilling to let go on one side, and the same for the petrol filler cover and boot lid. Another wheel referb on two N/S wheels, two new matching rear tyres, (now on the front) and new Lotus wheel centres and dust caps. Thanks to members I have a Honda Hybrid alloy 15" space saver that fits now but it has to be deflated to get it in the boot well but bought a 12v pump. Also found out the front brake calipers are Astra H because my MOT man was Vauxhall trained and said the calliper springs are missing. (Now fitted) Rears are PNM mods. and I have to say the braking is pretty good. The car has some good mods with PNM SS exhaust, adjustable suspension on the back. Brakes as mentioned, New Steering rack, alternator (new belts) and headlight motor bushes. The hood is black and not sun faded at all. (It came with a hood cover) The instrument dimmer switch is U/S at a guess as the lights have been wired to come on with the ignition but I'm OK with that. The only thing that is a concern is noisy valve lifters (cam followers in my day) I'm using Castrol Edge 10W-60 and now have a K&N oil filter. I made a short T bar up to fit the required 25mm socket to remove the filter. Hopefully next time it won't take me two hours :lol: The car handles, brakes and accelerates well one you get used to where the power band is on the little rev counter. I still can not make up my mind about that boy racer dump valve. I cringe every time it goes off. I think the dash lay out is a bit crap to be honest, especially that rev counter. I made it to Castle Coombe and talked to a lot of you on here and found out so much without any BS unlike the MG meetings I go to to see former workers who were at Abingdon. Just one last job and that was a the N/S outer driveshaft gaiter replaced last week and both joints re greased. will keep and eye out to see if any meetings this year. Doesn't seem to be much around Oxford Swindon area.
biffobear

Postby tb10 » Tue 12.10.2021, 13:56

biffobear wrote: Also found out the front brake calipers are Astra H because my MOT man was Vauxhall trained and said the calliper springs are missing.

Hi Biffo,

Are you sure they're Astra H? Interesting if they are the same fitment but they're certainly not the same year....? :lol:

Cheers
tb10
God

Postby dapinky » Tue 12.10.2021, 16:26

The entire front callipers are certainly used on the Opel Astra GSi of the correct age...... but the internals are pretty standard 'Vauxhall/Opel' parts .... the seal, boot and piston are used in Cavaliers/Calibras/Astras in various markets. (The GSi Astra is designed for the correct disc thickness, other callipers use a thinner disc, but internals are the same)

(but I'm not sure why there is a reference to a spring for the front callipers......????)
Dave

Just the one now, but this one's mine! - and it will be finished eventually.....

go on - click this link - you know you want to!
dapinky
LEC Administrator

Location: As far west as you can get in West Wales before you become Irish (Pembroke Dock).

Postby tb10 » Tue 12.10.2021, 19:56

Sorry Dave,

The Astra H was produced between 2004 - 2010 so I was just checking if Biffo’s mechanic really meant the parts bin from the Astra H series.

:cheers:

John
tb10
God

Postby dapinky » Tue 12.10.2021, 20:06

John,

you are clearly correct in that it wasn't an Astra H ('cos of age, as you say)...

I can't remember if it was an Astra F or Astra Mk3.... part of the issue being that a 'Series 3' in the UK under Vauxhall, had a different name in Germany under Opel....

Either way, the calliper was used for a 1988 Astra GSi (As sold in Europe under the Opel name, and differing from the UK Vauxhall GTE ... so, a Kadett Series "E" )... I don't know if the Mk 3 Vauxhall used the same part or not in the 1991 2.0 GSi????
Dave

Just the one now, but this one's mine! - and it will be finished eventually.....

go on - click this link - you know you want to!
dapinky
LEC Administrator

Location: As far west as you can get in West Wales before you become Irish (Pembroke Dock).

