New HT leads finally arrived today.
Fitted but still have an intermittent loss of sparks but only on no.1 and no.3.
Idling in the garage , runs nice and smooth then every now and again it looses the spark to 1 & 3. I can see this when checking with a timing strobe and just pointing it at the engine. Checking each lead in turn and waiting for the dip in revs. They are of course on different coils although physically close on the coil mountings, they are the middle two closest together.
I was a bit disappointed, but as it seems to be worse now i'm convinced its something i have just disturbed that has made it worse.
I have just fitted a copper mesh shrouding cable sleeve around the lead from the CAS to the coil packs , but haven’t connected it to any earth yet and insulated the original sheathing. I did have the CAS unplugged so will have to look at the plug and socket . I disturbed the bunch of cables to/from the coil pack plugs.
I noted an engine run point time when this event occurred at around 546 seconds . 1&3 lost their sparks and the engine speed dropped . The manifold vacuum deteriorated at the same time. That could be cause or effect , not sure. I think i can prove which by artificially pulling a steady MAP vacuum with a test pump i have . . Leave it set at a steady 0.36bar and see if the lost sparking still occcurs.
At around 818s i switched to service mod for an IAC bypass adjustment.
Also I wonder if anyone tried this before but with the "Waste spark" ignition system, I can't see why i can't swap no1 coil lead position for no.4 and then no. 2 for no.3 ?? . If i actually have a coil problem it should then cause 2 and 4 to loose their sparks intermittently.
When considering the waste spark system, I can see the frantic flashing on my strobe for both sparks at no.2 & no.4 but on 1 & 3 i only see half the flash rate , and then the occasional complete loss.
Any thoughts and comments welcomed
Chas 54
new ht leads on 1 and 3 idling.zip
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.