One touch window up/down control

Start your Group Buy threads here for anything pertaining to the M100

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, Nige, Elanlover, Sy V, muley, Enright, algirdas, nitroman, GeoffSmith, clemo, Dave Eds, Specky, DaveT

Re: One touch window up/down control

Postby Elanlover » Sun 19.01.2014, 01:08

stevebow wrote:Not exactly automatic but My elan has the ability to wind up the windows from the alarm fob if I press and hold one of the buttons for a couple of seconds, it's a toad alarm I can dig out the model number if it helps.

I have the same thing with my Viper aftermarket alarm. I'm going to disconnect the feature after I install the module though. The only time I ever want to roll up the windows all the way automatically is when I lock the car and walk away. This module will do that for me. I rarely, if ever, need to roll the windows down all the way with the key fob and never from outside the car. Again, this module will do that from inside the car with a quick tap of the window button.

There is the possibility that operating the windows with some form of automatic action (close doors and windows roll up as an example) might cause this module to become confused. I suspect that operating the windows through an alarm and key fob will be ok if properly wired.
I do whatever my Rice Crispies tell me to do
Elanlover

Postby Elanlover » Sun 19.01.2014, 15:02

1) Elanlover
2) DaveB - love it... Would consider item 2 in your 'considerations' a bonus too!
3) Pinky (can't see the problem with item 1 - just wire it up for us English owners!!!!) - in all reality, the 'extras' matter not to me either way.
4) Epipete
5) PDH - Item 6 would be the most useful for me as it may then lead as said to some different profile of seal being used, with better sealing qualities and maybe lasting longer.
6)Avonvilla
7)Novacaine
8 )Fetnas
9) Jeemy
10)KevB
11) Cliff - My Alfa GT has the auto drop, works really well. Happy to send diagrams if they are any help.
12) lotos (Randy) - assuming the instructions are simple enough for a dimwitted moron such as myself to install, I'm in!
13) stevebow - as Lotos said I'm in if the instructions are for a dimwit
14) TB10
15) TB10
16) TB10
17) RichardK
Elanlover

Postby Elanlover » Mon 27.01.2014, 14:44

Here's a few updates for everyone.

First off, the module is supposed to come with some micro switches to allow you to 1) disable/enable the module (returns it to "stock operation" and back to "module controlled" operation) and, 2) disable/enable the "auto-wind-up-when-doors-are-locked" (will come up with a better and shorter name for this one day soon). These switches will be eliminated and handled through software by a series of button pushes so you won't have to go digging for the module to turn features on/off.

Secondly, the designer was laid up with some minor surgery so we're set back a little bit. However, the programming is complete and is being optimized right now. This means its being tested for operational effectiveness, efficiency, practical use (is 2 seconds long enough for a push, etc.) and bugs through a simulator. This should be finished by the end of the week or early next week after which the prototype module will be built. We're hoping that 2 units will be available for testing, along with install and operational instructions, by the week of February 17.

Lastly, we need two volunteers to test it out and report back if there are any problems to be addressed. Testers need to be in the UK and we need one SE and one S2 owner. Since this will be a test the module will not need to be permanently installed - sitting it on the centre console connected to the appropriate wires while you play with it will be fine. I suspect the hardest part of the whole process will be identifying the location of the wires to be tapped into. However, between all of us here, we should be able to identify the easiest place to tap the wires. I'm hopeful that the final version of the install and operations guide will be resplendent in gory details and possibly include schematics, etc.

So, who can test out these units when they are ready?
Elanlover

Postby cliff » Mon 27.01.2014, 17:54

Blair,

happy to be the SE guinea pig for this.

After too many years of doing wiring on Boeing's, time for a real challenge. :D
91 Lotus Elan SE Turbo
03 MG TF 135 Sprint (Partner's)
15 Renault Megane Coupe

If you can't be a good example, then you might as well be a terrible warning
cliff
God

Postby Elanlover » Mon 27.01.2014, 17:59

cliff wrote:Blair,

happy to be the SE guinea pig for this.

After too many years of doing wiring on Boeing's, time for a real challenge. :D

Thanks Cliff. Are you in the UK? I ask only because your avatar information says you're in Belgium/UK. If the UK that's great and when we get closer I'll get your mailing info.

Just need an S2 volunteer now.
Elanlover

Postby dapinky » Mon 27.01.2014, 19:20

Blair,

I know we talked previously about me having a go with the prototype, but with the timing, I would prefer not to have to do it (Clive has offered, and I'm not throwing my teddy out of the pram!) - it doesn't leave a whole lot of time for me to play with it before going away for a few weeks - and I'm hoping to get the car resprayed whilst I'm away, so will be busy dismantling it at about that time anyway.
Dave

Just the one now, but this one's mine! - and it will be finished eventually.....

go on - click this link - you know you want to!
dapinky
LEC Administrator

Location: As far west as you can get in West Wales before you become Irish (Pembroke Dock).

Postby Jeemy » Mon 27.01.2014, 20:47

I am actually more able to be a guinea pig now than I thought I would be. Am SE so if Cliff can do it, grand. If not, I am confident that I can do it efficiently - things are much smoother now.
T: 0800 084 3084
M: 07391 295 146
Jeemy
God

Postby cliff » Mon 27.01.2014, 22:00

I only work in Belgium, (2wks on/2 wks off), the rest of the time I am pretty much UK based.

So up to you guys.

Are the window controls on the S2 so different? A quick look at diagrams and locations shows that they are pretty similar.

Then again, every Boeing is different, wiring diagrams are listed per aircraft variant number, even in a small fleet, the differences can be astounding. So who knows what Hethel have done to us. :)
91 Lotus Elan SE Turbo
15 Renault Megane Coupe

cliff
God

Postby Elanlover » Mon 27.01.2014, 22:05

cliff wrote:I only work in Belgium, (2wks on/2 wks off), the rest of the time I am pretty much UK based.

