portable two post lift

Discuss items to help maintain, repair, beautify, or use on your beloved Elan here

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, Nige, Elanlover, Sy V, muley, Enright, algirdas, nitroman, GeoffSmith, clemo, Dave Eds, Specky, DaveT

portable two post lift

Postby DavidEJM » Tue 23.03.2010, 20:21

Any of our american cousins seen or used one of these two post lifts?

http://www.maxjaxusa.com/

I really would lke one but I've not had a reply from my enquiry yet.

I wonder if a group buy would persuade them to ship to the UK. Of course the VAT in the UK may put us off.

I did read some comment that they are made in China........I wonder if it would be cheaper to ship straight to the UK.

If this is impossible does anyone know of something similar that we can get in the UK for a reasonable price.
Oooooh shiney!
DavidEJM
Fanatic

Re: portable two post lift

Postby MPx » Tue 23.03.2010, 22:04

Dont know anything about the two post lift and couldn't see a price on the site to see what you're expecting to pay.

FWIW as an alternative, a couple of years ago I went for a four post lift from InternBV.
http://www.internbv.nl/208%20engels.htm
At the time I got it through a group buy on Pistonheads for an all in price of £1550 delivered. The website suggests much more now, but if a few people want them, there may be a deal to be done. The guy in charge is called Fred and he speaks good english - well worth a haggle. It includes some clever casters which allow me to move the lift anywhere I want around the barn - either to get it out of the way, or to use it in different places (very handy when I put the ceiling up!).

Its really fantastic to have such a thing when working on the car. Even stuff like doing the brakes which you could do anywhere is so much easier at waist height. I'd certainly endorse getting something similar if you have the space. Mike.
Mike - MPx
95 M100 Elan S2 (423)
86 Turbo Esprit
but no longer Carlton no 808 nor Sunbeam S1 :(
MPx
Fanatic

Postby DavidEJM » Tue 23.03.2010, 23:46

That does look good Mike.

I am lucky in that I have a double garage, but the Elan shares the space with a motorbike, a 1/2 scale jeep for the kids, lots of tools (table saw, pillar drill, lots of bench tools etc and things like spare parts) and I'd like to get another car in overnight (though it doesn't fit at present).

I've been looking at various lifts as the Elan is a lot lower than my last project and my knees hurt if I'm working under a car for any time. The semi-professional lifts just seem to be too wide and, being permanent, would mean that I couldn't get a second car in the garage. There is also a height restriction, so the lifts that have a 'rod' lifting out of the top of a 3 metre post as the lift operates would go through the garage roof!

The cost of the MaxJax in America is $2,000. So I suspect that in the usual way, the exchange rate will end up non-existant and it would cost about £2,000.

I have been talking to the distributor in the US and apparently there is a European distributor being organised now, based in the Netherlands. If I get any other details I'll post them here if anyone is interested.

David
Oooooh shiney!
DavidEJM
Fanatic

Postby BFG in the BRG » Sat 27.03.2010, 20:40

I always reckoned life would be so much easier with a car lift - I look at professional mechanics with envy.
I saw this a while ago Holden.co.uk but never progressed due to lack of finances.......and a compressor - but I'll get something one one day.
I'll keep an eye on this one. :lol:
Alas soon to be Elan-less
I keep telling myself it is for the best
BFG in the BRG
Fanatic

Postby MPx » Sat 27.03.2010, 22:19

All these tools can be good in the right circumstances....but you need to think about what you expect to be able to access. Lifting a car up is handy for all sorts of jobs, but if you want to get underneath you really need to find a solution that doesn't have all sorts of engineering in your way. Most of the smaller scissor and similar hydraulic lifts have cross members and rams effectively preventing access. JM2PW ...
Mike - MPx
95 M100 Elan S2 (423)
86 Turbo Esprit
but no longer Carlton no 808 nor Sunbeam S1 :(
MPx
Fanatic

Postby mert1984 » Mon 23.05.2016, 08:25

The Maxjax is available now in the UK and Europe from Maxjax UK, sales@maxjax.com. Portable, stacks away , easy to assemble and use. The Maxjax, imported from from Dannmar (a Bendpak affilated company) and comes with 2 years parts warranty.
mert1984
Welcome to LEC - please introduce yourself

Return to Tools