Rotating Ratchet

Discuss items to help maintain, repair, beautify, or use on your beloved Elan here

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, Nige, Elanlover, Sy V, muley, Enright, algirdas, nitroman, GeoffSmith, clemo, Dave Eds, Specky, DaveT

Rotating Ratchet

Postby algirdas » Wed 30.08.2006, 06:33

Dear All:

As I have started doing more and more routine maintenance on my car, I am beginning to get a first hand understanding of how tight everything is under the hood and elsewhere. In other words, I feel your pain. It is now my pain.

The other day I ran across a device called a "rotating ratchet". It works like a regular 3/8ths drive ratchet until you get into a tight spot. If you do not have enough room to swing the ratchet handle, then all you have to do is twist it and the ratchet drive will continue to turn. It does not matter which way you turn the handle, if the ratchet head is set to tighten, the drive will continue to tighten regardless of which way you twist the handle. If the ratchet is set to loosen, then twisting the handle in either direction will continue to loosen the nut or bolt.

As a regular ratchet, it has a 6 degree minimum for the handle to move and engage the ratchet (in other words, a 60 tooth ratchet drive mechanism).

It comes with a padded handle that is easy to grasp and grip. The only drawback that I have encountered so far is that the ratchet head is a bit thicker than a regular ratchet head.

Mine was marketed and sold under the "Stanley" brand label. It is my understanding that similar ratchets are being marketed under the "Husky" brand label. Keep your eyes peeled because I think other labels will begin offering these bad boys as well.

The ratchet cost $24 at Wal-Mart.

If anyone wants to see pictures of it or want more information, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Sincerely,

Algirdas
Noli illegitemi carborundum.
algirdas

Postby F1 LOTUS » Wed 30.08.2006, 08:38

Sounds like a 'must have' 8)
F1 LOTUS
God

Postby Ekapol » Tue 18.09.2007, 20:41

Latest additions. Not the same as yours, but another type of rotating ratchet ;-)

3/8"

1/4"
"Do or do not.... there is no try."

“Named must your fear be before banish it you can.” -- Yoda
Ekapol
God

Rotating Ratchet

Postby algirdas » Tue 18.09.2007, 20:52

Dear Ekapol:

Those Snap-on units are on my tool wish list.

That Stanley unit I wrote about previously has one significant drawback-the ratchet head is pretty thick/tall so it is tough getting it into really tight places. It works best where you can get in the ratchet but can't swing the handle due to space limitations.

Sincerely,

Algirdas
Noli illegitemi carborundum.
algirdas

Re: Rotating Ratchet

Postby Ekapol » Tue 18.09.2007, 22:02

algirdas wrote: it is tough getting it into really tight places.

I agree, Algirdas.

Recently I tried to get myself all kinds of socket extensions/adapters I can find as my -not a lot- budget allows.
Never imagine I would need to go out and buy a set of prybar, until recently :smt083

Still have quite a list of tools I need to purchase but I'll let that priority slipping out more like a life time quest.
Until I really need it what I don't have in my toolbox then I go ... :smt017 :smt004

Cheers,
"Do or do not.... there is no try."

“Named must your fear be before banish it you can.” -- Yoda
Ekapol
God

Re: Rotating Ratchet

Postby rip » Wed 09.06.2010, 22:30

A must have for changing the coolant. That jubilee clip on the bottom rad hose is an awkward bugger.
With one of these it becomes a 30 minute job, including packing the tools away!
1990 SE
rip
God

Return to Tools