Small (or maybe not) project. 91 elan

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, Specky, clemo, Nige, Sy V, Dave Eds, DaveT, Elanlover, muley, Enright, algirdas, nitroman, GeoffSmith

Re: Small (or maybe not) project. 91 elan

Postby Tuga2112 » Sat 28.05.2016, 13:04

alan e wrote:If its the back exhaust box you need i have one you can have if its any help its only done about 200 miles i dont want anything for it i will be happy to get it out of the way.


Most appreciated for the offer alan.
I will have to double check, but i suspect the hole will be in the middle section, (the same place where it gone wrong last year)

UPDATE
i decided to bite the bullet and get the rear hubs from SJ in order to speed up the process of putting my car on the road.
this have been ordered and paid for already.

so the only issue "pending" is the exhaust.
which i have been to a local garage that does the job, and was estimated at around 500 quid for the whole job (with a silcencer included)

Opinions on this price please ? I was looking/hoping for this to cost something around 250 to 350 quid. am I just delusional as far as costs or am i picking the wrong garage ?

and finally.
I haven't done any research yet but may as well ask right now.
to remove the rear hubs. are we talking about a straight forward job like it is to separate the front hub from the driveshaft or am i in for a another day spent swearing at metal parts ?
Still learning
Youtube Channel @Tuga2112 M100 repair videos
User avatar
Tuga2112
God
 
Posts: 3057
Joined: Fri 12.09.2014, 22:54
Location: Durham with a regular trip to Walsall

Re: Small (or maybe not) project. 91 elan

Postby dapinky » Sat 28.05.2016, 18:40

Joao,

I'll answer here as opposed to by PM so that anyone else can throw in their 2p worth (as I'm not always right!!)....

For the exhaust, I went for the Piper system (and it was really straightforward to fit on the driveway), but others have gone for the Peco/Cybox system, which is very similar, but without quite so many options. The Cybox ones are often advertised on ebay, and can also be got from PNM Engineering (they market them as their own brand, but are made by Cybox - see here) - as for diameter, unless you are intending to do far more than the 'usual' chipping to increase power, you are unlikely to need 2 1/2", so i'd stick to 2 1/4".

The rear hubs are far far easier to replace than the front ones as they are a taper bearing fitting, not an interference fit.

Procedure for changing them is as per Workshop Manual, just don't do them up too tight when you reassemble them (they can overheat and expand/bind), and re-check the free play after driving the car to bed the bearings in.
Dave

Just the one now, but this one's mine! - and it will be finished eventually..... - but also temporary custodian of a project until it is finished enough for Angie to drive it


...oh, and a 2006 Freelander destined for the jungles of The Gambia - 4500 miles across roads, desert and tracks - what could possibly go wrong?
User avatar
dapinky
LEC Administrator
 
Posts: 10613
Joined: Sun 15.10.2006, 12:54
Location: As far west as you can get in West Wales before you become Irish (Pembroke Dock).

Re: Small (or maybe not) project. 91 elan

Postby Tuga2112 » Sat 28.05.2016, 20:29

Thanks for the tips Dave.

I looked at the 3 variants mentioned. and noticed the prices ranging from 290 for the loud PMN engineering version to the 550 quid from piper.

I was expecting PMN to be more expencive, was surprised to find it to be the cheaper option.
Is the loud version too loud on the motorway ? I quite fancy a loud exhaust but im wondering if the loud version is soo loud that during motorway driving i wont be able to listen to the radio?

From the PMN site i think the loud system can always be upgraded to be silenced if i get the silencer from the other system. if this is correct. Then i am defitiley gettingthe loud one. and if the noise is too much. can always upgrade next month when the hole in the wallet had some time to recover.
Still learning
Youtube Channel @Tuga2112 M100 repair videos
User avatar
Tuga2112
God
 
Posts: 3057
Joined: Fri 12.09.2014, 22:54
Location: Durham with a regular trip to Walsall

Re: Small (or maybe not) project. 91 elan

Postby Rambo » Sat 28.05.2016, 21:07

Tuga - if price is your main option is price, go with the big standard Cybox system from PNM. You can always retrofit an extra back box later to deaden the sound a bit. Disadvantage here of course is that you will pay extra for the 2nd back box and extra p and p. Whatever option you go for ask Peter Musgrove for a delivery date - I ordered the bog standard s/s Cybox system for my NMY recently and had to phone up and remind them I hadn't received it after 3/4 weeks