Postby Rambo » Tue 12.10.2021, 21:38

biffobear wrote:Reference L123 SPY M100 S2 number 270. Medina Green. As stated earlier, I purchased the car back last May (2021) and despite being a Cat D ( now Cat N) the car is in pretty good shape plus I have a single photo that shows the damage area which was sent to me by Frederick Van Cauwenberghe before I made the decision to look at the car. It just needed going over a couple of times to iron out lack of use niggles, the hood cover being unwilling to let go on one side, and the same for the petrol filler cover and boot lid. Another wheel referb on two N/S wheels, two new matching rear tyres, (now on the front) and new Lotus wheel centres and dust caps. Thanks to members I have a Honda Hybrid alloy 15" space saver that fits now but it has to be deflated to get it in the boot well but bought a 12v pump. Also found out the front brake calipers are Astra H because my MOT man was Vauxhall trained and said the calliper springs are missing. (Now fitted) Rears are PNM mods. and I have to say the braking is pretty good. The car has some good mods with PNM SS exhaust, adjustable suspension on the back. Brakes as mentioned, New Steering rack, alternator (new belts) and headlight motor bushes. The hood is black and not sun faded at all. (It came with a hood cover) The instrument dimmer switch is U/S at a guess as the lights have been wired to come on with the ignition but I'm OK with that. The only thing that is a concern is noisy valve lifters (cam followers in my day) I'm using Castrol Edge 10W-60 and now have a K&N oil filter. I made a short T bar up to fit the required 25mm socket to remove the filter. Hopefully next time it won't take me two hours :lol: The car handles, brakes and accelerates well one you get used to where the power band is on the little rev counter. I still can not make up my mind about that boy racer dump valve. I cringe every time it goes off. I think the dash lay out is a bit crap to be honest, especially that rev counter. I made it to Castle Coombe and talked to a lot of you on here and found out so much without any BS unlike the MG meetings I go to to see former workers who were at Abingdon. Just one last job and that was a the N/S outer driveshaft gaiter replaced last week and both joints re greased. will keep and eye out to see if any meetings this year. Doesn't seem to be much around Oxford Swindon area.

Can't work this out :( So, are you selling your car?
Rambo
Don't push me

Postby lotusles » Wed 13.10.2021, 18:21

Rambo wrote:
biffobear wrote:Reference L123 SPY M100 S2 number 270. Medina Green. As stated earlier, I purchased the car back last May (2021) and despite being a Cat D ( now Cat N) the car is in pretty good shape plus I have a single photo that shows the damage area which was sent to me by Frederick Van Cauwenberghe before I made the decision to look at the car. It just needed going over a couple of times to iron out lack of use niggles, the hood cover being unwilling to let go on one side, and the same for the petrol filler cover and boot lid. Another wheel referb on two N/S wheels, two new matching rear tyres, (now on the front) and new Lotus wheel centres and dust caps. Thanks to members I have a Honda Hybrid alloy 15" space saver that fits now but it has to be deflated to get it in the boot well but bought a 12v pump. Also found out the front brake calipers are Astra H because my MOT man was Vauxhall trained and said the calliper springs are missing. (Now fitted) Rears are PNM mods. and I have to say the braking is pretty good. The car has some good mods with PNM SS exhaust, adjustable suspension on the back. Brakes as mentioned, New Steering rack, alternator (new belts) and headlight motor bushes. The hood is black and not sun faded at all. (It came with a hood cover) The instrument dimmer switch is U/S at a guess as the lights have been wired to come on with the ignition but I'm OK with that. The only thing that is a concern is noisy valve lifters (cam followers in my day) I'm using Castrol Edge 10W-60 and now have a K&N oil filter. I made a short T bar up to fit the required 25mm socket to remove the filter. Hopefully next time it won't take me two hours :lol: The car handles, brakes and accelerates well one you get used to where the power band is on the little rev counter. I still can not make up my mind about that boy racer dump valve. I cringe every time it goes off. I think the dash lay out is a bit crap to be honest, especially that rev counter. I made it to Castle Coombe and talked to a lot of you on here and found out so much without any BS unlike the MG meetings I go to to see former workers who were at Abingdon. Just one last job and that was a the N/S outer driveshaft gaiter replaced last week and both joints re greased. will keep and eye out to see if any meetings this year. Doesn't seem to be much around Oxford Swindon area.

