Fuel Tank questions

Leads, coils, plugs, starters, starting probs etc.

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, Nige, Elanlover, Sy V, muley, Enright, algirdas, nitroman, GeoffSmith, clemo, Dave Eds, Specky, DaveT

Fuel Tank questions

Postby FunElan » Wed 05.01.2022, 21:01

Hi all,

Done a fair bit of searching but haven't found what I'm looking for yet:

- I recently refit the fuel inlet pipe to the tank, as it had fallen off somehow. My federal car had the tank replaced under a recall. Were the replacement tanks updated at all, or just identical to the originals?

- Does the fuel pump make noise? I occasionally hear a “pumping” sound from the tank area, but not like a constant electric fuel pump sound. More like a mechanical sound, like pumping water out of a well. I figured our pumps weren't mechanical though. It also will happen after shutoff for a few seconds as well.

Thanks,
Matt
FunElan
Enthusiast

Re: Fuel Tank questions

Postby TorqueHorse » Sat 08.01.2022, 01:17

Hey Matt,
Check out this service bulletin (page 12 of the pdf) that talks about the replacement tanks. "Revised moulding with improved resistance to joint line leakage"
Don't know what was revised exactly though, but I don't think it would affect your fuel filler hose coming off the tank...

Couldn't really say about the sound you described...Mine "whirrs" or "errnns" when on.
'90 FED M100 -mid resto
Chassis Exterior FrSus RrSus Engine Trans Wheels Steering Brakes Cooling Fuel Ventilation Exhaust Interior
TorqueHorse
Fanatic

Postby FunElan » Sat 08.01.2022, 18:08

Well we'll see...I hope I don't get any splits any time soon...there are too many other little issues to fix!

I'll have to get a video of the noise
FunElan
Enthusiast

Postby M100-NC » Sat 08.01.2022, 22:41

The replacement tanks were redesigned and from a different manufacturer.

I checked a few years ago to see if they would make some more since some of the early version tanks were never replaced under the recall.

Lotus also changed the square fuel tank to body pads quantity and material.
The first version was A100L0089H and was replaced by B100L0089H.

I would also suggest that you look at the venting system for the tank.

When it gets "hot", petrol will expand and and it's fumes will create enough pressure to push off the tank hoses.

If the vent system isn't working correctly, the extra pressure can push the filler hose off the nipple.

Check the filler neck to see if someone has over-tightened the filler hose clamp which may have crushed the nipple.

They really should have put a thin sleeve inside the filler nipple so the plastic was better able to handle the hose clamp squeeze.

You could always use two hose clamps to hold the hose to the neck since two clamps at the correct tightness will be better than one over-tightened clamp
I am in the US and have a LARGE collection of M100 parts available for sale, both new and used.
M100-NC

Postby FunElan » Sun 09.01.2022, 21:56

Good info John, thanks. A little comforting knowing it's updated. Next time I'm in there I'll take a closer look at all of the venting hoses, and I"ll loosen up the clamp a bit. When I tightened it, I made sure not to crank it down hard.
FunElan
Enthusiast

Postby FunElan » Sat 15.01.2022, 06:16

TorqueHorse wrote:Hey Matt,
Check out this service bulletin (page 12 of the pdf) that talks about the replacement tanks. "Revised moulding with improved resistance to joint line leakage"
Don't know what was revised exactly though, but I don't think it would affect your fuel filler hose coming off the tank...

Couldn't really say about the sound you described...Mine "whirrs" or "errnns" when on.

I think I figured out the sound. It's the sound of fuel sloshing around in the tank when I pull up to a stop :lol:

Did a brake test and it became pretty obvious. I had just filled up too.
FunElan
Enthusiast

Return to Ignition and fuelling