So up to you guys.

Are the window controls on the S2 so different? A quick look at diagrams and locations shows that they are pretty similar.

Then again, every Boeing is different, wiring diagrams are listed per aircraft variant number, even in a small fleet, the differences can be astounding. So who knows what Hethel have done to us. :)

Just checking to make sure you'd be local when it was shipped out :-D Besides, there may be some advantages to having someone used to dealing with wiring test it out :lol: As for differences between the two versions, the main difference seems to be that the S2's stock alarm system has some different wiring for the door locks. So, to be sure this works on all models, we need someone with an S2 to test it out as well.
Elanlover

Postby cliff » Tue 28.01.2014, 01:37

Good plan, but maybe you should send Jamie one as well in case things change later in the year. :)

My Mum was born in Dundee, so won't be happy if things go the wrong way. :cry:
91 Lotus Elan SE Turbo
15 Renault Megane Coupe

cliff
God

Postby sirsy » Wed 29.01.2014, 18:43

Hi Guys

Just spotted this, I am in if I haven't missed the boat!

1) Elanlover
2) DaveB
3) Pinky
4) Epipete
5) PDH
6)Avonvilla
7)Novacaine
8 )Fetnas
9) Jeemy
10)KevB
11) Cliff
12) lotos (Randy) - assuming the instructions are simple enough for a dimwitted moron such as myself to install, I'm in!
14) TB10
15) TB10
16) TB10
17) RichardK
18) Sirsy
Calypso Red S2 No 481
sirsy

Postby Elanlover » Fri 31.01.2014, 19:24

Looks like the software has passed testing and we're on to the prototype module build then bench testing for it.
Elanlover

Postby novacaine » Sat 01.02.2014, 00:52

Nice! Can't wait to see it

1994 Lotus Elan S2 #170 (Steel Blue)
novacaine
Fanatic

Postby lotusnut » Sun 02.02.2014, 21:11

Just found this, very interested, one question, why not have a sensor on the roof so that the window drop and close only operate with the roof up?
1991 Elan SE Turbo, 1976 Elite 501,1975 Elan +2S 130/5 and Passat TDi Est.
lotusnut
Fanatic

Postby Elanlover » Sun 02.02.2014, 22:04

lotusnut wrote:Just found this, very interested, one question, why not have a sensor on the roof so that the window drop and close only operate with the roof up?

Simplicity, simplicity and cost.

Simplicity of the module itself in that its one less point of failure. Simplicity of installation in that its one less sensor (micro switch or similar) that has to be wired up and installed properly. All the above means less failures in operation and installation. Cost in that its simply less money, both on the hardware and programming side.

The auto reseal will only operate if the windows are already all the way up. So, if your windows are down even a crack (roof up or not) there's no need to run the task. A sensor doesn't help here. If the roof's up and the windows are up then the task would run whether there's a sensor or not. Its only if the roof is down and the windows are up that having a sensor would be useful. Given the added complexity and cost for a sensor that comes into play in only this particular case (everyone's different but less than a third of the time perhaps?) it wasn't worth including in the build.
Elanlover

Postby Elanlover » Tue 04.02.2014, 14:52

1) Elanlover
2) DaveB
3) Pinky
4) Epipete
5) PDH
6)Avonvilla
7)Novacaine
8 )Fetnas
9) Jeemy
10)KevB
11) Cliff
14) TB10
15) TB10
16) TB10
17) RichardK
18) Sirsy
19) Elanlover- why buy one when you can buy two at twice the price (always good to have a spare)

I should add that, while obvious to most, the price for this module after the initial Group Buy is complete will likely be much higher in the future. I suspect that the designer will continue to be able to offer it but obviously not for the same price if you're buying just one.
Elanlover

Postby lotusnut » Tue 04.02.2014, 20:04

1) Elanlover
2) DaveB
3) Pinky
4) Epipete
5) PDH
6)Avonvilla
7)Novacaine
8 )Fetnas
9) Jeemy
10)KevB
11) Cliff
14) TB10
15) TB10
16) TB10
17) RichardK
18) Sirsy
19) Elanlover- why buy one when you can buy two at twice the price (always good to have a spare)
20) lotusnut
I should add that, while obvious to most, the price for this module after the initial Group Buy is complete will likely be much higher in the future. I suspect that the designer will continue to be able to offer it but obviously not for the same price if you're buying just one.[/quote]
1991 Elan SE Turbo, 1976 Elite 501,1975 Elan +2S 130/5 and Passat TDi Est.
lotusnut
Fanatic

Postby chrisP » Thu 20.02.2014, 16:09

I have just seen this thread. Loving the idea and the possibility it opens up with redesigning the A pillar seals!!

1) Elanlover
2) DaveB
3) Pinky
4) Epipete
5) PDH
6)Avonvilla
7)Novacaine
8 )Fetnas
9) Jeemy
10)KevB
11) Cliff
14) TB10
15) TB10
16) TB10
17) RichardK
18) Sirsy
20) lotusnut
21) ChrisP
chrisP
Fanatic

Postby Elanlover » Thu 20.02.2014, 16:27

Quick Update:

I'm waiting to hear back on when a couple of test units will be available. Should know shortly.
Elanlover

Postby Elanlover » Sat 22.02.2014, 23:51

While we do have a few people who have offered to volunteer to test the module is there anyone close to Chelmsford, Essex (approximately 25 miles east of London) who would be willing to volunteer? The designer would be interested in seeing the car and testing out a few things if possible. So, if someone is reasonably close and can be in that area it might help. Just Pm me if that's you. Thanks!
Elanlover

PreviousNext

Return to Group Buys