Can't work this out :( So, are you selling your car?

"Reference L123 SPY M100 S2 number 270. Medina Green. As stated earlier, I purchased the car back last May (2021) and despite being a Cat D ( now Cat N)"
This is not correct, a cat D was where repair costs were less than the PAV Pre Accident Value and could have had structural damage (new cat S), Cat N is non structural damage and has nothing to do with cost of repair against PAV
lotusles
Enthusiast

Postby Bluecat » Wed 03.11.2021, 22:04

Hi just joined the forum and looking for an Elan s2. Missed out on Simons S2 on eBay, looking at the one on Car and Classic M100OUT, does anyone know anything about this car, seems to have had a lot of owners and a few previous number plates too
Bluecat

Very Rare Lotus Elan M200 on Gumtree

Postby Freelander49 » Thu 18.11.2021, 19:02

LOTUS ELAN M200. OFFERS OVER £7000.00 INVITED
Reads as quite a bit of work needed.
https://www.gumtree.com/p/cars-vans-mot ... m_campaign
Freelander49

Postby Rambo » Thu 18.11.2021, 20:04

This car has been doing the rounds. I remember it from a few months ago as it had no window seals

And I remember that "Jamie the Seal" commenting on the pop riveted rear screen :lol:

It ain't no M200 :lol:
Rambo
Don't push me

Postby Rambo » Thu 18.11.2021, 20:11

Rambo
Don't push me

Postby EricD » Wed 24.11.2021, 02:06

Hello everyone,

I've just joined the group. I've been considering an M100 (preferably an S2) for a while now and am seriously thinking of bidding for this one in the upcoming auction on 14th Dec at Sandown...

https://www.barons-auctions.com/view-lo ... ed-edition

S2 number 418 vrm M460DLY

I'm no mechanic so if I get myself an Elan I'll be looking to make use of the facilities on this group! That starts with this request. So, firstly, is there anyone out there who knows this car and it's history, or can see anything in the detail I should be wary of? Secondly, does anyone know of an enthusiast or mechanic local(ish) to Sandown who knows his Elans who'd be willing and able to give it the once over on the viewing day (Monday 13th)?

Any help much appreciated.

EricD
EricD
Welcome to LEC - please introduce yourself

Postby clemo » Wed 24.11.2021, 22:13

EricD wrote:Hello everyone,

I've just joined the group. I've been considering an M100 (preferably an S2) for a while now and am seriously thinking of bidding for this one in the upcoming auction on 14th Dec at Sandown...

https://www.barons-auctions.com/view-lo ... ed-edition

S2 number 418 vrm M460DLY

I'm no mechanic so if I get myself an Elan I'll be looking to make use of the facilities on this group! That starts with this request. So, firstly, is there anyone out there who knows this car and it's history, or can see anything in the detail I should be wary of? Secondly, does anyone know of an enthusiast or mechanic local(ish) to Sandown who knows his Elans who'd be willing and able to give it the once over on the viewing day (Monday 13th)?

Any help much appreciated.

EricD

HI ERIC ,
Welcome to lotus elan central ,
This looks like a very nice example but as you have highlighted its alway good to get a knowledgable eye over it . Hopefully someone local will make themselves known .
Jim Clark S2 - 1/12. The one with the Yellow spoke wheels . No 613 on dash (pushed in to factory in wrong order 615 on tub)
clemo
LEC Administrator

Postby tb10 » Wed 24.11.2021, 23:29

This was Phil’s old car and he sold it to someone up North who did have the paint done and added the S2 wheels but who then tried to flip it for £14k (and didn’t!). Someone did buy it from this seller but there were some issues that Phil’s purchaser never sorted out.

See more here: viewtopic.php?f=49&t=4973&p=364889#p364889

Hope this helps?

Cheers

John
tb10
God

Postby FunElan » Thu 25.11.2021, 02:18

That is a beautiful car!
FunElan
Tinkerer

Previous