I have a Piper system on my black one and both systems are excellent and sound great

Not sure whether the Piper is worth the extra dosh though :roll:

PS I hate listening to the radio in the M100. I much prefer hearing the exhaust note !
User avatar
Rambo
Don't push me
 
Posts: 9144
Joined: Wed 24.12.2003, 00:37
Location: Both sides of the Tweed

Re: Small (or maybe not) project. 91 elan

Postby Brianabbot » Sat 28.05.2016, 21:24

Hi, I've recently fitted the cybox exhaust from pnm, I went for the extra silencer and I'm really glad I did, it sounds great and is loud enough. I don't think you'd be disappointed, the quality looks really good and the tailpipe fits the cut out really well.
User avatar
Brianabbot
Newbie
 
Posts: 41
Joined: Sat 30.01.2016, 00:40
Location: Icklesham

Re: Small (or maybe not) project. 91 elan

Postby Tuga2112 » Sat 28.05.2016, 21:55

cost is definitively a very important factor at the moment.
considering the hit on the wallet for the rear hubs/discs. you can easily see how i feel about it. (and regret dropping out of the last custom hubs run)

the major issue with money is not even the Elan (no, im not joking). Compared to my Celica GT4. this car is extremely cheap.
I have spent a good side of 700 quid in parts to put the GT4 through the MOT and still missing stuff to do (fixing ABS, welding, replace rear brake pipes).
Reason why i feel very happy about upgrading the exhaust system (instead of a cheap weld to fix the hole.)

Im starting to wonder if i should have saved up for an esprit instead of getting the gt4....

But back on track.
If the postage is the only money i am about to lose in this "upgrade" from loud to "silent" them im all up for it.
There is always the possiblity i like the loud one, and simply upgrade the speakers with the money saved :-D
Still learning
Youtube Channel @Tuga2112 M100 repair videos
User avatar
Tuga2112
God
 
Posts: 3057
Joined: Fri 12.09.2014, 22:54
Location: Durham with a regular trip to Walsall

Re: Small (or maybe not) project. 91 elan

Postby dapinky » Sun 29.05.2016, 11:45

Rambo wrote:Not sure whether the Piper is worth the extra dosh though :roll:


I have to agree - I got my Piper with the first group buy, and the price then was pretty similar to the peco system (now known as Cybox, due to change of ownership - not another one to worry about!), but with the 'modular' options, I got exactly what I wanted.

As for noise, well, one mans music is another mans' noise!!!

I have the single silencer Piper, and when I compared it with RIPs' double-box Piper at Castle Combe a few years ago there was little difference.

I don't find it excessively noisy, and it has always easily passed sound tests for track days, so can't be too bad.

I would suggest (as have others) to go for the cheaper 2 1/4" cybox, and save the cash for now - it can easily be upgraded at a later date.
Dave

Just the one now, but this one's mine! - and it will be finished eventually..... - but also temporary custodian of a project until it is finished enough for Angie to drive it


...oh, and a 2006 Freelander destined for the jungles of The Gambia - 4500 miles across roads, desert and tracks - what could possibly go wrong?
User avatar
dapinky
LEC Administrator
 
Posts: 10613
Joined: Sun 15.10.2006, 12:54
Location: As far west as you can get in West Wales before you become Irish (Pembroke Dock).

Re: Small (or maybe not) project. 91 elan

Postby Tuga2112 » Sun 29.05.2016, 17:32

seems like everyones opinions re-enforce my initial intention of getting the pmn loud system.
unfortunately its bank holiday weekend. i suspect pmn will be shut tomorow.

but with a bit of luck i can get the informatioln i need from you guys.
assuming i call pmn tuesday morning, and since they are near manchester (hour travel for me)
what are the chanses of them having a set ready for me to pick up tuesday afternoon?
can they fit it? any idea how much?

my plan is to get the exhaust tuesday, so wednesday i fit it, while all the brakes arrive same day.
thirsday fit all brake and friday pass mot.

i happened to have booked the whole week off so i can focus on this.
Still learning
Youtube Channel @Tuga2112 M100 repair videos
User avatar
Tuga2112
God
 
Posts: 3057
Joined: Fri 12.09.2014, 22:54
Location: Durham with a regular trip to Walsall

