Fumes in Cabin

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, Specky, clemo, Nige, Sy V, Dave Eds, DaveT, Elanlover, muley, Enright, algirdas, nitroman, GeoffSmith

Fumes in Cabin

Postby pte123 » Wed 12.08.2026, 13:12

Hi, I wonder if someone could help. I'm getting engine fumes into my cabin. I just purchased the car about a month ago. Doug on the M100 facebook suggested I look on here for a thread by Marie, but I've looked a lot and can't find anything.

I looked in the manuals and I think the air goes into the cabin though this area on the passenger side (I have a Fed LHD car). It looks like someone has installed a rodent stopper here. Am I missing anything that may help blocking the engine fumes?

Help appreciated!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
pte123
Newbie
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed 29.05.2019, 14:11

Re: Fumes in Cabin

Postby TorqueHorse » Thu 13.08.2026, 05:12

Sorry to hear about the fumes. Well the engine bay doesn't even smell like engine fumes, so that is weird. Maybe your evaporative emmisions control canister is leaking? That is under the plastic tray that the convertible top rests in. Are the fumes when it is at rest, or when you are driving? I assume top up and windows up? Are the fumes stronger in one area over another?
-Matt N
'91 FED M100 -rolling resto

...and come to Salt Lake City, for the very first truly national Lotus Car Club event for the USA: LUG September 24-28, 2026
User avatar
TorqueHorse
Fanatic
 
Posts: 727
Joined: Wed 01.01.2020, 07:42
Location: Austin, TX

Re: Fumes in Cabin

Postby pte123 » Thu 13.08.2026, 15:55

Thanks Matt. I'll do some more investigating. One thing for sure is that I haven't had the top up since I had the car, hence one of the reasons why I thought it was coming in through the air con (I did have that on as it's been over 90 degrees in Boston) and I've mainly been around town. Cheers!
pte123
Newbie
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed 29.05.2019, 14:11

Re: Fumes in Cabin

Postby simonbuk » Sat 12.09.2026, 12:05

What fumes though ? Exhuast fumes ? Hot engine fumes/smells ? Petrol fumes ?
Black S2 No.357
Aqua Blue S2 No.385
Simonthesailor

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did. So buy an Elan" - Mark Twain.
User avatar
simonbuk
God
 
Posts: 1601
Joined: Sun 13.03.2016, 12:50
Location: Mostly Worthing,West Sussex, sometimes the canals.......

Re: Fumes in Cabin

Postby tigerdog » Mon 05.10.2026, 19:24

That's the one! The "rodent stopper" is (I believe) simply the remnants of what should be a complete hose/duct that allows fresh air to be drawn in. The remainder was probably foam that self-destructed over the years. I can't seem to find the post to which I referred... but I did end up buying a replacement from LGM, back in the day. At any rate, here's a picture and the official part number:

A100P0096F Foam Connector, HVAC wheel arch duct to plenum

[img]
duct.jpg
[/img]
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Refitting is the reverse sequence to removal, but you swear in different places."
User avatar
tigerdog
God
 
Posts: 2715
Joined: Tue 20.03.2007, 09:07
Location: San Diego, CA, USA


Return to Engine

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests