Most useful tools?

Discuss items to help maintain, repair, beautify, or use on your beloved Elan here

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, Nige, Elanlover, Sy V, muley, Enright, algirdas, nitroman, GeoffSmith, clemo, Dave Eds, Specky, DaveT

Most useful tools?

Postby Tuga2112 » Sun 30.11.2014, 21:16

Hello,

I was hopping to build up this post with the shared knowledge of the group on the tool which are most used when we are working on the elans.

now my experience in the elan is probably slightly different than other owners as mine is in a "kind of Restoration" process.

Personally the most useful tools i have encountered so far are.

Socket set. (usually i need number 10 and 13, however bleeding brakes requires 8)
Spanners (usually used when sockets cant reach someplace)
philips screw drivers. (2 different sizes seemed enough)

because of the rust problems i encounter usually.
Dremel with cutting discs + flat head screw driver
Vice grip
lubricant oil, (i use wd40 however that is not the ideal lubricant, i will try acetone + auto gearbox fluid when i get a chance to prepare a dispenser for it)
drill with HHS drill bits (left handed can be extra useful)
angle grinder (kind of pointless if you have a Dremel and patience)

jack and axles or alternatively ramps are also useful, however take note that even tho ramps will make you feel safer, there are some advantages to jack, (eg changing oil filter)
and whatever is the socket size you need to remove the wheels, unfortunately i have lost mine somehow so i use the one in the toolbox :(

Now, this is my list of most useful tools, can you guys please top up with other tools that are useful and somehow quantify (1 to 5) "how useful" they are, by that im asking, how often they come to use and in which scenarios?
1991 elan se
1991 elan se project
91 MR2 Turbo (import) project
94 Celica GT4 (Import)
94 4Runner
98 Celica SR

too many projects. not enough sunny days :(
Tuga2112
God

Re: Most usefull tools?

Postby HJ2 » Sun 30.11.2014, 21:42

Let me start with the last tool... I hope you don't use this without a jackstand to secure the car. NEVER trust on only one device when it comes to safety, especially not the supplied Jack! Trust me, you'll live longer.

For the rest: I could not do without my adjustable set of ratches anymore:
http://susn.en.alibaba.com/product/6103 ... rench.html

and the ring-ratch set comes in handy as well.
After a few years of Elan tinkering my garage is filling up with tools, last purchase was a 20 tons floor mounted press for pressing the bearings :drunk:
If you always do what you always did, you always get what you always got
HJ2
Wodan - God of the Low Lands

Postby Tuga2112 » Sun 30.11.2014, 22:10

HJ2 wrote:Let me start with the last tool... I hope you don't use this without a jackstand to secure the car. NEVER trust on only one device when it comes to safety, especially not the supplied Jack! Trust me, you'll live longer.

After a few years of Elan tinkering my garage is filling up with tools, last purchase was a 20 tons floor mounted press for pressing the bearings :drunk:

when i refered to axle i meant jackstand, (thats my english playing tricks on me)
when i refered to a socket set i assumed that all socket sets have a ratchet included like this one, unless you mean that the particular type of ratchet (with quick release and multiple angle head) is considerably better than the standard one?
1991 elan se
1991 elan se project
94 Celica GT4 (Import)
94 4Runner
98 Celica SR

Tuga2112
God

Postby novacaine » Sun 30.11.2014, 23:25

A set of ratchet ring spanners come in handy for a lot Elan based jobs

1994 Lotus Elan S2 #170 (Steel Blue)
novacaine
Fanatic

Postby dapinky » Mon 01.12.2014, 01:27

As well as the previously listed:-

Allen keys ('cos I've replaced a lot of bolts with socket-head ones)

Small hammer

BIG hammer

Impact wrench
Dave

Just the one now, but this one's mine! - and it will be finished eventually.....

go on - click this link - you know you want to!
dapinky
LEC Administrator

Location: As far west as you can get in West Wales before you become Irish (Pembroke Dock).

Postby Simon_P » Mon 01.12.2014, 02:41

Other than sets of normal tools these are the best value for money! buy or make

A Magnet on the end of a stick (aerial thingy)
1/4 drive 14mm socket
1/2 drive 14 mm socket Plain hex
an extended 12mm ring spanner
A specially made bar for locking the crank pulley against the ground.... instead of bending the crank / Gearbox
An 8mm allen key for cutting bits off and using in a spanner for undoing the O/S engine mount screws
A flexible 1/4 extension
A 1/4 universal joint

A rear brake piston retracting tool - why did I ever try doing it without :roll:
A Halfords 1/4 drive socket set complete range MM and AF utterly used and abused - they usually have them for £10 so if they have stuffed the price up to £20 wait for the ... "Sale" Easily the best value for money
Simon_P
God

Postby Jeemy » Tue 02.12.2014, 12:27

Can't forget a rubber hockey puck with a hole drilled through the centre, plus some undrilled for general use.
T: 0800 084 3084
M: 07391 295 146
Jeemy
God

Postby Tuga2112 » Tue 02.12.2014, 18:11

Jeemy wrote:Can't forget a rubber hockey puck with a hole drilled through the centre, plus some undrilled for general use.

Based on the assumption that you are serious. Where is that usefull?
1991 elan se
1991 elan se project
94 Celica GT4 (Import)
94 4Runner
98 Celica SR

Tuga2112
God

Postby Megwenda » Tue 02.12.2014, 18:32

Supporting the jacking point... for instance THIS post
Megwenda
Enthusiast

Postby Jeemy » Wed 03.12.2014, 13:24

Indeed, although its 50/50 in some people's minds when the pin itself is the jacking point, but I drill the hole just shy of the pin diameter and feel its more sturdy.

Moreover, given that most axle stands are shaped for, well, axles, when supporting a flat piece I'll use a hockey puck to spread the load.

If you need to get just an extra 1-2 inches when jacking with a big floor jack, they can go in the cup or just for the same reason.

I virtually never jack anything without a hockey puck!
T: 0800 084 3084
M: 07391 295 146
Jeemy
God

Postby muley » Wed 03.12.2014, 13:31

Piece of 50mm x 25mm wood 67 cm. long..

..for 'billy no mates' brake bleeding. Wood fits between brake pedal and steering wheel after last down stroke.

Jiml
LEC Turbo Nutter
1995 Palacio S2 no 507 : 1991 Aqua Blue SE Honda Jazz 1.3
muley

Postby Tuga2112 » Wed 03.12.2014, 20:54

Jeemy wrote:Indeed, although its 50/50 in some people's minds when the pin itself is the jacking point, but I drill the hole just shy of the pin diameter and feel its more sturdy.

Moreover, given that most axle stands are shaped for, well, axles, when supporting a flat piece I'll use a hockey puck to spread the load.

If you need to get just an extra 1-2 inches when jacking with a big floor jack, they can go in the cup or just for the same reason.

I virtually never jack anything without a hockey puck!

initially i though you were joking but after knowing the reason you refered the hockey puck i can see why its so helpfull. i will eventually get a couple, i previously have wondered about getting something made of rubber for the same use but a hockey puck never crossed my mind. :)

already learnt a couple of usefull things from this post, it was definatly worth asking for other people's experiences.
1991 elan se
1991 elan se project
94 Celica GT4 (Import)
94 4Runner
98 Celica SR

Tuga2112
God

Postby HJ2 » Thu 04.12.2014, 09:39

Tuga2112 wrote:
HJ2 wrote:Let me start with the last tool... I hope you don't use this without a jackstand to secure the car. NEVER trust on only one device when it comes to safety, especially not the supplied Jack! Trust me, you'll live longer.

when i refered to axle i meant jackstand, (thats my english playing tricks on me)
when i refered to a socket set i assumed that all socket sets have a ratchet included like this one, unless you mean that the particular type of ratchet (with quick release and multiple angle head) is considerably better than the standard one?

The hinged ratchet head let's you reach parts otherwise inaccessible. With the extendable handle you can apply some extra force where needed to undo a rusty bolt. So both features make them so much more handy for Elan tinkering :-D
If you always do what you always did, you always get what you always got
HJ2
Wodan - God of the Low Lands

Return to Tools