Re: Small (or maybe not) project. 91 elan

Postby Tuga2112 » Sun 29.05.2016, 17:45

Tuga2112 wrote:assuming i call pmn tuesday morning, and since they are near manchester (hour travel for me)


I meant liverpool, and more like 1 and half or 2 hours. either way, still close enough for me to be crazy enough to turn up with cash in hand....
Still learning
Youtube Channel @Tuga2112 M100 repair videos
User avatar
Tuga2112
God
 
Posts: 3057
Joined: Fri 12.09.2014, 22:54
Location: Durham with a regular trip to Walsall

Re: Small (or maybe not) project. 91 elan

Postby Fredjohn » Sun 29.05.2016, 18:01

Just to confuse you further I have a Powerflow exhaust fitted. 2 1/4" I think. Website http://www.powerflowexhausts.co.uk
They have branches in Stafford and Wolverhampton somewhat closer. May be worth a call. Single silencer nice sound, not too noisy on motorways, but a good rumble! But Powerflow not everybody's choice.
John
La vie passe vite: vivez la avec élan.

Elan SE turbo 1992
Emira 2023
Mercedes Benz C200 estate
Lotus Evija Danish edition
User avatar
Fredjohn
God
 
Posts: 2538
Joined: Tue 21.08.2012, 00:30
Location: Malvern, Worcs

Re: Small (or maybe not) project. 91 elan

Postby Tuga2112 » Sun 29.05.2016, 18:56

Fredjohn wrote:Just to confuse you further I have a Powerflow exhaust fitted. 2 1/4" I think. Website http://www.powerflowexhausts.co.uk
They have branches in Stafford and Wolverhampton somewhat closer. May be worth a call. Single silencer nice sound, not too noisy on motorways, but a good rumble! But Powerflow not everybody's choice.
John

Thanks, John.
I really needed some confusion thrown into the mix.
As your aware I am "very careful" with my finances. so I have requested a quote from powerflow, i believe their quote will include installation, which has its advantages. So i will let them try to sell their product.
at the moment im pretty inclined into the PMN/cybox system assuming i can get it in my garage ready for fitting before Friday. other LEC'ers seem positive about it, from both conversations in meetings and other posts floating around.
Still learning
Youtube Channel @Tuga2112 M100 repair videos
User avatar
Tuga2112
God
 
Posts: 3057
Joined: Fri 12.09.2014, 22:54
Location: Durham with a regular trip to Walsall

Re: Small (or maybe not) project. 91 elan

Postby GeoffSmith » Sun 29.05.2016, 20:16

The Peco/Cybox/PNM used to do my ancient, inefficient ears in on a long motorway run and I eventually bit the bullet and added the extra silencer. The difference was appreciable (but not as much as I was expecting) but in time seems to be getting better as a layer of carbon is built up - either that or my hearing is going! I had to change mine for an MoT and got one of the first from Peco - given the option, I'd probably go for the Piper.
Calypso Red S2 #417

USB ElanScan interfaces - £60 incl. UK P&P & £65 incl. ROW P&P
User avatar
GeoffSmith
Kitty Fiddler
 
Posts: 15628
Joined: Fri 03.02.2006, 21:57
Location: S2#417 in Tytherington, Gloucestershire

Re: Small (or maybe not) project. 91 elan

Postby Tuga2112 » Sun 29.05.2016, 20:19

GeoffSmith wrote:The Peco/Cybox/PNM used to do my ancient, inefficient ears in on a long motorway run and I eventually bit the bullet and added the extra silencer. The difference was appreciable (but not as much as I was expecting) but in time seems to be getting better as a layer of carbon is built up - either that or my hearing is going! I had to change mine for an MoT and got one of the first from Peco - given the option, I'd probably go for the Piper.


the PMN have a lifetime warranty for the buyer. why did you need to swap it if it was within warranty ? Im confused.
Still learning
Youtube Channel @Tuga2112 M100 repair videos
User avatar
Tuga2112
God
 
Posts: 3057
Joined: Fri 12.09.2014, 22:54
Location: Durham with a regular trip to Walsall

Re: Small (or maybe not) project. 91 elan

Postby GeoffSmith » Sun 29.05.2016, 20:28

I put the Peco on in May 2006 and added the PNM=Cybox=Peco extra silencer in 2014.
Calypso Red S2 #417

