“Trust me, this is way better than a Mazda 3”, #378 (Steve)

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, Nige, Elanlover, Sy V, muley, Enright, algirdas, nitroman, GeoffSmith, clemo, Dave Eds, Specky, DaveT

Re: “Trust me, this is way better than a Mazda 3”, #378 (Ste

Postby TorqueHorse » Tue 04.05.2021, 14:00

Oh no, it's contagious! That stinks. :( At least you were able to get it out. :lol:

Painted calipers and polished piston look great! I can't believe you are ruining that beautiful workbench with actual car part work though ;)

Did you upgrade to stainless brake lines, or did you already have them? Looking good!
'90 FED M100 -mid resto
Chassis Exterior FrSus RrSus Engine Trans Wheels Steering Brakes Cooling Fuel Ventilation Exhaust Interior
TorqueHorse
Fanatic

Postby 378S2 » Tue 04.05.2021, 15:11

All done and test drive complete. I had a little bit of fun sourcing new flexible hose retaining clips after one of them went pinging across the garage never to be seen again.

Before I started the previous owner had already done a very good job of painting them black whilst still on the car, so apart from the shiny new hoses that you can’t see anyway everything looks exactly as it was. However, the difference in stopping is immense, it’s gone from a solid pedal with on/off capabilities to a graduated system that feels just like a proper car. Pads and rotors were a bit frivolous since there was plenty of life in them but you can’t spend too much on safety right?

TorqueHorse wrote:I can't believe you are ruining that beautiful workbench with actual car part work though ;)

Did you upgrade to stainless brake lines, or did you already have them? Looking good!

Thanks Matt - no the hoses are new, I wanted to know I could rely on the system and they weren’t so badly priced. As for the bench, man the fluid has upset my varnish and the hammering has left some dents in the merbau hardwood top…
Attachments
0DCCD217-1E26-4BC4-9E44-FDD07D319AC6.jpeg
Nothing much to see really, but plenty to feel through the pedal.
BBB00567-C9D5-49C4-B309-B305E0AC40CE.jpeg
4D5953ED-0270-409B-8E5C-BE77FBBEA845.jpeg
I didn’t end up doing any touch up on the chips, but they look ok
D55122CF-6206-47D0-967A-AE05BFB0A11B.jpeg
Thankfully they’re not yellow.
378S2
Enthusiast

Postby dapinky » Tue 04.05.2021, 15:42

Charlie,

Just a thought on your flexi hoses, some people have reported that when fitted, they can rub on the tyre at full lock under suspension movement (heavy cornering!) - I see you have the 'protective springs' over the actual pipe, and it is pretty impossible to check for fowling with the car in the air, but I would suggest checking it after a bit of use to see if there are any signs of the tyre rubbing against the spring/hose.

I fed mine back a bit more through the rubber grommet and secured it with a cable tie when I did mine.

(not meaning to worry you - it isn't always a problem, but better to know that it's worth a check in a while!)
Dave

Just the one now, but this one's mine! - and it will be finished eventually.....

go on - click this link - you know you want to!
dapinky
LEC Administrator

Location: As far west as you can get in West Wales before you become Irish (Pembroke Dock).

Postby 378S2 » Tue 04.05.2021, 16:16

Hi Dave - thanks very much for the tip. Yes I reused the spring just because I was a bit paranoid about it rubbing but I was looking at the suspension not the tyre so this is a great help thank you.

Thanks for all your help on the master cylinder - I’ve got the smaller bore one on order from the UK now.

I’m George by the way, must sort my footer. I don’t mean to be mysterious!
378S2
Enthusiast

Postby dapinky » Tue 04.05.2021, 18:03

378S2 wrote:I’m George by the way, must sort my footer. I don’t mean to be mysterious!

Oops my bad - where did I get the idea that you were Charlie? (I know from the PMs that you're George) - maybe I'm going senile or just plain mad???
Dave

Just the one now, but this one's mine! - and it will be finished eventually.....

go on - click this link - you know you want to!
dapinky
LEC Administrator

Location: As far west as you can get in West Wales before you become Irish (Pembroke Dock).

Previous

Return to Projects - Other (Minor)