S2 Wheels Please

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, Nige, Elanlover, Sy V, muley, Enright, algirdas, nitroman, GeoffSmith, clemo, Dave Eds, Specky, DaveT

S2 Wheels Please

Postby JulesBS2 » Wed 05.10.2022, 20:24

OK nobody laugh but looking for a set of S2 wheels for my S2. Condition not important other then need to be unbuckled and not cracked. The previous owner has done the Rover swap but not a fan.
Thanks

Jules
JulesBS2

Re: S2 Wheels Please

Postby steve matthews » Wed 05.10.2022, 21:32

JulesBS2 wrote: S2 wheels for my S2.

Jules I have a set but unfortunately they are in the USA.
Steve
steve matthews
God

Postby Rambo » Wed 05.10.2022, 21:51

I've a couple of set's too if you've got £2000 per set :lol:
Rambo
Don't push me

Postby HJ2 » Thu 06.10.2022, 07:39

For 2k I’m willing to part from a set as well! 8)
If you always do what you always did, you always get what you always got
HJ2
Wodan - God of the Low Lands

Postby muley » Thu 06.10.2022, 08:42

..at those sorts of prices, you could probably get replicas made.

Just saying
LEC Turbo Nutter
1995 Palacio S2 no 507 : 1991 Aqua Blue SE Honda Jazz 1.3
muley

Postby dapinky » Thu 06.10.2022, 09:38

Jules,

Whilst those saying £2K may sound like they are having a jape at your expense, the actuality is that the wheels are NLA, and as with anything, scarcity determines value.....

.... but value is a fickle thing in itself.

When Lotus still had the wheels in stock they were listed at something like £200 each - and no-one wanted them....... so they decided that they were taking up space in a warehouse and offloaded them (IIRC there were 20 sets??) to LEC members for just under £100 each - still boxed, with centre caps, bolts etc. At that time, quite a few SE owners decided to fit the 16" S2 wheels, some S2 owners fitted new ones to replace older ones etc etc.

Within a year or so it became obvious that if an S2 hit a kerb, the options were limited.... so prices started to creep up in the S/H market, until it got to a stage where they were advertised in excess of £2K a set.

Now, whether they actually sold at that price is a matter of speculation, but folklore is such that it became accepted wisdom that they are worth £2k a set.

Now, that created another issue - a poor condition S2 with original wheels may have been worth £5K at that time - but a poor S2 with nice(ish) aftermarket wheels was still worth £4.5K..... so a fair few got removed and sold when a car changed hands.....

...... and that, naturally, progressed to some people "asset stripping" a car to sell parts but stay on the road with aftermarket wheels.

Personally, I like the S2 wheels, but I wouldn't pay £2K for a set.

The thing to remember is that they have a very uncommon offset - so a variety of (mainly Vauxhall) wheels will fit, and some look really good (I had 17" Corsa D Limited Edition wheels on mine for a bit) - but they won't have the "correct" offset and the handling will be negatively affected......... will you notice the difference? - I doubt it! (if you are racing it, then yes, but not for road use).

Personally, I'd find some aftermarket ones you can live with, and then hope to stumble across a set of OE wheels when the owners realise that they ain't worth a fortune, and sell them for a fair price.
Dave

Just the one now, but this one's mine! - and it will be finished eventually.....

go on - click this link - you know you want to!
dapinky
LEC Administrator

Location: As far west as you can get in West Wales before you become Irish (Pembroke Dock).

Postby Graaf » Thu 06.10.2022, 17:12

I’m not sure about not noticing the difference in handling.

My SE had 17” et40 wheels. I was never fully happy with the handling. I have now changed to original 15” wheels and it has transformed the handling. I don’t use the car on track.
Graaf
Enthusiast

Postby dapinky » Thu 06.10.2022, 18:10

Graaf wrote:I’m not sure about not noticing the difference in handling.

My SE had 17” et40 wheels. I was never fully happy with the handling. I have now changed to original 15” wheels and it has transformed the handling. I don’t use the car on track.

You are correct, really - but I was more comparing the Vauxhall wheels with the Rover wheels currently in use.....

.... certainly I found that the ride comfort was far better with the OE wheels than with the 17" wheels (but that was more down to the tyre sidewall size than the offset).
Dave

Just the one now, but this one's mine! - and it will be finished eventually.....

go on - click this link - you know you want to!
dapinky
LEC Administrator

Location: As far west as you can get in West Wales before you become Irish (Pembroke Dock).

Postby JulesBS2 » Tue 11.10.2022, 19:37

So Very serious about locating a set of wheels. I know they will not be cheap. The car is standard has a massive history and I just want to get it right!
I picked it up on saturday and did 230 miles on sunday. I love it!! But I do not like the rover fitted wheels.
So please Not wanting to part with 2k as I have paint and roof issues to sort.
I just want to get it back to how it should be.

Ta Jules
JulesBS2

Return to Elan Parts - Wanted