USB ElanScan interfaces - £60 incl. UK P&P & £65 incl. ROW P&P
User avatar
GeoffSmith
Kitty Fiddler
 
Posts: 15628
Joined: Fri 03.02.2006, 21:57
Location: S2#417 in Tytherington, Gloucestershire

Re: Small (or maybe not) project. 91 elan

Postby Rambo » Sun 29.05.2016, 21:15

I think I was 3rd in line for a Peco after Geoff and Monty. Fitted in 2006

Piper fitted approx 2011

Cybox fitted 2016

Very happy with all 3 systems :wink:
User avatar
Rambo
Don't push me
 
Posts: 9144
Joined: Wed 24.12.2003, 00:37
Location: Both sides of the Tweed

Re: Small (or maybe not) project. 91 elan

Postby Tuga2112 » Sun 29.05.2016, 21:37

I missunderstood what Geoff was trying to say.

Got a reply from a powerflow "dealer" he said he wouldnt be able to beat PMN price tag. and suggested to fix the current leak.

So seems like im going for the pmn/cybox route on tuesday hopefully i can get it same day by picking it up myself.

Im rather excited about this upgrade actually.

Apart from that, I got a small mod to update on the forum soon. but only after MOT is done.
Still learning
Youtube Channel @Tuga2112 M100 repair videos
User avatar
Tuga2112
God
 
Posts: 3057
Joined: Fri 12.09.2014, 22:54
Location: Durham with a regular trip to Walsall

Re: Small (or maybe not) project. 91 elan

Postby Rambo » Sun 29.05.2016, 22:12

I would check with PM that they have them in stock and ready for pick up before you make an unnecessary trip to Wallasey :?
User avatar
Rambo
Don't push me
 
Posts: 9144
Joined: Wed 24.12.2003, 00:37
Location: Both sides of the Tweed

Re: Small (or maybe not) project. 91 elan

Postby Tuga2112 » Sun 29.05.2016, 22:18

Rambo wrote:I would check with PM that they have them in stock and ready for pick up before you make an unnecessary trip to Wallasey :?


my plan is to call them first thing in the morning. if i get a green light, i can pay before setting off. or just get the cash and set off.

if they cant get it. i will contact cybox directly. as they sell it too but at an extra 20 quid. (im willing to put that extra money if i can get the set same day)
If its impossible to get the set before the weekend then im in trouble...
Still learning
Youtube Channel @Tuga2112 M100 repair videos
User avatar
Tuga2112
God
 
Posts: 3057
Joined: Fri 12.09.2014, 22:54
Location: Durham with a regular trip to Walsall

Re: Small (or maybe not) project. 91 elan

Postby Rambo » Mon 30.05.2016, 10:26

Tuga2112 wrote:
Rambo wrote:I would check with PM that they have them in stock and ready for pick up before you make an unnecessary trip to Wallasey :?


my plan is to call them first thing in the morning. if i get a green light, i can pay before setting off. or just get the cash and set off.

if they cant get it. i will contact cybox directly. as they sell it too but at an extra 20 quid. (im willing to put that extra money if i can get the set same day)
If its impossible to get the set before the weekend then im in trouble...


Will they even be open ? Remember, it's a May bank holiday and everything in Englandshire grinds to a halt :?
User avatar
Rambo
Don't push me
 
Posts: 9144
Joined: Wed 24.12.2003, 00:37
Location: Both sides of the Tweed

Re: Small (or maybe not) project. 91 elan

Postby Tuga2112 » Mon 30.05.2016, 18:11

Rambo wrote:Will they even be open ? Remember, it's a May bank holiday and everything in Englandshire grinds to a halt :?


You are absolutely correct that neither of them are open today. Although i did intend to call them tuesday/tomorow

in the meanwhile the local "performance car specialist" garage has emailed me a quote for £325 for an exhaust fitted. the extra 25 quid are definitely worth the hours spend in the driveway fitting a cybox miself.

my question is. will there be a performance difference assuming both are 2.25 bore ?
Still learning
Youtube Channel @Tuga2112 M100 repair videos
User avatar
Tuga2112
God
 
Posts: 3057
Joined: Fri 12.09.2014, 22:54
Location: Durham with a regular trip to Walsall

PreviousNext

Return to Projects - Other (Minor)

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests