HJ2's new project… ready for MOT!!!!

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, Nige, Elanlover, Sy V, muley, Enright, algirdas, nitroman, GeoffSmith, clemo, Dave Eds, Specky, DaveT

Re: HJ2's new project (february update)

Postby HJ2 » Wed 10.03.2021, 10:41

GeoffSmith wrote:Bloody hell - did you get those pads to match your shoes? :shock: :lol:

Nope, they are snake foreskin leather Geoff! (not much stopping power there) :mrgreen:
I've still got the shoes by the way! I should buy a Kawasaki to match, hahaha!
If you always do what you always did, you always get what you always got
HJ2
Wodan - God of the Low Lands

Re: HJ2's new project (april update)

Postby HJ2 » Thu 22.04.2021, 18:18

Time to post some progress again :smt039

First, let's get those pesky squeaky fans out!
I read a lot that the job should be easy from below. I must admit i had the nuts off in no time, but getting the fan over the studs so one is able to lower them...
Supposed to be easy, but for me it is only possible when i lower the rad support frame! Is this due to the fact that mine's RHD? There is just no clearance to slide it over the 4 studs, only the 2 upper or the 2 lower... Whatever, they are out finally and can be replaced now!
Here' the old one:

Then it was time to clean the engine bay a little. Just cleaning, no detailing, but the result is way better then how i found the car initially:

Whilst cleaning the edges around the parafan I noticed that a piece of sealant gave away. This is not how you keep your M100 water tight, so this definitely needed replacement with a dot of Sikaflex. Everything is now water tight again 8)

The black blob is cleaned off by the way...

After all those years of driving-fun, the hood webbing lost all ability to stretch and it fell apart when you pulled it. As a result the hoops of the hood were no longer in the correct position and were most likely to end up on your head whilst driving... Time for replacement!
I will try to describe how i did it (which is not necessarily the correct way!)

So I started off by removing the plastic header rail from the frame by removing both clamps and 3 bolts in the middle.
Then I cut away all the old webbing.
With a scalpel I made cuts in the Velcro on the hoops, so i could remove the piece that is over the webbing + 1 cm extra on both sides.
Then i drilled out all the rivets and straightened the steel fixture that holds the webbing to the frame.
That was easy, wasn't it?

Now for the fun part:

I started re-attachment from the rear. Since i did not have a lot of space on the back of the frame, i decided to place the fixture on the front then, so I drilled some holes for the rivets first.
I wrapped the webbing around the frame, with a bit of overlap

Ready to attach:

Loop around the frame

Rivets back:

Put the hoops in position in order to get the correct tension / length:

If you grap the webbing where it meets the second hoop from the back, and position (stretch) it to the header rail, you should end up with the correct tension.
I made a loop around the steel fixture
I stretched it just for the picture:

Then I made a loop in the correct position and clamped it so it would not slip.

Make holes in the webbing, and place the fixture + rivets

Tension and clamp webbing to the hoop so you have some tension-free slack to work with:

Rivet in position and loop the webbing over the 2 separate hoops:

Again, I used the tension equally to stretching the webbing the distance from one hoop to the other:

Rivet the other 2 fixtures in position again, and replace the pieces of Velcro to protect the roof from the sharp edges of the rivets. Job done!

Now repeat on the other side :-) :cheers:
HJ2

Postby Peter D » Fri 23.04.2021, 12:52

The next owner is spoiled with all these fixes!
Looks like the car will be ready just in time to start enjoying the spring :wink:

It's time to :gathering: spread the word, a very well reconditioned Elan M100 is about to enter the LHD market.
Let's give the LEC community the 'scoop', before we start advertising on the pre-owned/used cars media channels.

As long as the car is in the Netherlands, with Henk-Jan, he's your man to contact regarding details.
It's a Belgian registered car, so for the Netherlands there is some paperwork needed to import.

HJ2 will keep this topic up-to-date with latest repairs/fixes and vehicle location.
Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary… that’s what gets you.
Peter D
Enthusiast

Postby TorqueHorse » Fri 23.04.2021, 14:25

:clap: Awesome progress! Will be a real treat for the next owner :)
'90 FED M100 -mid resto
Chassis Exterior FrSus RrSus Engine Trans Wheels Steering Brakes Cooling Fuel Ventilation Exhaust Interior
TorqueHorse
Fanatic

Postby HJ2 » Fri 23.04.2021, 20:59

Another quick fix: New Battery 8)

Are you always fighting to get to the battery fixture?
Put the correct socket in from behind (as per picture above !) and push it over the bolt.
Then take the ratch with a proper extension and stick the extension in the socket.
(The socket does not fit between the battery and the cover for the hood :evil:

So.
The webbing is now replaced and works like a charm!
I also found out that the steel tensioner / straightener wire was loose on the front!
I could not find a decent picture on how to fix it, so i managed to fiddle in a tiny nut with sharp pointed and angled pliers and then was able to screw in a bolt.
The loop in the wire must be in good condition for this, but for me it worked like a charm:

Oh! I had to drill out the rivet first, and there is very (very!) little clearance in depth before you drill a hole in the canvas of the roof :shock:
Take your time, use an extra short drill bit of good quality and grind the cutting edge of the drill-bit in a 90 deg. angle as seen from the surface you are drilling in. This way the drill but is not pulled in by the rotating motion when you reach the end of the hole. Same goes for drilling in plastic like perspex etc. Top tip! (i'll take a picture tomorrow, promised)

Onto the next job!
HJ2

Postby Elanlover » Sat 24.04.2021, 15:10

Out of curiosity, what kind of webbing did you use? Specifically, how elastic was it? I seem to recall that when LGM did replaced her's she used webbing that was either not very or not at all elastic and she liked the result better than with a material who's elasticity would have been the same as the original.
I do whatever my Rice Crispies tell me to do
Elanlover

Postby HJ2 » Sat 24.04.2021, 16:38

I ordered at the first hit in google.
Elasticity seems the same as the OEM :D
HJ2

Postby Steve A » Sun 25.04.2021, 09:17

As always, a great write up :clap: :bowdown:
"If everything is under control, you are going too slow."
Steve A
God

Postby HJ2 » Fri 30.04.2021, 19:51

As promised, the drill bit for plastic, after grinding a 90 deg. angle on the cutting edge:

For the rest... waiting for parts to finally finish the steal blue beauty!
HJ2

Re: HJ2's new project (may update)

Postby HJ2 » Fri 14.05.2021, 18:36

Here's another update, just for you!

First job on the list is a little one, but annoying.
The cavity for the filler cap was always wet, as the drain tube was blocked.
WD40, toothpick, bowden cable and other various picking tools later... no result!
Then after a quick read on LEC (where else...) Mission accomplished! The full 8 bar was needed however...

Then it was time to replace the fans for the steel blue as well
Here is the result on my own red one: viewtopic.php?f=37&t=20423&p=366780#p366780

Shiny new fans!

No place for removing the old fan, let alone fitting an OEM one back! Nope, the radiator support needs to go.
Remember to support the radiator and the A/C condenser (blue belt)

Here is the prepared (trimmed) fan. It is still a tight fit! :shock:

Just enough clearance:

Presto!

I believe I am now at 98% finished with the steel blue! :lol: :clap:
HJ2

Re: HJ2's new project (may update)

Postby HJ2 » Sun 16.05.2021, 13:32

Almost time to set the base timing :burnout:
I'd rather do that with ignition parts that i trust, so it was time to replace the HT leads with fresh ones
Out with the old ones first:

Looks empty!

In with the good ones. I always fight with the routing as you can see:

But in the end I always get there.

and the same goes for the coil packs, that were replaced for a set that was proven to work flawless!
Here's the old set:

A set of good replacement coils:

Whilst in there, it is also good practice to unplug the base plate and treat the connectors with contact cleaner. Also make sure that the bolts of the base plate are tight, so they provide good quality ground. Also treat the 2 big connectors just before the expansion tank the same way (contact cleaner) I also use it on the HT lead connections.

Put everything back in position and admire your handywork :-D
Then start the engine and let it warm up, in order to set the base timing. You can now admire the new fans operating as well, and thus know that the fan switch works as it should. Just follow the procedure in the LEC Wiki... another Job done!

Before I set the base timing i also did a compression test on a hand-warm engine (i know, i should have done it on a warmer engine, but it gives good info anyway!)

The results are not bad for an engine that did not run for 9 years 8)
No 1: 165
No 2: 155
No 3: 165
No 4: 165
:clap:
Next job on the list: Provisional MOT!
HJ2

Re: HJ2's new project… ready for MOT!!!!

Postby HJ2 » Sun 16.05.2021, 21:51

I just did a checklist for the MOT myself, A light pad on the city light and it came back to life. That's all i could discover for now.
I know hat my friends in the MOT garage do a better job then me, but for now... I'm ready!

HJ2

Previous

Return to Projects - Car (Major)