Grip-Tite & Chicago Brand - for Rounded Nuts/Heads

Discuss items to help maintain, repair, beautify, or use on your beloved Elan here

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, Nige, Elanlover, Sy V, muley, Enright, algirdas, nitroman, GeoffSmith, clemo, Dave Eds, Specky, DaveT

Grip-Tite & Chicago Brand - for Rounded Nuts/Heads

Postby Jeemy » Sat 08.02.2014, 18:59

In my ongoing struggle, I found a company called Grip-Tite who make rounded-bolt removal sockets with individually adjusting cams inside - something I've not seen before. I've tried the Irwin Bolt-Grip sockets and you really need good access and a lot of bolt head. So those are on their way.

Their UK distributor is chicagobrand.co.uk who have all kinds of very useful tools I've not seen before, including their own brand open end ratchet spanners. All lifetime guaranteed. I ordered two of those as well. It appears they have a variable grip so they sell a 12-13mm, and a 13-14mm, either of which could cover your 13mm bolt. I'm struggling with some 13mm bolts which are rounding so am very hopeful with this.

I will report back once they get a test.
T: 0800 084 3084
M: 07391 295 146
Jeemy
God

Re: Grip-Tite & Chicago Brand - for Rounded Nuts/Heads

Postby novacaine » Sat 08.02.2014, 19:50

they look pretty good, not overly priced either. Looks like they would come in handy for taking the arch liners off

1994 Lotus Elan S2 #170 (Steel Blue)
novacaine
Fanatic

Postby Jeemy » Wed 12.02.2014, 18:26

Received the grip-tite sockets and they are fantastic. They need paired with a good 3/8" ratchet, I found an extendable one from Stanley, but compared to the Irwin bolt-grips, they really do grip properly and lock in tighter the more torque thats applied.

Not perfect in tight spaces because when you only have a few degrees to move them, they can't build up the grip. I've spent a long time today playing about with ways to grip them on first with a strap wrench and hold them there while you work. But if you have access they are the best thing I have seen so far - I've already snapped the heads off 3 bolts, which is better than having to drill them out!

The ratchet spanners are not long enough or strong enough to do the same job. They need a pretty good head to grip to, what they are better for is when there is only a few degrees of movement - they need half the travel of most similar things to be able to work.

If I was buying ratchet spanners for the first time, I'd buy these, but apart from the reduced working travel they don't offer much advantage over anything else - the travel alone has been enough to convince me these would be a better first choice than the Beta ones which were the set I went with - although the Betas are an enclosed 12-point, they are less susceptible to rounding than less well-made tools, the Grip-Tites would still be better I think and make things like removing the manifold from the engine block much simpler.
Jeemy
God

Postby GeoffSmith » Wed 12.02.2014, 18:58

There are quite a few bad reviews about the plastic internals falling apart when any sort of torque is applied.
Calypso Red S2 #417

USB ElanScan interfaces - £60 incl. UK P&P & £65 incl. ROW P&P
GeoffSmith
Kitty Fiddler

Postby Brit-Car-Nut » Wed 12.02.2014, 19:27

Not a small investment, but the best tool I found/use for broken bolts or studs is a collet based system that has collets for threaded fasteners and non-threaded collets for bolt shanks.

For more details search Google with "collet style stud remover"

You can buy a housing and then just the individual collets you require. The threaded collets are great for studs you don't want to damage but the non-threaded collets will pull any stud or broken bolts by gripping on to the remaining section and they will destroy the threads they grip onto.

They work great for pulling head studs that usually fight when you try to remove them and I just pulled a set of studs from a Ford 9N tractor that had the studs loctited in 35 years ago. No marks on the shanks and the threads are not stretched.
coll.jpg
Please contact me via eMail, not by PM
Brit-Car-Nut
God

Postby Jeemy » Wed 12.02.2014, 19:50

There are quite a few bad reviews about a lot of things. Often those reviewing them, aren't using them properly, but thats immaterial here.

I can tell you I've tried everything I know of on the market on these raft bolts, and these are the only things that worked. Not only that, they were strong enough to eventually break seized bolts when everything else just slipped and rounded. Obviously I'd prefer they started to thread out, but that seems impossible here - I can see the bolt heads I am still working on, now bending away without ever turning, so I am fairly committed to cutting off the captive nuts at this stage.

I've applied every ounce of strength I had to this job and the sockets themselves have been fine; much better than several other products I have used.

As far as I read it if they are used properly the plastic internals do not bear on the torque applied. All they do is locate the cams, torque causes the cams to press against the shaped fittings and compress the hold metal-to-metal. If they were used at an improper angle, they'd be as susceptible as anything else to failure I am sure. I can see the cams popping out from the plastic retainers, but only if pressure was applied inequally.

I have some smaller stud removers and they are fantastic; I've not been able to find anything large enough to deal with these 13mm bolt heads unfortunately. There is a snap-on franchisee round the corner from me, I will try to bump into him.
Jeemy
God

Return to Tools